Strong sales of iPhone 4S a precursor to 'monster' launch of redesigned 'iPhone 5'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I agree, but in the consumer market, "different" often correlates to "better." Designs get changed because they've been around for a long time and look tired. A few live on to become "classics," but very few.

"Different" gives salespeople more talking points...

There's a good chance that the next form factor for the iPhone could become a classic. The competition has shown its hand long ago... 4.3" and 4.7"... how much further can they go before it becomes a phone tablet. Apple can bring out a 4" or 4.1" iPhone and it'll be a design that can be used for a long time... size will not be a factor anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 241
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If the 5 goes to 4, I'll buy it. I didn't get the first iOhone, but bought the 3G. Missed the 3GS, but bought the 4, couldn't resist the 4S.

So if the 5 has the same screen size, I'll miss that one too. But for a 4" screen, I'll pop for it. It will be just big enough to make typing easier by enough so that it will be worth it. I don't want anything bigger, so I hope they don't go that way.
  • Reply 23 of 241
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
    3.5" 3:2 = 5.65" sq

3.7" 3:2 = 6.32" sq (11.8% more area)

4.0" 3:2 = 7.69" sq (36.1% more area)

Is 11% really worth wreaking havoc for Apple and 3rd-party devs?

Same resolution. Sleepy time for you.
  • Reply 24 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There's a good chance that the next form factor for the iPhone could become a classic. The competition has shown its hand long ago... 4.3" and 4.7"... how much further can they go before it becomes a phone tablet. Apple can bring out a 4" or 4.1" iPhone and it'll be a design that can be used for a long time... size will not be a factor anymore.

Samsung showed a 5" model at CES. Reminded me of the Dell Streak, which streaked by so fast, consumers never got a chance to buy one before it was discontinued. It's getting a bit ridiculous.
  • Reply 25 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

• Reply 26 of 241
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Same resolution. Sleepy time for you.

Not once did I mention the resolution in my post. I very, very clearly pointed out the physical dimensions that would change. It's not hard to understand, changing the size of elements changes the size of the elements. Here's an example: there are ≈4.5" 1280x720 Android phones... and there are ≈40" HDTVs with 1280x720 resolution. You still want to argue the dimensions of the elements wouldn't change? TIme for you to wake up.
  • Reply 27 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Samsung showed a 5" model at CES. Reminded me of the Dell Streak, which streaked by so fast, consumers never got a chance to buy one before it was discontinued. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

Which just shows that Samsung really does believe that bigger is better. I mean, really, do the Samsung execs really think that people want a 5" phone. Sad...

... but, if Apple does increase the size of the screen then I can hear the Android camp, "So, Apple decided to copy Samsung and the other Android vendors and use a bigger screen!". Again... sad.
  • Reply 28 of 241
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    "94%" of iPhone users plan to upgrade. 94%!

The precision!

But on a serious note, what is the upgrade plan for someone buying 3GS right now. The fact is it is the #3 bestselling smartphone in the US suggests there are many such consumers. What do they upgrade to in 2-3 years? The odds of iOS8 fully supporting 3GS are slim. What will these folks do? Upgrade to the latest iPhone then? Upgrade to whatever the cheapest version available will be?
  • Reply 29 of 241
    Quote:

Which just shows that Samsung really does believe that bigger is better. I mean, really, do the Samsung execs really think that people want a 5" phone. Sad...

... but, if Apple does increase the size of the screen then I can hear the Android camp, "So, Apple decided to copy Samsung and the other Android vendors and use a bigger screen!". Again... sad.

Samsung doesn't copy Apple¡
  • Reply 30 of 241
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm really tired of the guys that write articles claiming that iPhone 4s is the same design as the 4. It is just plain ignorance folks and frankly Apple insider can do better. The phone has all of the following new: antenna, battery, processor, base band chips, GPS system, effectively all new electronics.

As to a flat panel, how much innovation does one expect there? A little bigger a little smaller, a little brighter or a little darker, all nice to contemplate but they are not something that is as compelling as a the other new capabilities.

As to iPhone 5 sorry guys but don't get wound up in the hype, it is a phone that sits in your pocket next to your best friend. Apple has already done the major moves to deliver innovation in this field, the rest is incremental improvements. And yes a larger screen is an incremental improvement.

Really I don't understand why so many get so wrapped up in their cell phones. It is nothing more than a tool and frankly iPad beats it hands down in many ways. Gotta believe many have something missing in their personal life.

Agreed, they are night and day different.
  • Reply 31 of 241
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The precision!

But on a serious note, what is the upgrade plan for someone buying 3GS right now. The fact is it is the #3 bestselling smartphone in the US suggests there are many such consumers. What do they upgrade to in 2-3 years? The odds of iOS8 fully supporting 3GS are slim. What will these folks do? Upgrade to the latest iPhone then? Upgrade to whatever the cheapest version available will be?

