Amazon expected to cut Kindle Fire orders in half as new iPad looms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

The only reason that I could imagine there would be a significant delay (a month vs a week) between and iPad3 announcement and launch, is to allow developers to update their apps to retina specs.

On announcement day they release the beta for iOS5.1, then a month later it goes public upon the release of the iPad3.

Since there was no resolution change between the iPad1 and iPad2, developers didn't need to change their apps for the new hardware.

The beta for iOS 5.1 is already to beta 3. If you meant iOS 5.2, though, I can see that, though they would probably need to launch 5.1 here in the next couple weeks. Much like iOS 3.2, 4.2, etc., it seems to line up with iPad launches., just like the x.1 updates did early on with iPod touches.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

The only reason that I could imagine there would be a significant delay (a month vs a week) between and iPad3 announcement and launch, is to allow developers to update their apps to retina specs.

Apple is unlikely to care about such things. Especially since savvy developers should be assuming that a retina ipad could be happening and already have the update in the wings

Anything more than two weeks will likely be due to the FCC or something similar
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If Digitimes was the only source indicating that, I wouldn't run with it as probably accurate.

That wasn't the question.

Are they accurate now or not?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I doubt it's any higher than before the holidays, considering that the average rating on Amazon has gone up a notch (4.0 stars from 3.9).

Oh yeah, Amazon rating of an Amazon product. Very credible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

With many cheap tablets selling close to $200 (and some even below), I start to think that Amazon may be breaking even on the Kindle Fire... No signs of a price increase despite the reportedly good sales, either...

Breaking even on the Fire? Not even close. Wait till the next couple of earnings reports. INvestors are going to fleeing.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

I don't understand why people get so offended by any kind of competition in the tablet market. Kindle Fires appeal to different buyers and not everyone wants to be in on the Apple ecosystem despite it being the best in my opinion for most digital content.

Most of us here are not offended in the least.

We just think it is quite an inferior product.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That wasn't the question.

Are they accurate now or not?

No?
  • Reply 27 of 53
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Any word on the return rate on the Fire since the holiday season?

people i know that bought it are happy. who cares about lag when reading which is the major feature of this.

i mostly read on my ipad 2 and the hardware is overkill for most of my usage

amazon just got the cheap tablet market before apple got there
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

No?

What I'm getting at is that I think the same thing could be said about people who bash Apple... Digitimes is looked at as a good source of info when bashing Apple but a bad source when praising Apple.

So I asked you if you agree with them now or not... but you seem a little indecisive.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Android makers always lie and inflate their figures.

It's like how they always cite shipped numbers instead of what is actually sold to consumers.

I don't trust any sales estimates about the Kindle Fire. And since Amazon doesn't release any figures, I do not acknowledge that the Kindle Fire has sold well. I need to see facts, not speculation, especially when it comes to inferior tablets like the Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

people i know that bought it are happy. who cares about lag when reading which is the major feature of this.

i mostly read on my ipad 2 and the hardware is overkill for most of my usage

amazon just got the cheap tablet market before apple got there

I think the Fire has its uses.

My friend bought two for her children ages 4 and 5. Those kids are like a tornado going through the house. They drop, break, throw, step on everything. No way she was going to give them iPads. She has an iPad, MBP, iPhone as does her husband. Sure there are some drawbacks to the Fire but the kids can stay occupied for a while in the car or on a plane ride. The Fires are not meant to be enhanced learning devices like an iPad. Sort of an entry level tablet. Maybe when the kids are a bit older and won't throw them around they will get iPads.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

What I'm getting at is that I think the same thing could be said about people who bash Apple... Digitimes is looked at as a good source of info when bashing Apple but a bad source when praising Apple.

So I asked you if you agree with them now or not... but you seem a little indecisive.

That might be that I don't consider them reliable.

Just another rumor source to lump in with others. If there's several such sources reporting the same general news, then that might be a bit more reliable. By themselves, not so much IMO.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Seems strange to cut orders when they don't have enough units for an international launch yet.

Unless Amazon are going to hold off the international launch until a 2nd generation Fire is ready.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

That might be that I don't consider them reliable.

Just another rumor source to lump in with others. If there's several such sources reporting the same general news, then that might be a bit more reliable. By themselves, not so much IMO.

Sure... but you just had to make a dig at Apple fans while you were at it.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the Fire has its uses.

