Nokia's earnings plunge 73%, Nintendo sees first annual loss

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    I just got the Lumia 800 and I have to say wow, it is truly an amazing bit of hardware. As much as I like WP7 the hardware up until this point hasn't been as good as the iPhone. But the Lumia 800 really does end that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

Having a search button doesn't mean there isn't a way to access the OS search function. It simply allows you access to search with ONE click regardless of where you are. How do you search in iOS 5? Slide left to open search from the home screen. Who would've thought to slide left to search? What if your homescreen is in the middle of 8 pages? You would've to click the home button, and then slide left. With android or WP7, just click the search button anytime. Do you really believe this is MORE intuitive than a dedicated search button?

The back button is very convenient, at least in WP7. If I'm using an app and let say the app has a link that opens up the browser to a specific page. After clicking on the link and viewing the content on the specific page, I can just hit BACK, and I'm back to where I left off in the previous app. There's no need to bring up the app switching interface. I could if I want, but I don't have to.

In iOS, suppose an app that I am using has a link that opens up the browser. How do I go back to the previous app? Well, you would have to double-click on the Home button and then select the previous app. That's TWO taps vs ONE tap.

I've had a Windows Phone since WP7 came out but just bought my wife an iPhone 4 (for the record of love Apple and MS products fairly evenly) and the most irritating thing I've found about the iPhone is the lack of a didicated back button. Every app has a back button at the top of the screen in quite possibly the most inconveniant place and like you said if you go into another app there's no quick way to get back, as every app is treated individually you can't click back into it.

Now the home button on the iPhone has to be a great example of confusing UI. Things have moved on a bit since my 3G but so far I've essablished:

1 click takes you home

2 clicks opens the app switching

To search is a little more confusing it's either 1 click space 2 clicks, or 2 clicks space 1 click. 3 clicks doesn't do it, that just gets you the app switching again. If your on a different home screen though you have to do a first click to get back to the first home screen so its something like 1 click gap 1 click gap 2 click, or 1, 2, 1 im not really sure.

Photo's are also interesting, rather than having a camera button, you use the volume button. How you change the volume though is a mystery.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Who thought that cutting everything off horizontally is hip? For that matter, do they understand that vertical scrolling is easier to parse? Can you imagine if ever web page just did cut-off horizontal pages and scrolling? The Windows 8 beta, whatever-they're-copy-is-called App Store, etc. all are deeply into it too - just nasty. Take their App Store graphic they leaked, scale it to screen height, then scroll through it if you haven't - just incredibly irritating.

Spoken like someone who hasn't actually used one of the phones. You get that the sideways scrolling works the same way as tabs right.

If you like buttons though you'll love Windows 8. It's got buttons all over the place, covering the screen. Just like the iPhone, back buttons, search buttons, tab buttons lots and lots of buttons.

Sorry couldn't resist, but anyone who says the sideways scrolling to navigate between tabs is basically saying your should have buttons rather than gestures. Do you seriously think the iPhone home screen would be better if it's pages were on tabs rather than sideways scrolling!!!
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You went to the Nokia USA website, that is the localised one for your location, not their global one. Nokia has their logo on the top, can't understand why that is an issue, they make the thing.

I really doubt that T-Mobile has a factory where they unbox Nokia phones and print their logo on them. Someone at Nokia said, "Okay, okay, we can fit another logo on the phone."

Here is an old video that some designers at microsoft put together to shame the company for letting corporate and marketing idiots dictate produce design. Sort of says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

Unfortunately, good nor bad design can't be proven. However, they do exist. It is always possible that a company clueless enough to plaster their phone with logos might have produced a decent product, but I would call it the first warning sign. It screams "designed by committee"
  • Reply 64 of 74
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

I really doubt that T-Mobile has a factory where they unbox Nokia phones and print their logo on them. Someone at Nokia said, "Okay, okay, we can fit another logo on the phone."

You still seem to be having trouble with the fact it is a local version for t-mobile, Nokia would have been paid to put the logo on, the unbranded model doesn't have an operator logo on it, it you want one, buy the unbranded one, if you don't want one, what difference does it matter to you? The logo doesn't interfer with the operation of the phone
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, so I'm the old and busted and you're all the new hotness. Seems sort of backwards chronologically.

It seems to be selling well. Their mistake, right now, looks like the Wii, of all things.

No, I'm listening. Listening intently. I was unaware that the Wii was underperforming at this stage, particularly because of how many years it operated as iPhones and iPads do today. I figured that the 3DS had had something of a cold launch, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

See… this bothered me. Really bothered me. They announced the Wii U, yeah… and then what? Launch date nearly a year later. Don't these guys have any idea what they're doing?! Osborne wasn't even that stupid. The Wii U should have come out THIS holiday season or they shouldn't have announced it yet at all.

I question their choice to announce it so early unless they plan to have an actually good slew of launch titles to capture as many lost sales as they will have in the interim.

They'd need a new, revolutionary Mario (think what Galaxy was to the existing series) and not just a Galaxy rehash. They'd do well to have Super Smash Bros. Universe a launch title, too. And I mean VERY well. Though I know that's a pipe dream at best.

