Nokia's earnings plunge 73%, Nintendo sees first annual loss

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

My problem is not with Tallest Skil, per se, but with the potential weight that words posted by one who has the title "Global Moderator" may carry.

Yes, power, responsibility, brand name rice, all that jazz. I understand it and hope that, should my behavior fall outside forum rules, it be called out like anyone else's.

Quote:

Our opinions may differ, but I feel that if one wishes to post, then post. If one wishes to moderate the forum, do so.

Every other moderator has thousands of posts. I don't see you complaining about them.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sorry, I'll go back to just deleting spam and keeping the peace in threads that turn nasty or political. I obviously don't have any right to ask questions or post at all.

No, that's not it. It's not my forum in which to tell others what to do. I do not have the right, nor the wish to tell anyone not to post.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Uh, that's how it works, champ.

uh, no it's not.

champ. (wtf are you, my dad?)
  • Reply 24 of 74
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

It's way too early for this. The 3DS, since the price drop, has been out-performing the original DS at the same point in time. What many sites, including AI, are failing to report is that the loss is mostly due to the strong yen. Nintendo lost 50 billion yen on the foreign exchange alone.

Cite: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/201...%3E%3Cp%3EThey

The problem isn't Nintendo; it's the shitty US dollar. If Apple were based out of Japan, their quarterly profits would have looked FAR different.

That's cute, but no.

Fun there in fantasy land?

You claim physical controls trump touch screen controls every time, but that's your opinion only and reality speaks differently.

The loss has nothing to do with the shitty dollar, as the projections for dollar devaluation have been well known, accurate, and accounted for. Nintendo was expected to report 4 billion yen in loss. Not 45. Get it now? It was a really bad year for them.

The story continues month after month, and people like you constantly fly out of the woodwork to say, "Its not that bad!" out of pure wishful thinking for Nintendo and all console makers, because for whatever reason you like terrible screens and plastic styli...i don't care, thats your preference. I emphasize, your preference. The market's preference is entirely different, and every single month of sales for at least the last 3.5 - 4 years has proven it.

In less than 3 years Nintendo will either run out of cash, or license products to iOS. That's by 2015. Remember that, for when it happens.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Am I the only one who thinks that the market for Windows Phone devices will overlap more with Android than iOS? Really, it just seems less likely (an unscientific observation, granted) that people accidentally get an iPhone, rather than the people who get Android--and now Windows--devices pitched to them. Let them compete against each other, I say.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I guess the question about what Nokia considers a smartphone is irrelevant now with their 19.6 million smartphones sold. Maybe now they should count their other phones as smartphones.

The problem with Nintendo is that they are still living in the past. My son and his friends all love their iPods. He didn't seem to be interested in the 3DS when he saw it.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Lumia must be Finnish for Ugly. You would think if they were trying to make a come back against Apple they would make a little more effort in the design department. The Lumia 900 looks like a sad attempt to bring back the iPod Nano as a touch screen phone, and despite Microsofts effort at a clean interface, Nokia had to clutter it up with, logos, buttons, dark openings and frame lines.

The greatest thing Google ever did was to have the Android logo designed well. That is a smoking logo. It is the only tech logo out there that can compete with Apple's logo. If they had demanded that all android phones have the Android logo on the back as the apple is used on the iPhone, they might have had a serious shot at creating a strong brand. Instead they slap the ugly Google logo on some phones, the phone's maker has to have their logo right on the front, then the service provide can't stand it and has to have their logo on the front also. That alone makes all Android phones look crappy.

Why do I need to see company logos every time I use my phone?
  • Reply 28 of 74
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

cool. let's start punishing companies when analysts' projections of a company's projections fall short.

