Bill Gates discusses Steve Jobs, Apple's iBooks & the future of education

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

If you are a gamer you are forced to use MSFT since they have DirectX. But the users believe that they are free to choose since its an open standard.

It's not Microsoft's fault that Apple abandoned the game market. And Apple hasn't really shown signs that it's making any real attempts to win that crowd back either, with the only affordable Macs not having user-upgradeable components. Apple occasionally makes minimal attempts to act like they're connected to the gaming crowd, but that commitment doesn't last long beyond the keynote speech.

Quote:

Isn't it strange that Windows Ultimate costs 300 dollars and OSX ultimate costs 29 dollar? MSFT Office costs 300-500 dollars and Pages/Keynote/Numbers cost 10 dollar each?

Considering that Microsoft is a software company and Apple is a hardware company, no it's not strange. Besides perhaps Keynote, Apple's office programs in no compare to the power of Microsoft's applications. Further, that $300 usually gets you more than just 3 programs such as Outlook, OneNote, Access, etc.

Apple writes software to support their hardware. They've already got a good chunk of change from you through your hardware purchase (Mac, iPad, iPhone) that getting another $29 for an OS upgrade is just gravy.

Quote:

For most companies its cheaper to buy an iPad + Apple office, then buying MSFT Office.

Let's see, if you're saying MS Office costs $300-500, then any way you cut it, that would be cheaper than the $499 minimum iPad cost + $30 Apple office apps. So how is Apple cheaper?

Quote:

So.. Great that Bill gives money, but he is a thief.

Thanks for being blinded by either Apple fanboyism or hatred for Microsoft.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    I would talk for hours, days, weeks(!) about how much Microsoft was a company dishonest, screwing the industry, computers enthusiasts and consumers all together (yes!) and Bill Gates never was the passionate and vibrant person as Steve Jobs.

Still, Ballmer I can't respect, Bill Gates, I'm forced to respect him for his acts. He talks and acts a lot for his philanthropy.

Maybe he atones for microsoft, some would say, but in the end, it was not so bad (it was just software). No, I think Bill Gates is sincere, and he uses all the money and past works he got to do good things because it is really who he is.

Bill Gates the computer geek in microsoft was not the real Bill Gates. it was just his incredibly successful job.

And still don't forget, he was quite skillful to manage Microsoft, with Ballmer's help, yes. Without Gates, Ballmer is loosing Microsoft.

-

For Steve Jobs Apple, NeXT and Pixar was him, it was all who he was. His work is what defined Jobs. He put in it his own personality, his dream, his will and would have worked to the last day for it if it was possible.

You can't think of Steve Jobs without Apple. You can think of Bill Gates for something else than Microsoft.

And maybe it's a good thing for Gates.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

for any geeks/computers enthusiast from the 80s/90s, it's very hard to forgot the hate for Microsoft

very hard, I assure you.

I'm joking but it's like I have sometimes to take pills to not hate MS for 80s old stuff...

there are so many stories, so many, too much. so many wasted opportunities for greater products and better computers because of Microsoft. You could write books and of course many books was made about these years.

So please, understand old geezers. Take that like old fantasy stories of an old time by traumatized ones, it will amuse you in a good way and it's also one reason why that industry is so fun : there are real passion, since many years.

The passion is still burning. you can think it's just blindness, but you will loose something.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I take it you weren't around for the 80s or 90s, so I'll make the overarching statement that others are implying:

Windows would not exist without Microsoft's theft of software from Apple. Period.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Bill stole this money from us, the consumer.

Give me a break
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

No one forced you to buy a PC or to use Windows. People actually make choice and some people do not care! As long as they can get on the web and Facebook is all that matters.

Absolutely not true, as you'll find out one day when you're grown up and have to go to work.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

I feel that changing the world is what Steve Jobs enjoyed.

I agree and I suspect his personal beliefs had a lot to do with that, I am meaning spiritually. Being an atheist myself I do find his belief system worth reading more about, it seems to have made Steve an exceptional human being.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    The other thing to keep in mind about Bill Gates, he's also partially engaged in a legacy cleansing exercise. In his days running Microsoft he accumulated a lot of very unpleasant baggage in terms of his business practices. Now he's whitewashing that in the public eye.

Yes, now his name looks good. No one remembers Carnegie or Nobel as the nasty sorts they were either. All that's remembered now is what they did after they made their millions.

It doesn't mean what he's doing now is bad ... but one has to take into consideration where the money came from in the first place to have a complete picture of the person.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Absolutely not true, as you'll find out one day when you're grown up and have to go to work.

