Apple's rumored television is 'the elephant in the room' at CES 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    qrmqrm Posts: 9member
    OP has a valid point...from somewhere, the rumour starts that Apple will introduce the new iSomething...either a new product or an entirely updated, redesigned version of the iSomething v. -1...and the entire community spins until the announcement of something entirely different or less...the headlines scream that Apple has disappointed yet again...and then the rumour cycle starts anew...

As for the current, incessant rumour of an Apple-branded TV, I simply cannot conceive of what Apple (or anyone else for that matter) might introduce to drive me to replace a relatively new 1080p 40" set which, given the manner in which cable works here, is used as no more than a large monitor anyway. I don't need a new TV...I need a replacement for the cable box!

And no, cable cards don't work here!

It seems to me that the cryptic remark about "how to fix the TV" was more about how to fix the content delivery morass (which is less about the networks and more about the cable providers) and less about the visible part of that system in the living room.

Perhaps I lack the imagination necessary...but I simply cannot understand why Apple would want to enter the TV market...
  • Reply 22 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What a load of BS. TV makers have been competing fiercely with each other for years, but now the "phantom menace" from a made up Apple product should be the driving force? Please...

That's the kind of thinking that caught every one of Apple's competitor's flat footed and why Apple kicked their collective asses.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You believe this? Apple announced a few months ago and you think other TV manufactures then decided to become competitive? I actually think they have been working on these for months and that the TV market has been a massive competitive market for decades and any TVs announced at CES had ZERO to do with Apple.

You're an Apple contrarian. Of course you're going to say this.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

I don't care about 3D and all that hype. What I want is a TV that's transparent when it's not in use - like this one. Put it right over a big window. BAM, that's the one I'd buy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratero View Post

Samsung is at it again, slavishly copying Apple's non-existent TV. When will Samsung start innovating and stop copying over people's hard work?

Your attempt at humour is closer to the truth than you may have realised:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majorne...in/photostream
  • Reply 25 of 83
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

That's the kind of thinking that caught every one of Apple's competitor's flat footed and why Apple kicked their collective asses.

Right, because the correct mode of operation is to sit and try to guess what Apple might have done, instead of develop your own inventions. You're not making any sense at all.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I doubt an Apple TV rumor effected the usual flurry of features that tv brands unleash at CES.

And it seems like classic Apple to go with a company like Sharp that is desperate to compete with frontrunners like Toshiba and Panasonic and fend off threats from Samsung and Vizio. It would allow Apple to secure a very competitive partnership contract for panel production. Just like they did with the iPhone by going with AT&T which was willing to accept contract terms Verizon wouldn't.

It's almost like bicycles in the Tour deFrance –*Apple teams up with a partner and becomes a massive peloton that inevitably pulls in anyone unfortunate enough to be out in front
  • Reply 27 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What a load of BS. TV makers have been competing fiercely with each other for years, but now the "phantom menace" from a made up Apple product should be the driving force? Please...

+1 baby!

There is no way in hell those tech giants implemented new bells and whistles in their televisions because of recent rumors about what an Apple tv would be. Impossible.

Such manipulative trolling.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    New products from AAPL usually involve fixing tech where the competitors suck. TV generally don't suck. What sucks is what is on them. Not sure there's any tech to fix that. I have no interest in talking to my tv.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So Apple is working on an elephant purple monkey dishwasher? How do these rumors get started?

Haha, nice Simpsons reference
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

New products from AAPL usually involve fixing tech where the competitors suck. TV generally don't suck. What sucks is what is on them. Not sure there's any tech to fix that. I have no interest in talking to my tv.

I wouldn't talk to my tv either... yelling at my tv, though, that's another thing altogether...
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QRM View Post

Perhaps I lack the imagination necessary...but I simply cannot understand why Apple would want to enter the TV market...

It’s in Apple's nature to produce all-in-one products. As you said, TVs are simply large displays and Apple produces very good displays.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This always happens. Always. First, the Apple Rumor Community starts on about a new product.

Everyone else instantly panics and whacks each other with socks filled with batteries.

Then Apple releases their product, it's absolutely nothing like what the rumors said or what others made, and they all play catch up by making either terrible knock-offs or directly stolen designs.

I have a real bad feeling that this will be a total Gachnar

Oh and you forgot the part where all the folks that got their hopes and dreams up over the rumors that certainly have to be true, decry the true item as 'just a Xs' and 'total garbage' because their overinflated dreams were dashed
  • Reply 33 of 83
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I have yet to hear of any feature or function from anyone that would prompt me to replace my existing 5-year old TV.

