Verizon reports sales of 4.2 million iPhones during holiday quarter

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple isn't scheduled to report its holiday quarterly sales until January 24, but Verizon Wireless has just noted that it has sold 4.2 million iPhones in the last three months of 2011, double its previous quarterly figure.

Speaking at the Citi Global Entertainment Media & Communications Conference today, Verizon's chief financial officer Fran Shammo outed his company's iPhone sales figure (as noted by Streetinsider).

The future was more than double the 2 million iPhones Verizon sold in the previous quarter; in comparison, AT&T sold 2.7 million phones in the third calendar quarter ending in September (it hasn't released fourth quarter sales figures yet).

In total, Apple reported sales of just over 17 million iPhones in the September quarter (its fiscal Q4 2011). Analysts had guessed Apple would reach sales of 20-22 million or more, despite the delayed released of the new iPhone 4S and the tempering affect on sales created by the expectation of a new model around the corner.

The fact that Verizon doubled its iPhone sales even as Apple's US market was expanded to include Sprint and the smaller regional carrier C Spire Wireless indicates the combination of the iPhone 4S, a lower priced iPhone 4, and the now free with contract iPhone 3GS (which is only available on AT&T's network in the US) has resulted in plenty of sales opportunities for every US carrier.

In its last conference call, Apple noted that it now has 130 carriers worldwide in 105 countries, and that the delay of the iPhone 4S release resulted in Q4 sales being only up 21 percent over the year ago quarter.

Apple's chief executive Tim Cook stated, "I'm confident that we will set an all-time record for iPhones this quarter." He added, "We're thrilled with how we've gotten started (with the 4S). The feedback that we're getting from customers is just fantastic."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So they only mentioned iPhones, not all handsets or smartphones?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I think Apple is going to have a blowout Q4 2011 quarter even if the rumours point to less than expected iPad sales. The iPhone plays a big part in Apple margins.

• Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So they only mentioned iPhones, not all handsets or smartphones?

Because it had a negative impact on there margins. It was an investors warning for next quarter. VZ stock plunged in last minutes of trading.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    If we are even in the ball park of the previous quarter's numbers, VZ represented 2 out of 17 million iphones. Lets make it an even 12% to error on the side of caution. Now if 4.2 million VZ iphones is around 12% of this quarter's total, we have 35 million iphones sold.... woooow.!

ummmm, I think AAPL will go up if that is the case... This could be the moment we have been waiting for here...!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Because it had a negative impact on there margins. It was an investors warning for next quarter. VZ stock plunged in last minutes of trading.

I'm not sure what you mean by "plunged," but VZ closed down only 1.31% . . . and after hours it was unchanged.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ko024 View Post

If we are even in the ball park of previous quarter's numbers, VZ represented 2 out of 17 million iphones. Lets make it an even 12% to error on the side of caution. Now if 4.2 million VZ iphones is around 12% of this years total, we have 35 million iphones sold.... woooow.!

ummmm, I think AAPL will go up if that is the case... This could be the moment we have been waiting for here...!!!!

Yes indeed. But Apple didn't do well in Europe in Q4 so maybe 32 billions instead of 35.

AAPL better do well because my AAPL position in my portfolio is at maximum, which is 30%. Actually my max is suppose to be 20% but I cheated because I am pretty sure the stock will rise prior and after the earnings.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "plunged," but VZ closed down only 1.31% . . . and after hours it was unchanged.

Yep, it looked worst in the day trading chart that it really is. Its not a bad thing long term its just that it affect margins short term.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

...it had a negative impact on their margins.

Sold too many iPhones.

Poor babies. Maybe this is why they run so freakin many Android ads.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Mexico has reported that their sales of Chihuahua's have gone up in the last year from 12 million in 2010 to 120 million in 2011. Mexico accredits the large sales mainly to North Korea. Mexican officials said that North Korea promises not to eat them.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

Yes indeed. But Apple didn't do well in Europe in Q4...

Got a source for this?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks.

With knowledge that the iPhone is more heavily subsidized, that smartphones of similar capacities are sold at the same price, the iPhone has a much better resale value than other phones, a better more secure ecosystem, and longer consistent update cycle it's a wonder why one would choose an Android phone. Because it can be rooted can't be the primary reason. I could see carriers pushing Android over the iPhone as many oddly do listen to minimum wage retail employees even after getting sage advice from family and friends.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Got a source for this?

Seriously! I haven't heard anything about the iPhone not selling in Europe.

edit: Found link to article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BL0FU20111222

It's funny that despite this worldwide economic downturn the iPhone has become the world's most popular and profitable smartphone, and the smartphone market has exploded despite all this economic turmoil. I'm sure Apple's number will break records once again. BTW, the article states that Google dominates smartphones but they sell very few smartphones that are Google branded. What they dominate is the smartphone OS used by dozens upon dozens of vendors. Not the same thing. It's like saying Windows is a personal computer.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Yes indeed. But Apple didn't do well in Europe in Q4 so maybe 32 which is still high end bullish. AAPL better do well because I am full in at 30% exposure.

WTF are you talking about?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Yep, it look worst that is really is in the day trading chart. Its not a bad thing long term its just that it affect margins short term.

Repeat my question above.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks.