My friend bought two for her children ages 4 and 5. Those kids are like a tornado going through the house. They drop, break, throw, step on everything. No way she was going to give them iPads. She has an iPad, MBP, iPhone as does her husband. Sure there are some drawbacks to the Fire but the kids can stay occupied for a while in the car or on a plane ride. The Fires are not meant to be enhanced learning devices like an iPad. Sort of an entry level tablet. Maybe when the kids are a bit older and won't throw them around they will get iPads.

amazon has a nice children's book selection for the kindle with nice animation as well. not like apple, but more book like.

one person i know bought the fire for his daughter to read. all the people that bought it that i know had no intention of buying $500 ipads or any tablet in that price range
  • Reply 35 of 53
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They don't even post their sale numbers; do you really think we'll ever know about returns?

I wont matter at earnings. I am expecting that dumping tablets below or at cost is going to affect earnings. I will get a few cheap weekly puts on jan 31. A stock trading at 100 P/E can drop like a bag of patatoes when it miss by a lot. I may even do a straddle depending on premiums.

BTW I just bought a few JUL16 Google calls. :-)
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

Sure... but you just had to make a dig at Apple fans while you were at it.

No, I wasn't making any "dig" at Apple fans (which believe it or not I count myself among. Odd that no one has ever asked me.) It might be a "dig" at anyone from either persuasion that treats rumor sites as posting facts when it's convenient to their point of view, and "unsubstantiated trash" when it's not. It happens every day here. In this particular thread it happened to be only pro-Apple posters, but it obviously goes both ways.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

So you don't agree with the 3 million units figure for this quarter or the 6 million units figure for the holiday quarter?

Actually, I don't buy either of them.

Amazon claimed to be selling 1 million Kindles OF ALL TYPES) in December. The Fire was released on November 15, so there were about 6 weeks of sales. So even if sales in November were the same as December, they only sold 6 million Kindles of all types during that time period. I'm guessing that the Fire was close to half.

So I'm guessing 3 million last quarter and maybe 2 million this quarter (since they'll have 12 weeks instead of 6).

Keep in mind that when iPad sales dropped by 40% last year in the 1st calendar quarter, the analysts went nuts and completely hammered Apple's stock. Yet a 50% drop for Kindle Fire (which is the number being thrown out here) is far worse:

- Apple announced iPad 2 which lead to some decrease in iPad 1 sales in the quarter.

- Apple had a full 13 weeks in each quarter. Amazon only had 6 weeks last quarter and 13 weeks this quarter.

- Apple was already selling globally in the previous quarter. Fire has not been launched yet in many major countries.

If Fire sales drop by 50%, that would be an unmitigated disaster for Amazon.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nobody here cares about the so-called "tablet market" except Android-obsessed DED and The Usual Suspectz. We're all about the iPad market. Have you forgotten that, before 2010, there was effectively no tablet market? Microsoft had been pushing it for decades. Even Eric Schmidt believed that tablets were done and over. Now everyone is running around screaming "omg tablet market!!!" and what has changed? Oh, right: the iPad.

The only people who are "offended" are folks who constantly post stuff about "competition" on these forums. They are irked that Apple has done well and want Apple fans to acknowledge how great the competition is also. They think Apple fans are so stupid for not thinking like them, and they're constantly berating the "iSheep" in these forums. They forget: there would be no "omg tablet market!!!" today if the iPad wasn't a huge success and you know who made the iPad a huge success? The iSheep they hate soooo much. One sale at a time. That's what really irks them. We legitimized the whole "omg tablet market!!!"

omg, you are so right on! I love the tone of this and how true it is. People forget to give credit where do and have to agree Apple has created this market and everyone is just following. As of yesterday, Apple has just innovative how to teach our schoolers.

I feel like what Apple has done thus far are things I've read as a kid on what the future would be like in year 2000 but it's year 2012 now. hehehe
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

No, I wasn't making any "dig" at Apple fans (which believe it or not I count myself among. Odd that no one has ever asked me.) It might be a "dig" at anyone from either persuasion that treats rumor sites as posting facts when it's convenient to their point of view, and "unsubstantiated trash" when it's not. It happens every day here. In this particular thread it happened to be only pro-Apple posters, but it obviously goes both ways.

If you really want us to believe that then next time you make a comment like that you might want to leave Apple out of it and just say that people in general tend to choose only the information that agrees with their argument regardless of the quality of the source.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    The other way to look at it is Amazon ordered 6M Fires last quarter and still have a ton of them in warehouses and had to cut their order to not end up flowing out of their storage facilities. Given how Amazon continues to refuse actual numbers for their product sales, I find it hard to believe pretty much anything they say about it. I have yet to see anyone using the Fire either. Usually the store models are not working and I don't know anyone who has bought it yet. Yes, I realize that means nothing as it's anecdotal, but that's been my experience so far.