iPhone 4S launch propels surging Apple 20% to close the gap with Android

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Android is a race to the bottom.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Something these market share discussions rarely touch on is the iPad factor. I would have to imagine that owning an iPad makes it more likely that your next phone purchase will be an iPhone, and iPad ownership is increasingly relentlessly.

And since iPad sales are clearly not limited to iPhone or Mac owners (I know plenty of Android phone users that have an iPad (the grimly anti-Apple at all costs, even if it means using a manifestly inferior tablet to prove their point, being in the minority I think), it appears that Apple is steadily increasing the gravitational pull of iOS, in a way that the Android manufacturers don't seem to have an answer for as yet (Google knows this, hence the promise of a MotoGoogle reference tablet at some point).

Android has yet to prove itself outside of the carrier subsidy/hard sell at the phone vendor model. Since the mobile future that Apple clearly envisions involves a lot of hardware that isn't tied to carriers, I'm curious what Google and their partners intend to do about it? Big cellphone market share is all well and good, but the revolution that Apple started goes way past cell phones subsidized by contract. My suspicion is that it is in precisely the ways that Apple's plans extend past churning handset models and touting feeds and speeds that Android partners will find it difficult to compete, as it's a little more complex than simply aping Apples design cues or running a lot of ads.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That chart makes no sense at all! How could it be?

The iPhone 4S was just a tiny, incremental update, and some real smart geniuses on the internet declared that it was a failure. I mean, it looks virtually the same as the previous model. Let's forget about the fact that it went from single core to dual core, it has a way faster GPU and plenty of other features like SIRI. I mean it was basically the same exact phone, except for an S added at the end of it's name.

Just face it, Apple continues to rule all, and regardless of what any ignorant commentators and untech savvy people might say or think, Apple continues to hit it out of the ballpark and they've hit another homerun with the iPhone 4S. And every single time these same people are proven wrong, yet again.

I'd be ashamed to even log on to the internet if I were one of these people, because the joke is on them.

These people should automatically get a dunce cap avatar next to their names, so everybody will know how reliable and useful their thoughts are.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That chart makes no sense at all! How could it be?

The iPhone 4S was just a tiny, incremental update, and some real smart geniuses on the internet declared that it was a failure. I mean, it looks virtually the same as the previous model. Let's forget about the fact that it went from single core to dual core, it has a way faster GPU and plenty of other features like SIRI. I mean it was basically the same exact phone, except for an S added at the end of it's name.

Well, I know of one person who had an iPhone 3G, watched the unveiling of the 4S, read all the blogs from Engadget, etc. decrying the iPhone 4S as a "disappointment," explained how it made him disappointed too, then he took a serious look at the new Samsung Galaxy II for about a week, before finally choosing to buy an iPhone 4S for him and his wife. That's how "disappointed" he was.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    Who else remembers those consumer survey results circulating last summer showing roughly half of all Android users planning to switch to iPhone while about 5% of iPhone users were planning to switch to Android? I remember those reports being greeted with outright disdain by Android fans and doubt amongst most others. And yet, these numbers seem to suggest there was some truth in those results.

It's curious to me that Android seems to be good at grabbing the first-time buyers but is very bad at making long-term customers of them. Happened with my wife. She got an Android-based phone and has grown to despise it. Her two years is up next month. Guess which phone she's planning to buy? I'm betting the tide will continue to shift away from Android as people get frustrated with its quirks and shortcomings.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Android is a race to the bottom.

Actually, Android outsells iOS. So its more like a race to the top that Android has achieved.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Actually, Android outsells iOS. So its more like a race to the top that Android has achieved.

I'm still trying to come up with whatever twisted thinking that allows you to believe that Android has achieved anything.

"Bargain bin status", sure, they've achieved that.

"What you get when you can't afford an iPhone", I guess.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Who else remembers those consumer survey results circulating last summer showing roughly half of all Android users planning to switch to iPhone while about 5% of iPhone users were planning to switch to Android? I remember those reports being greeted with outright disdain by Android fans and doubt amongst most others. And yet, these numbers seem to suggest there was some truth in those results.

It's curious to me that Android seems to be good at grabbing the first-time buyers but is very bad at making long-term customers of them. Happened with my wife. She got an Android-based phone and has grown to despise it. Her two years is up next month. Guess which phone she's planning to buy? I'm betting the tide will continue to shift away from Android as people get frustrated with its quirks and shortcomings.

While there were a few excellent Android phones released over the last 2 years... there were also tons of stinkers.

Which phone does your wife have? Thinking back 2 years ago today... there were plenty of "meh" Android phones on the market.

Like I said in an earlier comment... Apple still thinks highly of the 3GS they were selling over 2 years ago. So much so that they still sell it new today.

Can you imagine if some early-2010 Android phones were still sold as new today? Some of those phones might hold up today... but most would be pitiful. Some of those phones were garbage even when they were new...

I've had dozens of friends who had a miserable time with their Android phones.

Not surprisingly... I've recently seen a sharp increase in the number of iPhones in my social circle.

@slapppy - I'm sure you're gonna chime in. Yes... Android will continue to outsell the iPhone. Don't worry your pretty little head about it! But I'm just wondering what kind of dominance Android really has when it's comprised of many crappy phones that people hate to use.

But hey... strength in numbers?!?!