CES: Dell plans to launch first 'consumer tablet' in late 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014


Moving on from its failed line of smaller Streak-branded tablets, Dell reportedly plans to sell a full-fledged "consumer tablet" to take on Apple's iPad in late 2012.



The Round Rock, Tex.-based PC maker confirmed to Reuters at this week's Consumer Electronics Show that it will take on the iPad and other Android-based tablets with its own offering later this year. A company official said they are taking their time to get to market because so many who rushed have failed against Apple.



"You will see us enter this market in a bigger way toward the end of the year," Dell Chief Commercial Officer Steve Felice reportedly said. "So we are not really deemphasizing it, we are really being careful how we enter it.



"When you are talking about PC, people are more focused on the hardware itself. When you are talking about the tablet or the smartphone, people are interested in the overall environment it's operating in. As we have matured in this, we are spending a lot more time in the overall ecosystem."



Felice would not confirm what operating system Dell plans to utilize for its forthcoming tablets. The ill-fated Streak, which maxed out at 7 inches, relied on Google Android, while tablets running Microsoft's Windows 8 are also being shown off by other hardware makers at CES this year.



"We like Windows 8, but we continue to develop with Android as well," Felice told Reuters. "We are still going to be more choice-driven, based on the feedback we get from customers."











Windows 8 tablets were a key part of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's keynote address that kicked off CES on Monday. Rather than adding touch controls to the traditional Windows interface, as Microsoft has done in the past, Windows 8 on tablets will employ the "Metro" user interface the company debuted on its Windows Phone series.



Though he didn't reveal a preference one way or the other between Windows 8 and Android, Felice admitted the timing of the release of Windows 8, expected to launch later this year, would be fortuitous, as he feels "there hasn't been a lot of advancement" in the tablet market.

«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 57
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "You will see us enter this market in a bigger way toward the end of the year," Dell Chief Commercial Officer Steve Felice reportedly said. "So we are not really deemphasizing it, we are really being careful how we enter it.



    reportedly? so you don't believe he actually said it? or you're just too lazy to confirm it so you cover your butt with reportedly?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,937member
    Stunning news. And by then we'll be reading about the launch on our iPad 3's, anticipating iPad 4's launch. Good luck, fellas.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    red oakred oak Posts: 640member
    Ha Ha Ha Ha! Ha Ha Ha !!!
  • Reply 4 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    When you are talking about the tablet or the smartphone, people are interested in the overall environment it's operating in. As we have matured in this, we are spending a lot more time in the overall ecosystem."



    "We like Windows 8, but we continue to develop with Android as well," Felice told Reuters. "We are still going to be more choice-driven, based on the feedback we get from customers."



    Felice admitted the timing of the release of Windows 8 would be fortuitous, as he feels "there hasn't been a lot of advancement" in the tablet market.



    Exqueeze me? Dell has "...matured in the overall environment it's operating in"? Thought it was mostly EOL-ed. I see 2 phones, 0 tablets on their site.



    Also nice: "timing of W8 is fortuitous". Looks like Rim doesn't have a monopoly for a crap CEO.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Awesome! The build quality of my 5'' Streak is superb. The old 7'' model stupidly had a 800x480 panel (same as the 5''), otherwise I would have gotten one.



    It seems to make sense that Dell would jump on the Windows 8 wagon, but I am happy to learn that they still consider Android as well.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Though he didn't reveal a preference one way or the other between Windows 8 and Android, Felice admitted the timing of the release of Windows 8, expected to launch later this year, would be fortuitous, as he feels "there hasn't been a lot of advancement" in the tablet market.



    I wonder why executives think that the public is stupid enough to buy everything they say. There hasn't been a lot of advancement in the tablet market? So the iPad is no different than the clunky Windows tablets sold 5 years ago?
  • Reply 7 of 57
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    I wonder why executives think that the public is stupid enough to buy everything they say. There hasn't been a lot of advancement in the tablet market? So the iPad is no different than the clunky Windows tablets sold 5 years ago?



    I don't want to repeat my post from the other ipad3 post, but the advancement since the launch of the ipad has not been that great, if your usage pattern is for instance media consumption and not gaming.



    We've seen a number of new tablets at CES and the advancements seem to be screen-resolution/cpu mhz&cores.



    Unless Apple pulls a real rabbit out of the hat with their iPad3, but the rumours are "just" quad-core and retina display. Although great advancements, they do not change the landscape for a large group of tablet users (the ones who use it for media consumption or reading mail and taking notes)
  • Reply 8 of 57
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post


    I don't want to repeat my post from the other ipad3 post, but the advancement since the launch of the ipad has not been that great, if your usage pattern is for instance media consumption and not gaming.