Oh come on, only to a round number?
  • Reply 32 of 241
    Quote:

It's not necessarily about salespeople and talking points. Tastes change, and especially in tech where change is a constant and predicting what is possible or desirable more than a few years out is a virtual impossibility. You just have to know it will be different. The consumer tech market today reminds me of the automobile market during the 1950s. Any manufacturer that doesn't constantly find new ways to excite consumers is going to get trampled.
  • Reply 33 of 241
    Quote:

The current iPhone design is phantastic! I just hope they keep the basics the same in the next iteration. Faster processor, better battery life, more storage and maybe double RAM and I would be happy to upgrade. But pleeeaaase no bigger screen!!
  • Reply 34 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The precision!

The chance of iOS 6 (much less 8) supporting the 3Gs are slim. But if it does, it will be a big deal. Whatever iPhone people migrate to will make Apple happy. We can be sure that moving from their least expensive model to the next least expensive model is far better than them migrating to something else.

If Apple can support the 3GS one year past its discontinuance, it would be considered to be mucho important, particularly considering how long it would have been supported.
  • Reply 35 of 241
    Quote:

I'm really tired of the guys that write articles claiming that iPhone 4s is the same design as the 4. It is just plain ignorance folks and frankly Apple insider can do better. The phone has all of the following new: antenna, battery, processor, base band chips, GPS system, effectively all new electronics.

As to a flat panel, how much innovation does one expect there? A little bigger a little smaller, a little brighter or a little darker, all nice to contemplate but they are not something that is as compelling as a the other new capabilities.

As to iPhone 5 sorry guys but don't get wound up in the hype, it is a phone that sits in your pocket next to your best friend. Apple has already done the major moves to deliver innovation in this field, the rest is incremental improvements. And yes a larger screen is an incremental improvement.

Really I don't understand why so many get so wrapped up in their cell phones. It is nothing more than a tool and frankly iPad beats it hands down in many ways. Gotta believe many have something missing in their personal life.

That is one hell of a good rant.
  • Reply 36 of 241
    Quote:

If I buy an old Chevy. Put in a new engine, battery, shocks, suspension, all around new under the shell it is not a redesigned car. Don't be naive.
  • Reply 37 of 241
    The only problem for Apple is that the appetite for smart phones is so great that it may lose potential purchases (and thus market share) as people invesigate Samsung's ever shortening product cycles. You know, it's the: 'I think I'll try a Sammy while I wait for the next iPhone' mentality.

The smart phone market is going ballistic right now. It's like a landgrab for customers. I wonder what % of both potential and existing customers Samsung is stealing from Apple by Samsung refreshing its line-up so often.

While Apple has delivered great results with the 4S, i still tend to think it was too little, too late*. I can only imagine what a monster the much rumoured iPhone 5 would have been if it had it arrived last September?

This makes me think that Apple may return to a June roll-pout for the iPhone 5. In fact it may need to do this simply to satisfy demand in time for Christmas 2012.

Personally, i find it crazy that some people will happily change their phone two times in a year (where do these kids find the cash to do that?) but they do. They're hooked on their smart phones.

*Yes, I know the internals were new, but the market really expected a new and larger screen and this is what is most getting Samsung notices with new Gallaxy and Note models.
  • Reply 38 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

The current iPhone design is phantastic! I just hope they keep the basics the same in the next iteration. Faster processor, better battery life, more storage and maybe double RAM and I would be happy to upgrade. But pleeeaaase no bigger screen!!

We know of screens (ok, one) that have the image almost from edge to edge, unlike current screens. Right now, there is about 0.1875" at each edge of the image to the edge of the phone. If they could drop that to 0.0625", they would have gained 0.125" of room.

So, right now, the 3.5" screen is actually 1.94" x 2.91".

A 4" inch screen would be ....................2.22" x 3.33"

The difference in width is just 0.28". This is just over 0.25". Apple could make a phone with a 4" screen that was just a bit over 0.15" wider than now, hardly noticeable. It would be longer, but that doesn't enter the hold-ability test. It would also be almost as easy to reach each corner of the screen for people with smaller than average hands.

I don't see a problem here, just benefits.
  • Reply 39 of 241
    Quote:

REALLY? You know good and well that when people say it has the same design as the iPhone 4 that people are referring to the external physical design and not the internals.

You're just as bad as the people you are complaining about. Kettle meet pot.
  • Reply 40 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The streak also sucked. The Samsung Galaxy Note (ugh @ the name...should just be "Note" but they gotta shoehorn Galaxy into everything as if it's cool) is a rather nice device whether it is a seller or not. Quite innovative really but I still don't like Samsung.