Survey suggests 50% growth in enterprise spending on Apple products in 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You want warm and fuzzy? Then don't start your interaction with someone by saying "What was it you were saying about not knowing what you're talking about?"

Then, when your ignorance is proven, don't go complaining that someone wasn't nice enough to you.

Dude- settle down. Anyone can prove their point and come off as an arrogant jerk and Internet "tough guy". It takes effort to help someone out or inform and educate them in a respectful manner.

I belong to two forums- this one and a Blu ray forum. This one has the most pompous and arrogant members I've seen. It is literally night and day. Such little respect- seriously. We're all here for similar reasons- is it so hard to be nice? The Blu ray forum is extremely nice and helpful because we all have the same passion- love of movies and high quality media. Aren't we all apple fans here?

Now please proceed to comment to me by calling me an idiot, say he started it, etc
  • Reply 62 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Aren't we all apple fans here?

That couldn't be further from reality.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That couldn't be further from reality.

Oh yeah \
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It seems to me that computing and mobile devices are separate markets in this context.

From my (possibly limited) experience, there is a clear move going on towards iPhones and iPads in enterprise environments, likely due to the poor hardware and software from RIM, their rumored imminent demise as a company, and the view (correct or otherwise) that iOS is best alternative from a security point of view. Plus everyone wants one. The transition, in an MS Exchange environment, is quite easy as iOS supports it just fine, and many IT departments have not been locked into RIM for so long that they are unwilling to change.

Desktop/laptop computing is a quite different story, where the IT people and workers have been using Windows for years and have no big reason to want to change. Quite the opposite in fact, since most IT depts. seem to know very little about Macs - probably because their services are rarely needed. In my organization (~ 10000 employees), the IT guys spend almost all their time working on Windows boxes, while the Mac users never call them. I suspect a switch to Macs would be a disaster for IT pros everywhere, both in terms of the initial transition headaches and then the later redundancies.

Steve Jobs - As quoted in Fortune (19 February 1996)l

Quote:

If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth — and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago.

Aviation in World War I

Quote:

At the start of the war, [reconnaissance] planes on either side were unarmed, and pilots from opposing sides would wave and smile at each other as they flew by each other, in a sort of “comraderie of the sky”. This harmony between pilots would not last for long, though. The first pilot to attack his opponent in the air is not recorded, but it most likely happened like this-a pilot whose friendly smile was answered by a thumbed nose or other rude gesture carried bricks or some other type of missile up with him on his next mission and gleefully dropped it on the first unsuspecting opponent he came across. Soon pilots began carrying rifles and pistols into the air and traded shots.

That moment, somewhere in 1914, where one "reconnaissance" pilot pulled out a pistol and shot at the other (or flipped him off) * -- changed warfare forever...

It was an iPod moment...

Steve didn't lose the war -- he simply changed the battlefield and the rules of engagement to where he had all the advantages.

* It would be ironic if modern air warfare started because of a simple gesture with a finger...

...Sorry, didn't mean to be rude -- I was merely scrolling my iPhone

Sent from my iPad assault.weapon!
  • Reply 65 of 89
    Quote:

In my organization (~ 10000 employees), the IT guys spend almost all their time working on Windows boxes, while the Mac users never call them. I suspect a switch to Macs would be a disaster for IT pros everywhere, both in terms of the initial transition headaches and then the later redundancies.

If the Mac users never call IT... that's a good thing!
  • Reply 66 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Desktop/laptop computing is a quite different story, where the IT people and workers have been using Windows for years and have no big reason to want to change. Quite the opposite in fact, since most IT depts. seem to know very little about Macs - probably because their services are rarely needed. In my organization (~ 10000 employees), the IT guys spend almost all their time working on Windows boxes, while the Mac users never call them. I suspect a switch to Macs would be a disaster for IT pros everywhere, both in terms of the initial transition headaches and then the later redundancies.

From an expense standpoint it's easier to to buy or lease non-Mac PCs as you can still have the same OS and apps but move between HW vendors for much cheaper than Mac pricing and the ability to have vendors compete for your business.

Notebooks and web standards made this a little easier for Apple to gain a little more traction in the Enterprise, but it's integrated devices like the iPhone and iPad that have given Apple a position that no other can compete with.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

If the Mac users never call IT... that's a good thing!

For everyone except the IT guys.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Hold on tight for AAPL $600.

Like grandma used to say, "from your mouth to God's ears."
  • Reply 69 of 89
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Dude- settle down. Anyone can prove their point and come off as an arrogant jerk and Internet "tough guy". It takes effort to help someone out or inform and educate them in a respectful manner.

