iPad takes 96% of tablets, iPhone 53% of phones in Good mobile enterprise study

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Enterprise mobile services vendor Good Technology reported that iPad accounted for 96 percent of tablets and iPhone 53 percent of smartphones activated by the more than 2,000 companies using its services in the fourth quarter, giving iOS a 71 percent share of all mobile devices.

Good provides push messaging, device management and security products for corporate mobile users, serving as an alternative to RIM's BlackBerry Enterprise Server. As such, Good supports mobile platforms outside of RIM's own, including Microsoft's Windows Mobile, Symbian, iOS and Android.

Good reported that of the top ten devices it saw activated in the last quarter, Apple's five iOS models accounted for the top five slots. The new iPhone 4S took the lead, quickly jumping to 31 percent of all activations in the quarter.

iPhone 4 was next, followed by iPad 2, the original iPad, and iPhone 3GS. The top Android device was Samsung's Galaxy S II, which placed sixth. Windows Mobile/Windows Phone 7 and Symbian were pushed out of Good's top ten devices a year ago by iOS or Android, just one year after Good added support for the new mobile platforms.

Good said Android activations had initially gained some ground in October but "trailed off as activations of the iPhone 4S rapidly ramped up." Overall, iOS took 71 percent share of all mobile activations in the winter quarter, up from a 65 percent share in the year ago quarter.

Good's customer base of enterprise users includes half of the Fortune 100. The company said just over a third of all mobile device activations are made by the financial services industry.

The company also pointed out that businesses representing Life Sciences "witnessed the highest rate of growth" and an increase in iPad deployments, which it said "fits with anecdotal data around iPads begin deployed proactively to sales forces in that industry, notably among Pharmaceutical companies."

Across all of 2011, Good reported that Apple's initial launch of iPhone 4 on Verizon gave Apple a boost in the first quarter, while the launch of iPad 2 increased iOS' showing in the second quarter. After gaining some ground in the third quarter, Android fell back in the fourth quarter during the blockbuster launch of iPhone 4S.

Apple enjoys a higher market share among enterprise users because its integrated products are easier to support and cover a variety of features, ranging from Exchange Server to IPSec VPN clients, that Android-based devices do not consistently support. Android's open ecosystem of devices and their manufacturers' and carriers' various proprietary software layers also add security issues and complexity barriers to making them usable by enterprises.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Nice to finally see a believable number related to tablets. Last year all the analysts were saying the iPad had about 50% market share which was totally bogus.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Apple is only used out of compulsion by users, esp seniors. Apple does not cater to IT departments and they will jump ship as soon as they. This is almost a religious zeal.

Regarding Good, their iPhone and iPad support is marginal with lots of performance and behavior problems. Aside from poor attachment compatibility and PKI support they remain rather unresponsive. It's almost as if they are slow rolling the app until they can get off of Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Nice to finally see a believable number related to tablets. Last year all the analysts were saying the iPad had about 50% market share which was totally bogus.

The iPad actually does only have a 50% tablet market share... of the number made.

Of the number actually in users hands, well, that number is over 90% imo.

Android's 50% is broken up this way:

20% have actually been sold (of which 40% are being used... the rest are being used: to level dressers, as a fetch item for the dog, in the bottom of bird cages, [as door stops])

15% are still in the channel, somewhere, nobody is actually sure where

65% are being used by unicorns
  • Reply 4 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    I think the consumer is beginning to realize that not all tablets are created equal and if you buy an Android tablet, you're essentially getting junk. I'd call an Android tablet a "doorstop", but that would be insulting to real doorstops.

You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    what does the consumer have to do with the enterprise market?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

"Android's open ecosystem of devices and their manufacturers' and carriers' various proprietary software layers also add security issues and complexity barriers to making them usable by enterprises"

The most telling defficiency, one which Google is going to have an almost impossible task to remedy because the fragmentaion issue can't be solved and of the other security issue is a tough one to fix, "and complexity barriers" though vague is another one that is almost impossible to fix too.

Another year and Apple will have almost completely run away with the Enterprise Mobile market - game over Google.

