Apple's rumored television is 'the elephant in the room' at CES 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Your attempt at humour is closer to the truth than you may have realised:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majorne...in/photostream

You dont' get it. It's rectangular with a centered display in a black frame. Sure there is some patent infringment in it!!!
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

I haven't been here long, but I can already tell that the writers and editors of this website have an EXTREME level of bias towards Apple.

NO.

Quote:

The new OLED technology and Crystal LED displays are not out of fear of Apple, it's normal competition to have the next big thing. Apple have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Agreed, particularly when Apple wouldn't use them anyway.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Nothing regarding a tv.

That is Tall's point. There's no confirmation from Apple they are doing this. It's all rumors, which will have some kernel of truth but perhaps not the one that is anything like what folks think. And yet based on the rumors, everyone else wants to get their superdef, smart tvs out in the public eye on the hopes that if the rumors are true, since Apple hasn't confirmed then folks in the general public won't know about any of it and will buy non Apple before Apple gets their thing out.

Same game as the original iPad etc but with a tv.

Sorry, there is a very good chance all the products at CES this year would look exactly the same with or without the rumor about Apple producing a TV. These manufactures are in no way responding to these rumors, they are simply doing what they always do.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Beyond announcements of agreements with major textbook publishers in expanding the iBooks library and highlighting iTunes University, Apple may take the wraps off the rumored tv at next week's education event. Deeply rooted in digital learning, Apple has been working on a new display that brings elearning into the digital hub of the living room and classroom. Apple TV was merely a "hobby" as it was originally intended to deliver educational content into the home environment eliminating the confines of one individual in front of a 24? computer screen. Access to movies and individual?s iTunes music library were secondary features that simply had mass appeal at no additional cost.

While Smartboard has dominated this arena for several decades, Apple will unveil 42 and 55 inch LCD 1080p HDTV with the integrated A5 chipset (the company hired several LCD engineers last year). Building upon the rapid adoption of iPads in the classroom and the addition of mirror displaying in the iPad2, Apple moved up its release date seeing demand for an ?iBoard.? Displays will include its signature front-end camera found on all Apple products allowing users to connect classrooms even further through FaceTime. Look to next Thursday?s event for more on how Apple continues to revolutionize the education environment.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbuggy View Post

Beyond…

Okay, this reads like a press release or standard rumor post, you have one post, and there's no link. Could you expound on why you think these things?

Quote:

Deeply rooted in digital learning

Yeah, because the TV has always been equated with learning. "Plop down in front of the TV," parents in the 50s used to say, "it's time for some education!"

Quote:

The rest

So a digital chalkboard. No.

I'M A COMPLETE IDIOT. Why didn't I see this before? What in the world have I been thinking?!

Apple's going to keep making the Apple TV exactly like it is. It'll get an A6 chip, full 1080p, better-looking software, the whole works. That's the Apple TV, and that's all it will ever be.

But they might actually do a large display. Steve Jobs hates TV. He always has. "You sit in front of the TV to turn your mind off."

I know everyone's sick of theories on this, but I've not ever put mine in the hat:

"Finally cracked TV" means Steve finally figured out a way to make educational content distributable in a TV-esque format.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:

I haven't been here long, but I can already tell that the writers and editors of this website have an EXTREME level of bias towards Apple...

I don't see as you have any evidence of this (or perhaps you don't understand the use of the term "bias."

Quote:

... The new OLED technology and Crystal LED displays are not out of fear of Apple, it's normal competition to have the next big thing. Apple have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Here it seems you don't have any idea what the term "elephant in the room" means.

Hint: It doesn't imply copying, or that the developments in technology at this years CES have anything to do with Apple per se. It just means that in the authors view the prospect of Apple *maybe* developing a TV is perhaps on weighing some of the exhibitors minds even though they aren't actually talking about it.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If the goddamned remote control has more than 1 button, it is a flop, waiting to be swept aside by some future Apple product. For example, what idiot decided Blu-Ray players should have meaningless red, green, yellow, and blue buttons? Sounds like Sony thinking.

Sony thinking? That's an oxymoron.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

New products from AAPL usually involve fixing tech where the competitors suck. TV generally don't suck. What sucks is what is on them. Not sure there's any tech to fix that. I have no interest in talking to my tv.

If you subscribe to basic cable and have no additional components such as Blu-ray, DVR, or video game connected to your TV set, then I agree. OTOH, if you are like most people in the First World who live indoors and have multiple home entertainment components connected to their TV sets, then TV sucks big time.