I belong to two forums- this one and a Blu ray forum. This one has the most pompous and arrogant members I've seen. It is literally night and day. Such little respect- seriously. We're all here for similar reasons- is it so hard to be nice? The Blu ray forum is extremely nice and helpful because we all have the same passion- love of movies and high quality media. Aren't we all apple fans here?

Now please proceed to comment to me by calling me an idiot, say he started it, etc

Your post was a paragon of good manners and taste. I applaud your ability to rise above the fray and refrain from personal attacks. Well done, you'll fit in here nicely!
  • Reply 70 of 89
    Quote:

[/B]

Your post was a paragon of good manners and taste. I applaud your ability to rise above the fray and refrain from personal attacks. Well done, you'll fit in here nicely!

It's interesting that you don't feel you were being arrogant and rude (or a jerk). But I think we both know you were. And me pointing that out to you doesn't make me a rude, it's just saying we could have a higher standard on this forum (I.e.- less "Apple ][" like). I think you could be nicer, or am I wrong and you're the nicest guy as your posts contradict?

Now proceed to underline a word here and there so you take it out of context and attempt to make me sound hypocritical instead of actually looking at yourself and your behavior. Not that I'm the moral police, but just a guy holding another guy from punching someone when he's out of line.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Quote:

It's interesting that you don't feel you were being arrogant and rude (or a jerk). But I think we both know you were. And me pointing that out to you doesn't make me a rude, it's just saying we could have a higher standard on this forum (I.e.- less "Apple ][" like). I think you could be nicer, or am I wrong and you're the nicest guy as your posts contradict?

Now proceed to underline a word here and there so you take it out of context and attempt to make me sound hypocritical instead of actually looking at yourself and your behavior. Not that I'm the moral police, but just a guy holding another guy from punching someone when he's out of line.

Take out of context? I quoted your entire post, didn't leave out a word. What's with you telling people how they are going to reply to you? Does it make you feel smart to be rude to someone and then predict that they're going to respond in kind, and then be correct? Wow, I'm impressed!

Did I deny I was being rude? You must have read some words on my post that I didn't write. All I did was point out all the super duper nice things you said about me and others on this forum, uninvited.

I told him he was dead wrong, because he was. Are you waiting for an apology? Were your delicate sensibilities offended by me pointing out that he didn't know what he was talking about?

I think you're right though, you're in the wrong place. Better head back where it's nicer, Mr. Sunshine.

So, what's next? Shall we keep going back and forth? You're doing a great job in making this forum much more civil already! If you hadn't stuck your nose into business that wasn't yours to point out how rude I and others on this board are, do you think this thread would be more, or less, on topic than it is as a result of your excellent moral policing? The uninformed poster talking about Outlook and Entourage stopped claiming his expertise before you got snippy and hasn't posted since. Maybe he's just in awe at your protective powers?
  • Reply 72 of 89
    Quote:

I like ya slappy. You're gonna be the guy who finally tries a Mac to see "what the fuss is all about", and then you'll see just what the fuss IS all about.

You obviously hang around this forum because deep down you are very interested in Apple products.

You're already an apple convert and you don't even know it. Welcome aboard.

Actually, I don't understand the type of internet personality that Slappy is exhibiting. If you don't care for something, whether it's a company, a hobby, a sports team, why even burn the calories going to a site that covers information about them and post stuff? For example, I'm not a New York Yankees fan, so you'll never see me on a forum about the team, posting on about how bad they are, how doomed their future is, and how they'll never win another game. They're not my team, so I don't care what the Yankees do.

If you're not an Apple fan, but you're coming here and posting your opinion about the company as if it were fact says something about your personality. In some ways, you're showing that you do care for Apple, and for that, we thank you.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Actually, I don't understand the type of internet personality that Slappy is exhibiting. If you don't care for something, whether it's a company, a hobby, a sports team, why even burn the calories going to a site that covers information about them and post stuff? For example, I'm not a New York Yankees fan, so you'll never see me on a forum about the team, posting on about how bad they are, how doomed their future is, and how they'll never win another game. They're not my team, so I don't care what the Yankees do.

If you're not an Apple fan, but you're coming here and posting your opinion about the company as if it were fact says something about your personality. In some ways, you're showing that you do care for Apple, and for that, we thank you.