Who would have thought that a few years ago when RIM had it almost all to themselves! iOS and Android have almost half the consumer market each to themelves. Android is the new Apple circa 1997 - business isn't taking them seriously. Android is the TOY now funny how the most vocal critics calling the iPhone and iPad "a toy" are now having to eat their own words - the irony is amazing, and the silence from them telling, SLAPPY come back we love you, SLAPPY SLAPPY SLAPPY

Does Google have plans for a new mobile OS which doesn't have these issues. maybe?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Consumers are largely the reason for the tremendous growth of Apple in the enterprise.

This is the market that Microsoft was supposed to maintain control over, and which RIM was supposed to own (this data is looking at non-RIM shops, but RIM is clearly slipping everywhere), and that was supposed to "hate" Apple.

Appears things are changing rapidly.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Consumers are largely the reason for the tremendous growth of Apple in the enterprise.

This is the market that Microsoft was supposed to maintain control over, and which RIM was supposed to own (this data is looking at non-RIM shops, but RIM is clearly slipping everywhere), and that was supposed to "hate" Apple.

Appears things are changing rapidly.

All of which is irrelevent to commenting on consumer rates of ipad adoption, when the article is only talking about enterprise.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

The Enterprise Remains Hostile To Apple

Err, no but nice try. My son-in-law's company moved totally to the iOS/iPhone/iPad platform. And it's a pretty big company too. Just the tip of the iceberg and Android's captain is blissfully unaware of the size of it.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Interesting that Paul Thurott now refers to Apple as a "consumer electronics" giant. He just can't get the words out of his mouth apparently.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Apple is only used out of compulsion by users, esp seniors. Apple does not cater to IT departments and they will jump ship as soon as they. This is almost a religious zeal.

Regarding Good, their iPhone and iPad support is marginal with lots of performance and behavior problems. Aside from poor attachment compatibility and PKI support they remain rather unresponsive. It's almost as if they are slow rolling the app until they can get off of Apple.

There's an old saying , "you get what you resist"

The way this works is like this

IF I put my attention on something it gives it power. Like learning to ski safely. If I want to ski around a tree I certainly don't want to focus on the tree do I? So I focus on the space where I intend to ski.

You are right in one thing though, IT hates Apple, years of biggoted self serving idiots slavishly servile to MS. I don't blame them though it was a great cash cow for consultants and still is, obviously they don't want their livelihoods threatened by devices that "just work". Really though the seeds of their demise are not caused by Apple.

Its been funny to watch management at my company force these zealots to use Apple devices, first they said "NO" then they were told to shutup or else - you get what you resist in action.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Interesting that Paul Thurott now refers to Apple as a "consumer electronics" giant. He just can't get the words out of his mouth apparently.

Thurrott can't find his own ass even though his head is right up inside it.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

There's an old saying , "you get what you resist"

The way this works is like this

IF I put my attention on something it gives it power. Like learning to ski safely. If I want to ski around a tree I certainly don't want to focus on the tree do I? So I focus on the space where I intend to ski.

You are right in one thing though, IT hates Apple, years of biggoted self serving idiots slavishly servile to MS. I don't blame them though it was a great cash cow for consultants and still is, obviously they don't want their livelihoods threatened by devices that "just work". Really though the seeds of their demise are not caused by Apple.

Its been funny to watch management at my company force these zealots to use Apple devices, first they said "NO" then they were told to shutup or else - you get what you resist in action.

You nailed it spot-on. When I hear Fandroids talk about corporate hostility, it's not the users and management that necessarily have the problem with iOS devices, it's the tech-head IT administrators that are MS/Linux/iHating shills that refuse to bring Apple hardware into their networks for fear of losing job-security with not having to maintain systems.

Either these iHaters in the position of administering networks step up and adapt, or get fired.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    mkralmkral Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Who would have thought that a few years ago when RIM had it almost all to themselves! iOS and Android have almost half the consumer market each to themselves. Android is the new Apple circa 1997 - business isn't taking them seriously.

While I'm as happy as the next apple user/shareholder at Apple's success in the tablet market, as your comment shows, they have a tenuous grip on the corporate market. RIM was in the same spot just a few years ago. Through incredibly poor management over the last few years, they have nearly wiped themselves out. IMHO, Android is not the OS to worry about in tablets; Microsoft is. I'm pretty agnostic on MS, I use macs, ipads & an iphone (but a PC at work). I prefer Apple stuff for sure, but I like MS office & have it on my mac at home. All that being said, they are coming out with their tablets later this year (maybe early 2013, I forget exactly). All of the early reviews have been good. Granted those are early reviews & we'll have to wait and see how they work in real life, but MS has a big toehold in the enterprise & it's likely that they will overtake Android as the alternative tablet OS.