This is how the market equalizes. Previous to the actual numbers, those same analysts projections had inflated the stock above what it was worth. Stock price takes into account all available information, including predictions.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

This has more to do with the Wii then the actual 3ds. The 3ds sold 15million units this year. Thats a lot for one year (for nintendo anyway).

nintendos problem is the fact that the wii was so underpowered when it released. Nintendo has to come out with the WII U . Also the american currency vs japanese does not help either since nintendo exports a lot of its devices to america so with the yen being worth more then the dollar it gets expensive.

PS why is the nintendo states here to begin with. This has nothing to do with apple.

Not really. The Wii was adequately powered when it came out - it was just a new paradigm in gaming. Instead of arguing about megapixels per second or frames per second, they introduced a new way of playing games.

The real problem is that they introduced it over 5 years ago without any changes (except for the unexciting Family Edition last year). Five years is an eternity in that market.

A secondary problem is that they never learned to handle manufacturing. Even 2 years ago (more than 3 years after the Wii was introduced), the stores still were not able to get them in stock before Christmas - even though Nintendo had had years to work out supply logistics.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

Why do I need to see company logos every time I use my phone?

Because Apple emblazons their products with reflecto paint?

• Reply 31 of 74
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nokia and WP7 are great HW and OS yet are too late to market to be making any in-roads yet RiM expects to release BB 10 at the end of 2012? If Nokia and MS can't do it I don't think RiM can do it 1.5 years later than them. At least with Nokia and MS there are very deep pockets they can use to maintain and advance their HW and OS, respectively, until there is an opening. I can't say the same thing about RiM. On top of that, MS has an SDK that is good while I don't think there is anything good for their QNX-based OS at this time.

I agree with all of that.

I would add that I'm very surprised that the Nokia WP7 phones didn't do a little better. 1 million units since November is poor and I don't see any silver lining there. I didn't expect sales to light the world on fire but I did think that they would be better than that, at least 3 million units over the holiday season. Even that would only have been 10% of iPhone sales.

That's pretty grim news for MS and Nokia.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not really. The Wii was adequately powered when it came out - it was just a new paradigm in gaming. Instead of arguing about megapixels per second or frames per second, they introduced a new way of playing games.

The real problem is that they introduced it over 5 years ago without any changes (except for the unexciting Family Edition last year). Five years is an eternity in that market.

A secondary problem is that they never learned to handle manufacturing. Even 2 years ago (more than 3 years after the Wii was introduced), the stores still were not able to get them in stock before Christmas - even though Nintendo had had years to work out supply logistics.

And Apple has? Their products are often sold out, so what's their excuse?
  • Reply 33 of 74
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member
    Quote:

Lumia must be Finnish for Ugly. You would think if they were trying to make a come back against Apple they would make a little more effort in the design department. The Lumia 900 looks like a sad attempt to bring back the iPod Nano as a touch screen phone, and despite Microsofts effort at a clean interface, Nokia had to clutter it up with, logos, buttons, dark openings and frame lines.

It's funny, I don't think the non-iPod-Nano one (uh, clever model number eludes me and I'm not really interested enough to go look... ) is so bad looking at all (well, it does look like a white iPhone mostly...), but you couldn't get me to use that horizontal-scrolling nightmare UI.

Who thought that cutting everything off horizontally is hip? For that matter, do they understand that vertical scrolling is easier to parse? Can you imagine if ever web page just did cut-off horizontal pages and scrolling? The Windows 8 beta, whatever-they're-copy-is-called App Store, etc. all are deeply into it too - just nasty. Take their App Store graphic they leaked, scale it to screen height, then scroll through it if you haven't - just incredibly irritating.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

My problem is not with Tallest Skil, per se, but with the potential weight that words posted by one who has the title "Global Moderator" may carry.

Our opinions may differ, but I feel that if one wishes to post, then post. If one wishes to moderate the forum, do so.