Let us begin with the multiplicity of remote control handsets. If you believe that a universal remote eliminates the need to keep track of all of the individual remotes, then you learn that certain essential features of each individual remote are unsupported on each universal remote. The best control set of any component in your living room is the control set of your TV. However, the your cable company wants to transfer control from your TV set to its set top box. The Federal Government mandated that the cable companies offer a device that allows you to access all programming without the STB. In cooperation with TV set manufacturers, they developed CableCard. Unfortunately CableCard is not supported by manufacturers on many of their sets and the cable providers drag their feet about offering it to customers with CableCard-compatible TV sets.

So yeah, I would say that TV sucks.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple's going to keep making the Apple TV exactly like it is. It'll get an A6 chip, full 1080p, better-looking software, the whole works. That's the Apple TV, and that's all it will ever be.

But they might actually do a large display. Steve Jobs hates TV. He always has. "You sit in front of the TV to turn your mind off."

"Finally cracked TV" means Steve finally figured out a way to make educational content distributable in a TV-esque format.

I agree. Apple may partner with a TV vendor to create a simple TV with JUST ONE HDMI input and no remote to complete the package.

I think that one question is: what it the remote for this device? Is it a touch pad, an iPad, an iPod touch.

The real change is NO channels, just icons for programs, the ability to pre-deliver content to the device and only release the Fairplay keys when it is 'released' and to use a P2P network to reduce the distribution costs for TV programs.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

?Apple? FairPlay keys? ?P2P network?

Apple forcing LEGAL torrenting on the television and movie industry by forcing FairPlay keys?

THAT is the Apple we know and love. THAT is the Apple that secured iTunes Store deals in 2003. THAT is the Apple I want to see come back.

Tim Cook: "Look, here's the deal. You think you're being killed by torrenters. You're wrong, but that doesn't matter. We're going to offer you a system where people can legally torrent your movies and shows through iTunes."

All studios: "?"

Tim Cook: "Accept or we'll just do it anyway."
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Quote:

I haven't been here long, but I can already tell that the writers and editors of this website have an EXTREME level of bias towards Apple. They make every single headline seem as if Apple is the reason everything in the tech world is happening. YES, Apple have changed the game a bit and the quality of competitor's products has gone up significantly, but TV's have been evolving since they were invented. The new OLED technology and Crystal LED displays are not out of fear of Apple, it's normal competition to have the next big thing. Apple have absolutely nothing to do with this.

This site is getting really stupid and the admins should be ashamed of themselves. You want to give us information, give us information that is unbiased and fair.

I completely agree with this. It seems like even just over the last few months it has gotten a lot worse. I like Apple, I buy lots of their products, and I like to read rumors and news about their upcoming products, but I'm not so blind as to believe that everything advancement and innovation in the tech world is a product of Apple or a response to Apple.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    It's as if these people have learned nothing during the last decade of iPods and iTunes and iPhones... IT'S NOT ABOUT SPECS. It's about usability. Make it fun to use and people will want it. Or, give it the best specs ever and watch as people flock to competitors whose products are more fun to use. This is why Apple wins.

When Apple finally does introduce an Apple TV, they won't go on and on about specs. They'll show us how easy it is to use and how fun it is to own.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

I agree. Apple may partner with a TV vendor to create a simple TV with JUST ONE HDMI input and no remote to complete the package.

I think that one question is: what it the remote for this device? Is it a touch pad, an iPad, an iPod touch.

The real change is NO channels, just icons for programs, the ability to pre-deliver content to the device and only release the Fairplay keys when it is 'released' and to use a P2P network to reduce the distribution costs for TV programs.

I think the main differentiators will be the lack of cables (other than the power cable) to the screen unit, and a simple apple TV like remote. Siri will probably be part of it, but that will not be a huge differentiator in the long run. Voice control sucks, even Siri, IMHO, is only so good.... Talking at inanimate objects? There has to be more!

The image will get to the TV in the same way you can play videos off of the iPhone or iPad on a screen connected to Apple TV. There will likely be a "base station" that the cable box, DVD/blue ray player etc can plug into. These devices will not be the emphasis, though. It will be TV on demand, heck so many people already watch DVR only, so kicking live TV out, is the obvious evolutionary progression, and will be revolutionary concept for the industry. It will all work very similar to the current Apple TV, just better, more broadly implementable.

