Video: CES Week 2 2012 Tech Review

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's a video recap of the top tech stories involving Apple for the second week of 2012, including a tour of CES 2012, Steve Ballmer's keynote, big product news, the week's business stories, and upcoming events.

AppleInsider staff was on location at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show, reporting on the new and noteworthy. Be sure to check in and share your comments and video feedback via email.

You can also follow us on Twitter: @appleinsider and @DanielEran.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Samsung and LG's OLED TV's are very interesting, but without knowing a price and a guaranteed ship date (we've all heard "this year" promises before) they may as well be demoing teleporting machines.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Samsung and LG's OLED TV's are very interesting, but without knowing a price and a guaranteed ship date (we've all heard "this year" promises before) they may as well be demoing teleporting machines.

Or time machines which they could then advertise that you'll have gotten them already when they are ready.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Or time machines which they could then advertise that you'll have gotten them already when they are ready.

In the future you are dead, but you had a beautiful funeral.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    You've got to know you're bad at video narration when a cross over to a Steve Ballmer segment sounds interesting and refreshing.

Don't quit your day job.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I like this web site but really this video was a waste of time. Essentially it was a video that told us to read the stories that have already been posted. The longest annoying bit was seeing Steve Balmer talking.

You guys could have demonstrated some products and given your opinions of them. All we got were moving pictures of the still images that were in the other articles.

Some of those ultrabooks really seem attractive tech devices. When they all have the Ivy Bridge chips and Thunderbolt ports I'll really give them a close look.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    My 8 year old does better editing on iMovie (the iPad version).
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

God, this video sucked. My 8 year old does better editing on iMovie (the iPad version).

I thought the narration was the worst part, followed by the content and then the editing.

Of course, I am spliting hairs here as it all sucked.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I like this web site but really this video was a waste of time. Essentially it was a video that told us to read the stories that have already been posted. The longest annoying bit was seeing Steve Balmer talking.

You guys could have demonstrated some products and given your opinions of them. All we got were moving pictures of the still images that were in the other articles.

Some of those ultrabooks really seem attractive tech devices. When they all have the Ivy Bridge chips and Thunderbolt ports I'll really give them a close look.

Agreed. A close up of an Air beside each ultrabook at CES in turn would have made a very interesting video and it wouldn't need much of any commentary at all.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

You've got to know you're bad at video narration when a cross over to a Steve Ballmer segment sounds interesting and refreshing.

Don't quit your day job.

Don't quit your therapy sessions, and keep your mean-spirited comments to yourself, kid.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I thought the narration was the worst part, followed by the content and then the editing.

Of course, I am spliting hairs here as it all sucked.

Well as AI's resident douchebag,I'm sure your comments matter on some level, "Firelfly7475". Perhaps you can link to your own content that you provide for free for comparison.

Or just keep being a dick until AI deletes your troll account.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    This report is a new low for Dilger, with the inclusion of some shameless filming of Ballmer's keynote off a screen and presenting it as an original video. Why not just link to the source from Microsoft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDxM...ilpage#t=4288s

... and then we get all the talk about "copyists"... sheesh!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Well as AI's resident douchebag,I'm sure your comments matter on some level, "Firelfly7475". Perhaps you can link to your own content that you provide for free for comparison.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

Don't quit your therapy sessions, and keep your mean-spirited comments to yourself, kid.

Of all the people who disliked this video why did you both single him out?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Of all the people who disliked this video why did you both single him out?

This is just a wild guess, but I took a quick skim of the guy's history, and nearly every post of his is hating on Dillger in some way. So, maybe there's that, and it's getting old.

I didn't care much for the video either, but I was entertained reading his other articles on CES. I just don't see the point of someone going out of their way to state how horrible it is. Just move on. No need for all the hateful, mean-spirited and condescending comments. One thing with Dillger is that he's up front about where he stands. I admit I somewhat enjoy the unapologetic Apple love and outright bashing (often times justifiably) of other companies. Other sites pretend to be objective but clearly have a strong bias, with this site there's none of that bullshit and it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is. It's why I love it. I don't come here for objective analysis about the industry and competing companies (I go to other sites just as The Verge, etc for that). Anyone who does is a moron. I come because I enjoy Dillger's sharp writing, his passion and love for Apple, and am willing to forgive his quirks because I often agree with him.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    What's the old saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize."

The weekly video wrap up is only in it's second week. Give it a little time to develop. However, if you hate it that much, don't watch it next week. Problem solved.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

That's total bullshit. You don't need to be able to play the sax to know someone else can't.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I believe the phrase for the Internet age is "Those who can, do. Those who can't, blog.".
  • Reply 17 of 21
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

Well as AI's resident douchebag,I'm sure ...

A self-proclaimed "resident douchebag"... Such honesty is rare around here...
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I didn't care much for the video either, but I was entertained reading his other articles on CES. I just don't see the point of someone going out of their way to state how horrible it is. Just move on. No need for all the hateful, mean-spirited and condescending comments. One thing with Dillger is that he's up front about where he stands. I admit I somewhat enjoy the unapologetic Apple love and outright bashing (often times justifiably) of other companies.

Ok then... let's open a dialog on this one.

You say that you appreciate Dillger's candidness and (by your own admission) sometimes unjustifiable bashing of other companies; however when he posts a video that we both agree sucks, you think that everyone should tip toe around the fact and "just move on".

You know what? I don't agree. The video sucked and the article was a waste of space.

Saying so isn't "trolling" because most reasonable people agree with me that the video sucked. It's not like I'm here saying "the iPhone sucks" (when it obviously doesn't) just to incite a flame war.

I said Dillger should stick to his day job and I meant it. The guy obviously knows how to write... but his video sucked.

Now how about you extend some of that appreciation toward me for being up front and calling a spade a spade?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Wow... a personal attack and profanity in one post. Maybe you should think about reading up on the AI forums ToS yourself.

I just did a double check myself and I couldn't find the clause against saying a video sucks, so it seems like my account will live to see another day!
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Eran is a doll! Leave him alone?More video re-caps Eran! Good to see you back in action after your accident!