So let me get this straight... A long time, frequent contributor to this forum gets asked to become a unpaid moderator whose sole purpose is to remove spam in order to make this forum more pleasant for the rest of us and you want to stop them posting here, only moderate the spam? Does none of that strike you as completely crazy to except from an, again, unpaid member who is doing a service for us by cleaning up the spam? Why would they stick around or accept the position if being a mod meant he couldn't post anymore?
  • Reply 35 of 74
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Can you explain yourself more, both phones shown in the article have a single Nokia written on them, how is this any different than Apple having their logo on the iPhone? And as for buttons, doesn't MS dictate what buttons you have on a WP7 device?
  • Reply 36 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree with all of that.

I would add that I'm very surprised that the Nokia WP7 phones didn't do a little better. 1 million units since November is poor and I don't see any silver lining there. I didn't expect sales to light the world on fire but I did think that they would be better than that, at least 3 million units over the holiday season. Even that would only have been 10% of iPhone sales.

That's pretty grim news for MS and Nokia.

It doesn't look good at all. Usually products of that caliber will find a market. I don't have any high expectations of Win8 on tablets. I think they should have adopted their WP7 for tablets and had them out soon after the iPad was released. I think MS could have gotten a hold of that market back in 2010.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:

It has everything to do with Apple. Apple is the reason for this loss.

No. No. No.

Nintendo's loss has NOTHING to do with Apple and their products. Nintendo lost it's money due to the underperforming Wii, a dedicated home console gaming platform. Though Apple dabbles in this arena with AirPlay it's not a focus of theirs or their users. Nintendo's losses in this area have nothing to do with competition from Apple and everything to do with not releasing enough quality games.

The Nintendo 3DS outsold the first year sales of the original DS in only eight months. It may have had a slow start, but it's rebounded quickly and not a source of loss for the company.

Apple Insider should stop trying create stories out of thin air. They need to report facts and analyze fairly and throughly. Re-distributing theories with no basis in fact only harms.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    Quote:

Every other moderator has thousands of posts. I don't see you complaining about them.

As for the Lumia/WP7:

It makes me happy that consumers can in some cases reward effort with success. A lot of other things in life suggest otherwise.

As for Nintendo, I think this is just a blip. They made a mistake with the 3DS. They really should have made something like the Vita but closer to an iPod Touch in size and power with all their software franchises and an online store.

The Wii U should pick things back up again around Christmas this year if it launches with a good array of titles as it should push past the PS3 and 360 in performance and precede their next efforts by a year or 3, which likely won't show noticeable improvements.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Fun there in fantasy land?

You claim physical controls trump touch screen controls every time, but that's your opinion only and reality speaks differently.

The loss has nothing to do with the shitty dollar, as the projections for dollar devaluation have been well known, accurate, and accounted for. Nintendo was expected to report 4 billion yen in loss. Not 45. Get it now? It was a really bad year for them.

The story continues month after month, and people like you constantly fly out of the woodwork to say, "Its not that bad!" out of pure wishful thinking for Nintendo and all console makers, because for whatever reason you like terrible screens and plastic styli...i don't care, thats your preference. I emphasize, your preference. The market's preference is entirely different, and every single month of sales for at least the last 3.5 - 4 years has proven it.

In less than 3 years Nintendo will either run out of cash, or license products to iOS. That's by 2015. Remember that, for when it happens.

Nintendo is by far my favorite gaming company. Their AAA games are second to none, and just like Apple, they constantly surprise and innovate, and everyone else apes their innovations. They've performed far better than both Sony and Microsoft in the console space, and are destroying Sony in the portable space. The only reason that Microsoft and Sony are even players is because they have their other divisions to absorb all the bleeding from their gaming divisions, and can continually pump money into them while operating at a loss. Nintendo has been the only one so far with a sustainable model and a profitable gaming division- since it's all they do. I hope they're able to survive, and I have a feeling they will.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Nintendo will fine.

And for those saying that Nintendo should simply join mobile/ios... strange to hear considering this is one of the few companies that are trying to innovate in their own field (successfully or not), rather then copying their peers and jumping into the latest cash cow trend. You'd think Apple fans would respect such an ideal.