Amazon expected to cut Kindle Fire orders in half as new iPad looms

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh yeah, Amazon rating of an Amazon product. Very credible.

It's not Amazon rating, it's a forum open to users. With 12000+ reviews, I find it a lot more credible than most other sources. I am aware that there is some bias, but I was reflecting on the change in ratings, not on the absolute value.

Amazon has created a fantastic network for real consumer reporting, which is to me even more impressive than their sales model.

Quote:

Breaking even on the Fire? Not even close. Wait till the next couple of earnings reports. INvestors are going to fleeing.

I was only guessing, in light of the pricing of recent low-end tablets. My prediction may be far off, as may be your own prediction about a future price increase for the Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I was only guessing, in light of the pricing of recent low-end tablets. My prediction may be far off, as may be your own prediction about a future price increase for the Kindle Fire.

Price increase?

I'm waiting for the announcement from Amazon saying that they are dropping the Fire from their line-up.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    I just don't see a point in the Fire... at least for me. But of course I don't have a reason to get an iPad either.

I do have a Kindle Touch, and I only use it for reading books... and I love it. Is mainly about the size and eInk display since trying to read for several hours on a glowing LCD screen makes my eyes and head hurt, but the eInk is like reading paper. The Kindle Fire loses that with a LCD screen...
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

It's not Amazon rating, it's a forum open to users. With 12000+ reviews, I find it a lot more credible than most other sources. I am aware that there is some bias, but I was reflecting on the change in ratings, not on the absolute value.

Amazon has created a fantastic network for real consumer reporting, which is to me even more impressive than their sales model.

Does Apple.com have ratings in their store?

I bet the iPad would get the highest rating there.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Most of us here are not offended in the least.

We just think it is quite an inferior product.

The products are not even in the same league, one is a sportscar and the other is a truck. Different purposes and price points.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Amazon doesn't officially sell the iPad, 3rd party sellers do and they charge more than suggested retail price.

That's likely what puts the Fire in first place among tablet sales on amazon.com.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    The Kindle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nobody here cares about the so-called "tablet market" except Android-obsessed DED and The Usual Suspectz. We're all about the iPad market. Have you forgotten that, before 2010, there was effectively no tablet market? Microsoft had been pushing it for decades. Even Eric Schmidt believed that tablets were done and over. Now everyone is running around screaming "omg tablet market!!!" and what has changed? Oh, right: the iPad.

The only people who are "offended" are folks who constantly post stuff about "competition" on these forums. They are irked that Apple has done well and want Apple fans to acknowledge how great the competition is also. They think Apple fans are so stupid for not thinking like them, and they're constantly berating the "iSheep" in these forums. They forget: there would be no "omg tablet market!!!" today if the iPad wasn't a huge success and you know who made the iPad a huge success? The iSheep they hate soooo much. One sale at a time. That's what really irks them. We legitimized the whole "omg tablet market!!!"

Did it occur to anyone that Amazon sells a lot of Apple products and peripherals? The Kindle is zero threat to Apple. If your in the market for an iPad you will get one. If you can't afford one you can get a Kindle. Apple is very happy not to be the lowest price tablet on the market.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Price increase?

I'm waiting for the announcement from Amazon saying that they are dropping the Fire from their line-up.

Yeah, a price increase, although it was not me who suggested it. In case they sell too many and the additional revenue does not justify the low price, Amazon might just as well drop it...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Does Apple.com have ratings in their store?

I bet the iPad would get the highest rating there.

That's neither here nor there. The iPad is indisputably the tablet leader; if the Kindle Fire gets 4 out of 5, of course the iPad will get close to 5 on any site.

If you are implying that Amazon's ratings are tampered with, then you are either misinformed or disingenuous.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's only the trolls that are offended...by the fact that Apple exists. Look, let us Apple fans have our day will you. For years we have had to endure mockery, denigration, "sheeple" and "lemming" comments, predictions of doom and gloom, and general dismissal by the nerd herd and tech bloggers. Apple is kicking these people in the nuts now. Now it's our turn to call the Fire a failed POS if we want to. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

I feel your pain. I've used Macs since 1998 and my whole career has been related to Mac integration, admin and support. There will always be haters or Apple's success, its just that Amazon released a product for their ecosystem which is fine actually and better than anything else in the Android space.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

I feel your pain. I've used Macs since 1998 and my whole career has been related to Mac integration, admin and support. There will always be haters or Apple's success, its just that Amazon released a product for their ecosystem which is fine actually and better than anything else in the Android space.

I think, compared to the Kindle eReader with eInk display, the Fire is the inferior divice for reading books. It's actually quite funny to see the old Kindle ad campaign (which I have to admit, was quite funny, since it contained a small portion of truth) and now they try to sell a product with a display, they used to mock about.

On the other side, as a tablet computer, the Fire really suck. So, don't be surprised, that you will find people in this forum that make fun about the Fire.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I think, compared to the Kindle eReader with eInk display, the Fire is the inferior divice for reading books. It's actually quite funny to see the old Kindle ad campaign (which I have to admit, was quite funny, since it contained a small portion of truth) and now they try to sell a product with a display, they used to mock about.

Quite true; I read one review on the net by a disgruntled customer who was returning the Kindle Fire because he was disappointed that it didn't come with an eInk screen on the back. Now, that would be an interesting device -- read a book, flip it over, watch a movie! As to the customer, yet another example that there's a fine line between genius and insanity...
  • Reply 53 of 53
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The market is bigger than the analysts seem to understand. The Kindle Fire will continue to sell well because of the lower price point. The iPad 3 will sell a record number. The whole tablet market pie will only get bigger.