It appears that slappy and Mr Sunshine are a rare internet forum example of a binary posting system. As you've seen above, even when the Moral Police is having a fight with someone totally unrelated (me), he still just wants to talk about slappy or Apple ][. I think one kinda requires the other. I just took a look at Mr. Sunshine's recent posts and in another thread he's fighting with Apple ][. I think he's an amateur forum cop - not that I don't appreciate that, I always love a good fight. I just don't understand why someone would want to be a forum cop and then deny it up and down, when that appears to be all he does

I'm guessing I'll be added to the list of people he talks about, now. He doesn't seem to want to talk about Apple, just about the personalities of the posters here. Oh well, to each his own!
  • Reply 74 of 89
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Apple: now that you're making roads into enterprise (again), please don't mess it up (again).

Things may be different with the iPad, but Apple has a reputation for leaving customers cold. Anyone who invested heavily in Xserve or Final Cut Pro knows this only too well.

Fair point. I had long thought that when Jobs left as CEO it would create an opportunity for Apple to do better with enterprise customers. Jobs was a genius, and his willingness to discard the old in favor of the new helped Apple to adapt quickly to changing times. But enterprise customers love the old and fear the new, and often for good reasons. Hopefully Cook will be able to strike a better balance.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    Quote:

It appears that slappy and Mr Sunshine are a rare internet forum example of a binary posting system. As you've seen above, even when the Moral Police is having a fight with someone totally unrelated (me), he still just wants to talk about slappy or Apple ][. I think one kinda requires the other. I just took a look at Mr. Sunshine's recent posts and in another thread he's fighting with Apple ][. I think he's an amateur forum cop - not that I don't appreciate that, I always love a good fight. I just don't understand why someone would want to be a forum cop and then deny it up and down, when that appears to be all he does

I'm guessing I'll be added to the list of people he talks about, now. He doesn't seem to want to talk about Apple, just about the personalities of the posters here. Oh well, to each his own!

Do you think this thread would be more, or less, on topic than it is as a result of your excellent posting?

Ps- I love the fact you made your post and edited it 40 minutes later. Someone feel like hes gonna really show that stranger he'll never meet a thing or two?

You bore me. You'll always be the smartest guy in the room. If no one believes that, just ask you, you'll tellem. Here's hoping we'll all be as smart and as effective a communicator as you one day.

And in sure the other poster hasn't come back because he's doing something better (example- not posting something and then coming back 40 minutes later to tweak it. )

And I was being sarcastic about slappy.
  • Reply 76 of 89
    Quote:

Do you think this thread would be more, or less, on topic than it is as a result of your excellent posting?

Nope, but at least I'm just trying to annoy you. And succeeding At least I have a sense of humor. You're just a busybody trying to tell everyone else what they're doing wrong.

Quote:

Ps- I love the fact you made your post and edited it 40 minutes later. Someone feel like hes gonna really show that stranger he'll never meet a thing or two?

Weren't you the one bemoaning internet tough guys? You keep on exemplifying the things you're complaining about.

Quote:

And I was being sarcastic about slappy.

There you go again! Obsessed!

That's enough though, I'm closing the thread. Bet you can't resist replying!
  • Reply 77 of 89
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This is why big screen Apple TV (iBoard) will be important. Give them a super easy to use with SIRI-controlled big touch-screen panel for the whole meeting room that works seamlessly with everyone's iPad and Apple will sell much more gears to the enterprise.

A large, touch-screen tv seems silly to me. Especially with those slimy corporate types touching it all day.

I wonder how much it would cost to build multi-touch into a 40"+ surface.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Outlook doesn't sync with the Nokia Lumia 800. They don't have any understanding of what a user might want to do with a phone. Or Outlook. Nope, to me, Outlook is total crap. The interface is ok, but the usability is, well, useless.

Enter or import contacts. Now create an email. Type a users first name. Or last name. Check their name (ABC icon, or hit Ctrl-K). Or do a search for their email address. Really, it is totally crap. Sorry for the rant. Didn't get much better with version 2010. Haven't tried the Mac version, but why would I? I use a Mac at home, but am given no choice but to use Windows/Office ...at the office.

There are still too many of us toiling away with Lotus Notes: Outlook may be bad but it is not as bad as Notes!
  • Reply 79 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kovich View Post

There are still too many of us toiling away with Lotus Notes: Outlook may be bad but it is not as bad as Notes!

No idea Notes was still being used. Its always been office or open office in use.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Outlook -> Entourage -> Outlook

Apart from the name change, Office for mac has always had a Microsoft email client with near identicle functionality. 2011 was not the first.

What was it you were saying about not knowing what you're talking about?

Please refrain from implying that Entourage was anywhere near what Outlook was/is. Entourage was slow and useless, and nowhere near a functional equivalent of Outlook on Windows.