I, frankly, can't wait to get rid of the cable salad going to my TV's multiple inputs. It is so retarded, I can't believe it will take a Steve Jobs project to solve this problem. But than again, as Steve often said, committees designing stuff at most companies are boneheads, and can't act on the obvious if it kicks them in the face...(very paraphrased...)
  • Reply 53 of 83
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Sony thinking? That's an oxymoron.

If you subscribe to basic cable and have no additional components such as Blu-ray, DVR, or video game connected to your TV set, then I agree. OTOH, if you are like most people in the First World who live indoors and have multiple home entertainment components connected to their TV sets, then TV sucks big time.

Let us begin with the multiplicity of remote control handsets. If you believe that a universal remote eliminates the need to keep track of all of the individual remotes, then you learn that certain essential features of each individual remote are unsupported on each universal remote. The best control set of any component in your living room is the control set of your TV. However, the your cable company wants to transfer control from your TV set to its set top box. The Federal Government mandated that the cable companies offer a device that allows you to access all programming without the STB. In cooperation with TV set manufacturers, they developed CableCard. Unfortunately CableCard is not supported by manufacturers on many of their sets and the cable providers drag their feet about offering it to customers with CableCard-compatible TV sets.

So yeah, I would say that TV sucks.

Fair.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

New products from AAPL usually involve fixing tech where the competitors suck. TV generally don't suck. What sucks is what is on them. Not sure there's any tech to fix that. I have no interest in talking to my tv.

What currently sucks is the complication of getting digital content onto TVs. Mess of cables, switching input sources, etc.

I'm sure Apple can make it easier. However, my biggest doubt is whether their "clean and intuitive" solution will work well with devices outside of their ecosystem (e.g. PS3). My guess is that they're expecting you to do your gaming on iOS only (using an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch as a controller).
  • Reply 55 of 83
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What a load of BS. TV makers have been competing fiercely with each other for years, but now the "phantom menace" from a made up Apple product should be the driving force? Please...

Competing? With what new 'game changing' technology? Answer is that there has been no innovative technical game changers over the last few years. Can you actually stand in front of the wall of LCD's at any given big box and see a discernible difference, no matter which quality you are looking at? What's the difference between the $1500 set and the $3000 set? You either have to be a gear head to know, or need to ask a sales associate, as most of them don't know because you can't see the difference looking at it head on most of the time.

So yeah, voice control, real and reliable system integration, and a holistic home experience with all one's devices is a driving force indeed.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Old Microsoft FUD:
    "We're working on something nearly as good as that. It won't be ready for a year and a half, but we're such a big company and they're such a small company that you'd be wise to wait for our product instead of buying theirs now. Because we'll be around forever. Those pipsqueak upstarts might go out of business at any moment just because they're too small to live or something. And our product will work with Exchange."

New Apple FUD:
    "No. There isn't a good go-to-market plan for that. Next question."
  • Reply 57 of 83
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    This all reminds me of a famous "Wrong-Way? Corrigan who just didn't get that the software is the thing - not the hardware.

"We?ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They?re not going to just walk in.?

Palm CEO Ed Colligan, commenting on then-rumored Apple iPhone, 16 Nov 2006

...and the beat goes on...
  • Reply 58 of 83
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

This all reminds me of a famous "Wrong-Way? Corrigan who just didn't get that the software is the thing - not the hardware.

"We?ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They?re not going to just walk in.?

Palm CEO Ed Colligan, commenting on then-rumored Apple iPhone, 16 Nov 2006

...and the beat goes on...

I remember that well. I also remember the RIM CEOs saying something similar but cannot find the quote.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    It's fun to watch Apple force people to innovate.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Old Microsoft FUD:
    "We're working on something nearly as good as that. It won't be ready for a year and a half, but we're such a big company and they're such a small company that you'd be wise to wait for our product instead of buying theirs now. Because we'll be around forever. Those pipsqueak upstarts might go out of business at any moment just because they're too small to live or something. And our product will work with Exchange."

New Apple FUD:
    "No. There isn't a good go-to-market plan for that. Next question."

LOL. So true. The Apple FUD is a fiction created by the rumor mill, and Walter "loose lips" Isaacson. Apple famously says nothing about future products until the day they are unveiled.

EDIT: Microsoft FUD: Windows 8 on tablets. The marketing message at CES seemed to be: here's how great Windows 8 will be, but please don't stop buying Windows 7 today!