iPad takes 96% of tablets, iPhone 53% of phones in Good mobile enterprise study

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Excellent points. However, in this case consumer adoption is driving the corporate adoption. Today iOS apps are being written for internal use within a company on employees personal devices. It means less capital expenditure for the company and much higher satisfaction (and compliance) among employees. Despite Office and Windows being everywhere, Microsoft has a huge hill to climb in adoption of their technology in the mobile space, and until that happens you won't see the enterprise uptake, either.

I agre wholeheartedly. I think that MS has a big hill to climb, but I do think that a second tablet OS will emerge. The market is just too big for me to imagine that one company will control it forever. I don't think that MS (or anyone else) will overtake Apple, but I do think that someone will eventually carve out the 'alternative' niche. It just doesn't look to me like Android will be that alternative

Edit: I just re-read my original post & I don't think that I conveyed my feelings fully. I think that a second tablet OS will emerge, but I don't think they will overtake Apple. I think whoever it is will become the alternative to iOS.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Keep in mind that "favorable reviews" for PlaysForSure, Zune and Windows Phone 7 didn't do anything to help those products sell.

Completely agree. That's why I said that we'll have to wait & see what happens once they come to market. It's easy to make a prototype look good, but it does seem like MS is doing things to make the tablets competitive. (I have no idea on price, so that may be a deal killer) Things like establishing certain hardware specs that will force a modicum of uniformity on the Windows tablets (unless I am thinking of windows smartphone) to ensure a decent user experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Apple has had virtually zero serious competition to the iPhone from 2007 through 2010 (biggest entries being the overhyped Palm Pre in 2009 and the Droid marketing in 2010), but that hasn't stopped it from raising the bar at a rapid pace. iPad also didn't sit around looking to collect money while everyone else tried to catch up. iPad 2 was an entirely new design, and iPad 3 looks like it will advance things dramatically.

Agreed again. But even with that 3 year headstart, the iphone now splits the market with Android for users. I don't think that MS or anyone else is going to knock Apple out of their tablet perch, but I do think it's realistic to assume that a second tablet OS will emerge that gets a decent amount of corporate uptake (20% of the market). It's obviously not going to be RIM or WebOS. I think that MS has a better chance than Android to fill that niche.

Edit: I just re-read my original post & I don't think that I conveyed my feelings fully. I think that a second tablet OS will emerge, but I don't think they will overtake Apple. I think whoever it is will become the alternative to iOS.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

what does the consumer have to do with the enterprise market?

Employees want to connect their personal phones (which primarily means iPhone and Android) to corporate networks and access work emails and calendars.

The number of people using corporate phones is only going to diminish. Unfortunately for RiM and Microsoft this kills off their key advantage.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    [QUOTE=mkral;2031923]I think that MS has a big hill to climb, but I do think that a second tablet OS will emerge. The market is just too big for me to imagine that one company will control it forever./QUOTE]

You mean, in the way that MS Windows 90% dominance controls the desktop? I agree it is too soon to count the chickens, but let's not limit the possibilities. After all, there's still plenty of growth potential here.

As for those posters pretending to be confused about the link between consumers and enterprise, you have to remember that iPads and iPhones were targeted at professionals and upper executive level employees as home consumers; it really shouldn't be a surprise that they wanted to use them at work too - and had the vision to see how beneficial they could be to salesforces.

As others have said more eloquently than me, it was the IT departments, not the CEOs, directors and other execs mostly saying iPads were toys. I'm surprised these guys still have jobs, because they clearly are more than just toys.

The interesting thing is the growth of Mac sales piggy backing onto the success of the iOS devices. Apple's clearly in a perfect storm at the moment, whatever it does turns to gold.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This might just win the prize for most delusional post of 2012.

Simply amazing.

Very delusional. I was going to answer it, but realized the futility. It'd be like taking candy from a baby. The theory that "Apple must woo Enterprise to win" is a very Microsoft-centric idea. It's as dumb as the once-popular theory that "Apple must dump their hardware business and license MacOS 7 to clone makers the way Microsoft licenses Windows 95." It's an idea born out of a LACK OF VISION. A lack of foresight. A lack of understanding what makes Apple great.

Besides, if Enterprise were driving mobile device sales, wouldn't BlackBerry and Windows Mobile/Phone 7, the most Enterprise-friendly choices, be ON TOP of the chart instead of ON THE BOTTOM?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Apple: "We are the 96 percent."
  • Reply 27 of 34
    mkralmkral Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

You mean, in the way that MS Windows 90% dominance controls the desktop? I agree it is too soon to count the chickens, but let's not limit the possibilities. After all, there's still plenty of growth potential here.

No, not really. There were lots of Windows licensees, so although Windows was the dominant OS, there was lots of competition in the market. You could buy Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM or a ton of other brands. I just don't see one company owning the entire market. I do think that Apple will retain their dominant place, as long as they continue to innovate. I do think that someone else will come along & fill the niche that oexists for those that don't want iOS.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Thurrott can't find his own ass even though his head is right up inside it.

Geez - keep it clean and there's no need for personal attacks. He's obviously a Windows fanboi but he's entitled to his opinion/religion. He is quite the zealot but even Apple seems to appreciate having him test their products before general release. I love seeing him bend over backwards to deliver compliments.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Very delusional. I was going to answer it, but realized the futility. It'd be like taking candy from a baby. The theory that "Apple must woo Enterprise to win" is a very Microsoft-centric idea. It's as dumb as the once-popular theory that "Apple must dump their hardware business and license MacOS 7 to clone makers the way Microsoft licenses Windows 95." It's an idea born out of a LACK OF VISION. A lack of foresight. A lack of understanding what makes Apple great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkral View Post

No, not really. There were lots of Windows licensees, so although Windows was the dominant OS, there was lots of competition in the market. You could buy Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM or a ton of other brands. I just don't see one company owning the entire market. I do think that Apple will retain their dominant place, as long as they continue to innovate. I do think that someone else will come along & fill the niche that oexists for those that don't want iOS.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." -- Alan Kay

• Reply 30 of 34
    How does this company pick up the phone in the morning? "Good morning, this is Good" (?)
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

How does this company pick up the phone in the morning? "Good morning, this is Good" (?)

They say "Morning, this is Good comma."
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

I hear that they give good phone
  • Reply 33 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I say play into it: "It's a goooood morning at Good! How can I help you?"

Or one of us could call Good tomorrow morning to find out.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

Apple is only used out of compulsion by users, esp seniors. Apple does not cater to IT departments and they will jump ship as soon as they. This is almost a religious zeal.

Regarding Good, their iPhone and iPad support is marginal with lots of performance and behavior problems. Aside from poor attachment compatibility and PKI support they remain rather unresponsive. It's almost as if they are slow rolling the app until they can get off of Apple.

Don't get out much, gprovida?