I still think Apple will do well, but this is no time to rest on their laurels. I hope that Tim & his VP's continue to execute as they have been. It will be interesting to see how everything pans out. I think there is a lot of benefit to having one OS for both your tablet & phone. To my thinking, it makes life easier as there is a lot of overlap between the two. If Android remains the alternative smartphone OS, but MS becomes the alternative Tablet OS, I think that presents a lot of opportunity for Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkral View Post

While I'm as happy as the next apple user/shareholder at Apple's success in the tablet market, as your comment shows, they have a tenuous grip on the corporate market. RIM was in the same spot just a few years ago. Through incredibly poor management over the last few years, they have nearly wiped themselves out. IMHO, Android is not the OS to worry about in tablets; Microsoft is. I'm pretty agnostic on MS, I use macs, ipads & an iphone (but a PC at work). I prefer Apple stuff for sure, but I like MS office & have it on my mac at home. All that being said, they are coming out with their tablets later this year (maybe early 2013, I forget exactly). All of the early reviews have been good. Granted those are early reviews & we'll have to wait and see how they work in real life, but MS has a big toehold in the enterprise & it's likely that they will overtake Android as the alternative tablet OS.

I still think Apple will do well, but this is no time to rest on their laurels. I hope that Tim & his VP's continue to execute as they have been. It will be interesting to see how everything pans out. I think there is a lot of benefit to having one OS for both your tablet & phone. To my thinking, it makes life easier as there is a lot of overlap between the two. If Android remains the alternative smartphone OS, but MS becomes the alternative Tablet OS, I think that presents a lot of opportunity for Apple.

Excellent points. However, in this case consumer adoption is driving the corporate adoption. Today iOS apps are being written for internal use within a company on employees personal devices. It means less capital expenditure for the company and much higher satisfaction (and compliance) among employees. Despite Office and Windows being everywhere, Microsoft has a huge hill to climb in adoption of their technology in the mobile space, and until that happens you won't see the enterprise uptake, either.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkral View Post

Perhaps among PC-based tablets, which haven't sold before. MS plans to keep the price of Windows high on Win8 devices, so it will likely kill any potential for Win8 to gain any traction.

Keep in mind that "favorable reviews" for PlaysForSure, Zune and Windows Phone 7 didn't do anything to help those products sell.

Quote:

Apple has had virtually zero serious competition to the iPhone from 2007 through 2010 (biggest entries being the overhyped Palm Pre in 2009 and the Droid marketing in 2010), but that hasn't stopped it from raising the bar at a rapid pace. iPad also didn't sit around looking to collect money while everyone else tried to catch up. iPad 2 was an entirely new design, and iPad 3 looks like it will advance things dramatically.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

This might just win the prize for most delusional post of 2012.

Simply amazing.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

What do you think is driving the enterprise market?

To paraphrase an old saying from the field of marketing, "the consumer is your CEO."
  • Reply 19 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Apple does not cater to IT departments...

Adding to what others have stated, Apple has an entire site dedicated to Enterprise, inlcuding an iOS Configuration Utility that is for both Macs and Windows. So much for Apple not catering to IT/Enterprise.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Perhaps among PC-based tablets, which haven't sold before. MS plans to keep the price of Windows high on Win8 devices, so it will likely kill any potential for Win8 to gain any traction.

Keep in mind that "favorable reviews" for PlaysForSure, Zune and Windows Phone 7 didn't do anything to help those products sell.

Apple has had virtually zero serious competition to the iPhone from 2007 through 2010 (biggest entries being the overhyped Palm Pre in 2009 and the Droid marketing in 2010), but that hasn't stopped it from raising the bar at a rapid pace. iPad also didn't sit around looking to collect money while everyone else tried to catch up. iPad 2 was an entirely new design, and iPad 3 looks like it will advance things dramatically.

Windows 8 tablets will go the same way, in spite of all the spivs and touts spewing their drivel all over the Internet, once people get them in their hands and realise that Windows on ARM does not have the power of Windows on x86, they drop them by the wayside leaving only the most fanatical to continue the tissue of lies.