With knowledge that the iPhone is more heavily subsidized, that smartphones of similar capacities are sold at the same price, the iPhone has a much better resale value than other phones, a better more secure ecosystem, and longer consistent update cycle it's a wonder why one would choose an Android phone. Because it can be rooted can't be the primary reason. I could see carriers pushing Android over the iPhone as many oddly do listen to minimum wage retail employees even after getting sage advice from family and friends.

I had an interesting commentary from a co-worker. He could get a nice Samsung phone for $0, or an iPhone 3GS for $0 for his kid. The kid would much rather get the Samsung phone than a two and a half year old design from Apple... and was happy with the gift. His issue wasn't the initial cost of the phone, simply the family politics if the daughter got a better phone than his wife or the son already had.

Apple is making a killing off every iPhone sold, but they are getting behind, and risk becoming the next RIM. I really hope they can pull off a better competitor to Samsung while they have a strong hand to play.

...but I am in no way concerned about their profits for 2012!!
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I had an interesting commentary from a co-worker. He could get a nice Samsung phone for $0, or an iPhone 3GS for $0 for his kid. The kid would much rather get the Samsung phone than a two and a half year old design from Apple... and was happy with the gift. His issue wasn't the initial cost of the phone, simply the family politics if the daughter got a better phone than his wife or the son already had.

Apple is making a killing off every iPhone sold, but they are getting behind, and risk becoming the next RIM. I really hope they can pull off a better competitor to Samsung while they have a strong hand to play.

...but I am in no way concerned about their profits for 2012!!

How are they becoming the next RiM? RiM's problem was not evolving and advancing their HW, OS or ecosystem. They sat on their laurels with a souped up pager phone that banked on profitable backend HW and services. Apple has been leading and controlling the charge since 2007 and up today. They had added more features that integrate their devices with other devices (like AirPlay), design their own ARM SoC/PoP and now are looking to do the same for NAND, and they still pushing the envelope of iOS and Xcode efficiency. They are no RiM by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

How are they becoming the next RiM? RiM's problem was not evolving and advancing their HW, OS or ecosystem. They sat on their laurels with a souped up pager phone that banked on profitable{...} backend HW and services.

Apple has been leading and controlling the charge since 2007 and up today. They had added more features that integrate their devices with other devices (like AirPlay), design their own ARM SoC/PoP and now are looking to do the same for NAND, and they still pushing the envelope of iOS and Xcode efficiency. They are no RiM by any stretch of the imagination.

What killed RIM was resting on their laurels as you stated. Thinking that the things that had been successful for them in the past would continue doing so. Samsung has out-advertised Apple, and is gaining mindshare. Some people (sadly a growing contingent) think that their phones are better than Apple's. Google is becoming cool again... like 3 years ago.

Apple might not be able to keep up the 12-month phone release cycle; can they adapt effectively to a 6-9 month cycle like the rest of the industry if the mind-share starts to erode?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,684member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Samsung has out-advertised Apple, and is gaining mindshare. Some people (sadly a growing contingent) think that their phones are better than Apple's. Google is becoming cool again... like 3 years ago.

Samsung, you mean the company that just told the customers of its previously best line of phones that they will not be getting an upgrade to the latest version of Android. Or all the suckers who bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab only to learn they couldn't upgrade to Android 3 just six months later! Is that the kind of mindshare they are gaining? A company that once they they take your money, they turn their back and run. In the short term Samsung may grab a ton of market share, but in the long run, they will lose a good chunk of it due to poor customer service and support.

I think you have misinterpreted why Samsung's market share is growing and it has nothing to with marketing, but more with out "modeling" the competition. Samsung makes more models of phones than any other company in the world. They have absolutely no focus and zero attention to detail. They see a competitors device, clone it, and flood the market with it. They do this in all areas of consumer electronics, not just smartphones.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Got a source for this?

Got it on Quebec news station RDI. They broadcast "France 2" (euro station) news for 1/2 hour in the evening. According to the report, in some EU countries, lots of people went for cheap android phone instead of Apple because of the financial crises.

All I get on google is a bunch of Samsung VS Apple crap when I try to search for this news. Trying in french since I ear it in french... I got 100+ hits in french. Here are some...

http://www.macworld.fr/2011/12/22/ip...iphone/522997/

http://lci.tf1.fr/high-tech/l-iphone...e-6894137.html

Apparently, Android phones have 60% market shares of holiday sales in Germany and France. Apple market share drop around 7% depending on countries, except UK where Apple market share rose.

Thanks SolipsismX for finding it in english.

Quote:

Seriously! I haven't heard anything about the iPhone not selling in Europe.

edit: Found link to article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BL0FU20111222

• Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Samsung, you mean the company that just told the customers of its previously best line of phones that they will not be getting an upgrade to the latest version of Android. Or all the suckers who bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab only to learn they couldn't upgrade to Android 3 just six months later! Is that the kind of mindshare they are gaining? A company that once they they take your money, they turn their back and run. In the short term Samsung may grab a ton of market share, but in the long run, they will lose a good chunk of it due to poor customer service and support.

I think you have misinterpreted why Samsung's market share is growing and it has nothing to with marketing, but more with out "modeling" the competition. Samsung makes more models of phones than any other company in the world. They have absolutely no focus and zero attention to detail. They see a competitors device, clone it, and flood the market with it. They do this in all areas of consumer electronics, not just smartphones.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have a Galaxy phone and I will never buy another Samsung Phone again after this one.