Those days are changing fast, if you are forced to use a PC now I am truly sorry but many, many companies are seeing the light as IT either lose their stranglehold or embrace iOS which is leading to OS X getting a fresh look. There is an IT revolution going on folks
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I take it you weren't around for the 80s or 90s, so I'll make the overarching statement that others are implying:

Windows would not exist without Microsoft's theft of software from Apple. Period.

I was around during the 80s and 90s. It's farcical to argue that Windows 3.1, which was the first commercially successful windows version, bore any resemblance to MacOS.

I assume most of us have read the Jobs biography. It's quite clear that theft and questionable ethics were practiced by all parties in the 80s, including Mr. Jobs.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSmith View Post

The other thing to keep in mind about Bill Gates, he's also partially engaged in a legacy cleansing exercise. In his days running Microsoft he accumulated a lot of very unpleasant baggage in terms of his business practices. Now he's whitewashing that in the public eye.

Yes, now his name looks good. No one remembers Carnegie or Nobel as the nasty sorts they were either. All that's remembered now is what they did after they made their millions.

It doesn't mean what he's doing now is bad ... but one has to take into consideration where the money came from in the first place to have a complete picture of the person.

Never truer words said.

I always cringe at what Carnegie tried to do to the English language Here in the USA ... And partially succeeded ... And he a poorly educated Scot (albeit a very successful one)
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

I was around during the 80s and 90s. It's farcical to argue that Windows 3.1, which was the first commercially successful windows version, bore any resemblance to MacOS.

I assume most of us have read the Jobs biography. It's quite clear that theft and questionable ethics were practiced by all parties in the 80s, including Mr. Jobs.

Cough cough ... You have to be joking right? Windows was literally based on a reverse engineering hack of the first Mac. In the possession of Microsoft while under contract to produce Steve Job's brain child, Mac Office. You know, Word, Multiplan aka Excel etc. So Gates' two great achievements were a stolen OS and Steve's Office. No wonder he gives a lot of money away.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Too bad Jobs never got a chance to enjoy his billions since he was working everyday. Bill on the other hand is retired and probably is enjoying every minute of it.

For Jobs, we could recall what island hermit is using for his signature these days:

"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me." - Steve Jobs

For Gates, I can't help feeling he is doing atonement for perpetrating on the world the mediocrity combined with rapacity that his company represents. Hats off for doing what he is doing, but he has also abandoned ship, and there are a lot of passengers and crew on the S.S. Microsoft.

Jobs would never have left his company adrift and taking on water -- to retire! -- for any reason, no matter how philanthropic.

Edit: anticipated by JSmith and digitalclips above, I see.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Yeah, I hate to break this to you but Macs are used in the workplace also.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Sounds like Bill Weir forgot to wear a microphone

the feed is stereo, Gates is on left speaker and Bill Weir is on right speaker.

Check your system.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Interesting that Bill still has to mention that Jobs was not an engineer. Fact is that many engineers do not automatically consider software developers to be real engineers
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Too bad Jobs never got a chance to enjoy his billions since he was working everyday. Bill on the other hand is retired and probably is enjoying every minute of it.

Actually, good old Bill is working quite hard. He is very active in his BMGF work. Very.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

In the 80s? Questionable activities continue unabated, my friend. It's all a question of perspective.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I think working is what Steve Jobs enjoyed.

I agree completely. Steve Jobs lived a simply life in a middle-class neighborhood. He worked to the very end. Jobs died doing what he loved. I hope that the same can be said of me after I am gone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSmith View Post

The other thing to keep in mind about Bill Gates, he's also partially engaged in a legacy cleansing exercise. ...

This is exactly correct. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation was founded in the shadow of the U. S. Government's antitrust trial of Microsoft. Gates needed to change the narrative. Of the work that I am aware of performed by the Foundation, I am in complete and total support of. I applaud Bill and Melinda for what appears to be sincere effort on their parts. Quite frankly, I wish that other millionaires and billionaires engaged in similar or supportive efforts. It is to his credit that Warren Buffett has done so. Still, it is difficult for me to give more than an intellectual recognition for William H. Gates, III's current good works. He did too much damage to too many people for me to give him unqualified praise now.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Jobs would never have left his company adrift and taking on water -- to retire! -- for any reason, no matter how philanthropic.

True that, because he did not believe in philanthropy. But really, castigating Gates for *abandoning* Microsoft is silly? What if he had stayed on and the company tanked worse that it has, would you be accusing him of staying on too long?

Furthermore, what he is doing more is many magnitudes more significant than what Microsoft and Apple do, combined.