• Reply 21 of 57
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Ha Ha Ha Ha! Ha Ha Ha !!!

Ha Ha Ha

Sorry. I just can't stop laughing. Dell is a f*** joke
  • Reply 22 of 57
    It seems that CES has become the place that CEOs come to for delivering nonsensical assessments of things they don't truly understand. Or Tweet Choirs.

If Dell is smart they will simply relabel Samsung tabbies and hope like Hades that Win8 is all that and a bag of chips. Their best first plan is leveraging Android, paying Microsoft the requisite licensing fees for Android, and then optimizing the Windows experience.

I'll bet they are banking on using Intel's new x86 mobile chip series to support this.

If Redmond has truly rewritten Windows code to be hardware agnostic, they will have reinvented themselves. I think it is ironic that they have yet to wrtie a version of the Office apps for the iOS/iPad platform. It is not like them to leave a cash cow unprotected but it's a relief to have Redmond close the door on CES keynoting. Mr. Ballmer is just not that good a speaker and really doesn't seem to know what's going on half the time.

All that being said, the statements in this thread about no advancement in the "landscape", I read to mean "no one has successfully addressed Apple's hegemony of the iPad platform", not game changers in form or functionality. The failure here is to assume that there must be constant disruption in order to be able to value the platform as anything other than the old axe "media consumption". The only media consumption device out there is the Amazon Kindle Fire - purpose built for just that. The iPad is far more powerful and more open-ended - judging from the huge variety of productivity, controls, and creativity apps that have been produced for it. Apple broke the ground with the disruptive shift of the iPad away from the old lappy cum tablet broken model, and now are building out by evolution what they disrupted the market with.

Phrases like "media consumption" bely a frank failure to understand what the iPad platform is capable of.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You only ask because it isn't being.

There hasn't been a single reinvention since the iPad was launched.

Yes but what about before the iPad. As the non Fanbois like to point out, Apple didn't create the idea of a tablet. it was around before the iPad. And it wasn't that long ago.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    i'll wait for it to go on sale for $99 six months after it's released
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Ho hum. Dull reminds us once again about the true meaning of the word dull.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
  • Reply 26 of 57
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I am not sure what is left in this realm, the distinction between consumer tablet and iPad is pretty thin. At the end of the day, when I am using the device, it is all about the integration. Don't really care what chip is in the thing if it is responsive, has great battery and is easy to use.

I'd say (and not snarkily) that if something is labeled a consumer device no one is expected to be surprised when it breaks in six months. It's sort of a qualifier, like "You should always see a doctor before taking any weight loss supplement. In some cases users may experience abdominal pains, so if your intestines feel like they're about to explode see a doctor and stop ordering diet pills from informercials."
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yes but what about before the iPad. As the non Fanbois like to point out, Apple didn't create the idea of a tablet. it was around before the iPad. And it wasn't that long ago.

Yeah, but… that's what we're talking about. Reinvention. Apple didn't create the first all-in-one computer, but they have reinvented the concept about six times now.

Apple didn't create the first laptop, but they reinvented how a laptop looks and how it's operated three times.

Apple didn't create the first MP3 player, but they've reinvented it twice.

Same with the cell phone and the tablet.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Let's face it, Dell are joined at the hip with Microsoft.

Those guys who dared release the Android streak were just waiting to be wooed.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Hate to break it to you, but a very long list of Enterprise Customers have written extremely advanced applications for the iOS Platform.

Just because the Consumer space hasn't caught up ....

+1 We are running an entire medical practice on the iPad with native apps. And all the PCEEEE vendors trying to peddle Ctrix access as their catch-up -- well, our view is mostly unprintable in polite company. (Even for here)
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

No, it's running an official Gingerbread and I am quite happy with it. ICS is only 3 months old, and that is since Google announced it, which is similar to iOS being pushed to developers. The Streak is almost 2 years, and I know better than to torture 2 yo hardware with a brand new OS. Most features of Android are updated with the Google apps anyway, and many that aren't are not supported in HW either: without an NFC, for example, why would I need system-wide support for it?

It IS a phone. Dell chose to call it a tablet, but I don't care about their definition. To me, CE manufactures should supply products, not opinions on lifestyle.

I hope your curiosity is satisfied. For a better idea of Dell's tablets, just buy one when they release it.

Yup! That's OK. And I certainly will have a look on the new Dell- Tablet. But I guess buying is not an option for me, since it can't possibly be an alternative to my iPad 2. The android Eco System does not get even close to what Apple's AppStore has to offer.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    That is all...
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Wow, really Dell? A another try at tablets? They must really be betting that the iPad, Galaxy Tab line, and the Kindle Fire/B&N Tablet will all fail. Who are these mythical people buying Dell tablets? Maybe corporate customers?
  • Reply 34 of 57
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....

Why don't you take a nap in this thread, much less crowded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

<..>The android Eco System does not get even close to what Apple's AppStore has to offer.

'k, whatever.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gettysburg11s View Post

Maybe corporate customers?

Ah, but you see, this is a 'consumer tablet', so they won't be buying it.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    From what I've see so far, an 'Android' based tablet is a non-starter unless you are talking Amazon's Kindle Fire which is sold at a loss so that Amazon can make $$$ on content. Without end-to-end content distribution a consumer tablet is simply an expensive door stop (ask HP...). Windows 8 is probably where most non-Apple tablet makers will end up. It's Microsoft's first OS that is usable on a tablet and the economics are similar to the current PC market. As the tablet segment matures, it will coalesce around a few standards. My prediction is Apple, Microsoft, and custom Android devices. Consumers will win via choice and price...
  • Reply 37 of 57
    There's no step 3

With Dell, There's no step 1...
  • Reply 38 of 57
    A tablet! Where does Dell get such industry leading ideas from?
  • Reply 39 of 57
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Dell will follow the Streak with the Skidmark.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, but? that's what we're talking about. Reinvention. Apple didn't create the first all-in-one computer, but they have reinvented the concept about six times now.

Apple didn't create the first laptop, but they reinvented how a laptop looks and how it's operated three times.

Apple didn't create the first MP3 player, but they've reinvented it twice.

Same with the cell phone and the tablet.

It's about getting it right. But I'm sure the usual suspects will remind the everyone that Apple didn't invent the TV. Nothing irks them more than hearing people praise Apple. We must not praise Apple!