Anything that does sound compelling has nothing to do with the technology of the TV itself, but the source of the content. And in that case I'd prefer an external box to connect to my existing TV (an AppleTV, features built into a blu-ray player, or some other 3rd party box) rather than an entirely new TV set.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple TV (iTV) even at break even, will be a conduit for buying product from apple

convergence, integration is key to success, the living room controls much of family access to entertainment, all those billions will soon be for content and THAT'S what the other vendors are afraid of no one of the tv manufacturers have the ability as apple has to transform an industry and has the depth of product to do it

apple provides value to the customer, they are also scared of us choosing apple over cox, timewarner att ect.

and it will

kaopectate time for the others

pass the imodium please
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

It's in Apple's nature to produce all-in-one products.

Which is why they haven't updated the mac mini in ages (along with the mac pro). it's not 'all in one'

Quote:

As you said, TVs are simply large displays and Apple produces very good displays.

I think you are more on the money here. I don't think that Apple is producing an actual TV. Too many licensing etc issues. But a very good and larger display that could be used with a computer, a blu-ray, the Apple TV box etc. Well that's just a dummy display like the current ones so there's no additional licensing issues for the receivers etc. The Apple TV tech could perhaps be included in the displays for those that don't have the little box. At least the home sharing part of it and perhaps the airplay.

Now the other thing I could perhaps see them do is add some way to route your blu-ray etc though the ATV box like a kind of receiver. So then you have the one interface and you don't have to switch inputs etc. They might even come up with some trick that would allow one remote to control everything. Or companies could come up with "Apple TV compatible" status and an iOS app to control your whatever (like you will be able to control the ATV side of things)
  • Reply 36 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

It's in Apple's nature to produce all-in-one products. As you said, TVs are simply large displays and Apple produces very good displays.

That's the thing... they don't. They typically source high quality displays for their product categories and price points. But we're talking about a device that is mostly all display and very little other HW. This is where the display makers can trump Apple in making a TV.

The iMac's IPS display is a huge cost yet it's still less than a 1/4 of the HW cost. Even Vizio is entering the AIO market this year.

There are plenty of rumours around this mythical Apple HDTV the way there were for the Apple smartphone and Apple tablet that I can't ignore the pressure of it, but I still haven't heard any sound reason as to what Apple can bring to the table or how simply using any HDTV as a dumb monitor that never has to be moved from it's primary input makes an Apple HDTV better despite it's severe limitations.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

CES is more about presenting future flops than successes

If the goddamned remote control has more than 1 button, it is a flop, waiting to be swept aside by some future Apple product. For example, what idiot decided Blu-Ray players should have meaningless red, green, yellow, and blue buttons? Sounds like Sony thinking.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Exactly, and let's not forget this year has the olympic games and the european soccer championship which are both events which trigger new tv technology as well..

If Apple got an iOS/Apple TV app for those, even if I had to shell out $100 each to subscribe to the streams etc (like the MBA and MLB apps) I would so do it. Especially if it mean getting to see everything and not just the stuff that NBC or whomever decides to show OTA.

I got the current box for the MLB because my teams are always out of market and the games were never on television. And it's been worth the price (helps that I cut cable ages ago for Netflix, Hulu and a few iTunes season passes).
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You believe this? Apple announced

Nothing regarding a tv.

That is Tall's point. There's no confirmation from Apple they are doing this. It's all rumors, which will have some kernel of truth but perhaps not the one that is anything like what folks think. And yet based on the rumors, everyone else wants to get their superdef, smart tvs out in the public eye on the hopes that if the rumors are true, since Apple hasn't confirmed then folks in the general public won't know about any of it and will buy non Apple before Apple gets their thing out.

Same game as the original iPad etc but with a tv.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    I haven't been here long, but I can already tell that the writers and editors of this website have an EXTREME level of bias towards Apple. They make every single headline seem as if Apple is the reason everything in the tech world is happening. YES, Apple have changed the game a bit and the quality of competitor's products has gone up significantly, but TV's have been evolving since they were invented. The new OLED technology and Crystal LED displays are not out of fear of Apple, it's normal competition to have the next big thing. Apple have absolutely nothing to do with this.

This site is getting really stupid and the admins should be ashamed of themselves. You want to give us information, give us information that is unbiased and fair.