    We've seen a number of new tablets at CES and the advancements seem to be screen-resolution/cpu mhz&cores.



    Unless Apple pulls a real rabbit out of the hat with their iPad3, but the rumours are "just" quad-core and retina display. Although great advancements, they do not change the landscape for a large group of tablet users (the ones who use it for media consumption or reading mail and taking notes)



    Who said that only advances since the iPad came out are relevant? The iPad is only 2 years old. For Dell to claim that there have been no advances in the tablet market is insane. The market is entirely different today than it was just 2 years ago.



    Why does a market need to be completely reinvented annually? That's ridiculous.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    ivladivlad Posts: 739member
    Here we go again.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I am not sure what is left in this realm, the distinction between consumer tablet and iPad is pretty thin. At the end of the day, when I am using the device, it is all about the integration. Don't really care what chip is in the thing if it is responsive, has great battery and is easy to use.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Why does a market need to be completely reinvented annually? That's ridiculous.



    I've often wondered this myself. For pure consumption (and light gaming) my ipad2 works great. I don't need it to be reinvented every year.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Why does a market need to be completely reinvented annually? That's ridiculous.



    You only ask because it isn't being.



    There hasn't been a single reinvention since the iPad was launched.



    Now, if it actually WAS being reinvented, we could debate the necessity all day.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Who said that only advances since the iPad came out are relevant?



    Who said Dell was talking about a longer period ?



    Apple created this new tablet market, and all manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon for the last 2 years. Dell only tried some things with the Streak but has not yet joined this new market. And when asked why they say that for the last two years there have not been big advances, which is true.



    It reminders me of a quote from a Windows Phone developer who said (in my own words): 'hey, we're already late to the party, so let's not rush it now'.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    What feedback from customers? I thought the only feed back they got was "fix this piece of s&*$!" and "I told you already, I tried that and it didn't work!" and "4 hours on the phone with customer service, and the POS is still broken!"



  • Reply 15 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Ironic to think Amazon will kill Dell.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    Awesome! The build quality of my 5'' Streak is superb. The old 7'' model stupidly had a 800x480 panel (same as the 5''), otherwise I would have gotten one.



    It seems to make sense that Dell would jump on the Windows 8 wagon, but I am happy to learn that they still consider Android as well.



    Doe's your Streak have already Ice Cream on the Sandwich?



    And what do you use a 5" tablet for?



    I think most of the tasks can be performed with a smart phone (With a reasonable good display of course).



    The size of the iPad or similar devices (once they are built), gives really a huge advantage over the iPhone (e.g.).
  • Reply 17 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) That is ugly, but at least Apple won't likely sue them for the design.



    2) It's funny(sad) that CES is showcasing is so many products trying to one up Apple who will release for products that best them in so many ways and if these other vendors release it will be on the heels of Apple's 2013 products.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    I can't help but look at that and think "toy". its mostly the interface.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post


    I don't want to repeat my post from the other ipad3 post, but the advancement since the launch of the ipad has not been that great, if your usage pattern is for instance media consumption and not gaming.



    We've seen a number of new tablets at CES and the advancements seem to be screen-resolution/cpu mhz&cores.



    Unless Apple pulls a real rabbit out of the hat with their iPad3, but the rumours are "just" quad-core and retina display. Although great advancements, they do not change the landscape for a large group of tablet users (the ones who use it for media consumption or reading mail and taking notes)



    Hate to break it to you, but a very long list of Enterprise Customers have written extremely advanced applications for the iOS Platform.



    Just because the Consumer space hasn't caught up means the opportunities for such equivalent advanced applications are still wide open. And the Gaming is just beginning. It's an extremely immature market to boot.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post


    Doe's your Streak have already Ice Cream on the Sandwich?




    No, it's running an official Gingerbread and I am quite happy with it. ICS is only 3 months old, and that is since Google announced it, which is similar to iOS being pushed to developers. The Streak is almost 2 years, and I know better than to torture 2 yo hardware with a brand new OS. Most features of Android are updated with the Google apps anyway, and many that aren't are not supported in HW either: without an NFC, for example, why would I need system-wide support for it?



    Quote:

    And what do you use a 5" tablet for?



    I think most of the tasks can be performed with a smart phone (With a reasonable good display of course).

    <...>



    It IS a phone. Dell chose to call it a tablet, but I don't care about their definition. To me, CE manufactures should supply products, not opinions on lifestyle.



    I hope your curiosity is satisfied. For a better idea of Dell's tablets, just buy one when they release it.
Sign In or Register to comment.