Just a heads up, there have been rumors that a Smash game will be coming out for the 3DS (a lot of people believe it will be announced at E3). If a Super Smash Bros game comes out for the 3DS expect it to absolutely smash, crush, destroy, and mangle every console record ever set. The only reason the Gamecube wasn't a company crushing flop was because SSB Melee LITERALLY kept the

system afloat. It remained in the top 25 for video games sold for YEARS after it was released. Nintendo 1st party characters can pull the weight of a system by themselves. Apparently if you throw them all together to hit each other they can do it even better

That being said, I know of at least 20 people who would buy a 3DS and wait in line for the release of a Smash title on the 3DS (anecdotal evidence I know, but seeing as how a lot of them gave up gaming past the N64/PSX days I find it useful).

Edit: Forgot, Nintendo confirmed that Smash will be coming to the 3DS. It's only a matter of time...
  • Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You still seem to be having trouble with the fact it is a local version for t-mobile, Nokia would have been paid to put the logo on, the unbranded model doesn't have an operator logo on it, it you want one, buy the unbranded one, if you don't want one, what difference does it matter to you? The logo doesn't interfer with the operation of the phone

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when ATT asked Steve Jobs to put their logo on the front of the iPhone. Of course they did at some point.

But it is nice to know that if I special order a Nokia phone I can get one with only two logos junking up the clutter of buttons, widgets and flashy animation. Comforting to hear that Nokia has standards, and won't add another ugly logo to the front of their phone unless there is a little money in it for them. I imagine they could make even more money if they added a little Coca-cola logo somewhere (there is always room for another advertisement, it seems).

The point isn't that I don't like Nokia phones. Just about all Android and Windows phone makers cram logos all over the front of their phones. It is just one small example of why most phones look so junky. Generally, if I like a phone and the service provider (and the software author) I don't need to be reminded of the companies I am dealing with every time I go to make a phone call, or through two hours of movie viewing.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    deleted
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when ATT asked Steve Jobs to put their logo on the front of the iPhone. Of course they did at some point.

But it is nice to know that if I special order a Nokia phone I can get one with only two logos junking up the clutter of buttons, widgets and flashy animation. Comforting to hear that Nokia has standards, and won't add another ugly logo to the front of their phone unless there is a little money in it for them. I imagine they could make even more money if they added a little Coca-cola logo somewhere (there is always room for another advertisement, it seems).

The point isn't that I don't like Nokia phones. Just about all Android and Windows phone makers cram logos all over the front of their phones. It is just one small example of why most phones look so junky. Generally, if I like a phone and the service provider (and the software author) I don't need to be reminded of the companies I am dealing with every time I go to make a phone call, or through two hours of movie viewing.

With all due respect, you sound like one of those preppy high schoolers that proclaims wearing "GAP" is lame because it's plastered all over the front of the shirt, as she wears a shirt with "Hollister" embroiled across the entire thing. You can't claim that you don't like logos, but claim you don't mind having Apple's logo because it's "classy". All you're saying then is "I don't mind being seen with an Apple brand device, but I wouldn't be caught dead if someone wrote HTC on something".

That's fine if you feel that way, but don't try and play it off like you don't like having brand logos on the phone.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

First of all, it's universally accepted that touch screen controls aren't as good as hardware controls.

For some games yes. For other games, meh. Care to play Fruit Ninja with hardware controls? That said, I'd really like to see a standardized game controller for iOS.

Quote:

Ever heard of a game called Super Meat Boy (if you're a fan of platformers, I'd HIGHLY recommend it)? The developers have specifically stated that they won't develop it for mobile devices because it doesn't belong. The game is crushingly difficult on certain levels and touchscreen controls would make the game impossible. There are A LOT of developers who don't develop for iOS because their games simply wouldn't be possible on it.

Or perhaps moving from a $49.99 price point to a $4.99 price point is a higher barrier.

Quote:

Really? Because last time I checked the 3DS has been selling at a rate better than any gaming device EVER since the price drop. The DS made Apple sales look small worldwide* and the 3DS is currently outpacing it.

Funny...I remember Sony fans saying the same thing about the PS3...sales were higher for the PS3 than the PS2 after launch.

As far as numbers go iOS vs Nintendo:

http://www.asymco.com/2011/11/16/the...rtable-device/

Quote:

You clearly have absolutely no idea how the video game industry works, and it's people like you that give the idiot analysts the ideas that iOS is competing with Nintendo.

I suggest looking at that chart again and also the statistic that nintendo and sony mobile game revenue share has been in decline. In 2009 Nintendo had 70% portable game revenue share. In 2010 the number was 57% share and the estimate for 2011 was as low as 36%.

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/201...intendo-sonys/

Quote:

THEY AREN'T . If anything, iOS is only broadening the gaming market (similar to what Nintendo did with the Wii and DS). iOS games are great for a few minutes of entertainment but are very rarely good for long periods of extended play time, have a huge lack in terms of graphical abilities, and can't touch the Big 3's online capabilities.

Bullshit. You haven't watched my kids playing the iPad for hours. And no, it's not Angry Birds but FPS like Rainbow Six and NOVA. And those are older FPS titles on iOS. I've personally spent hours flying cross country playing Civ Revolutions on the iPad.

I grew up with Zelda and nintendo. The first one. My kids never will. I'm not shelling out $50 for a game anymore and I want their eyes to work right when they're older. $4.99/$6.99 for most good titles and $9.99 for AAA iOS titles is hell of a lot better than even Gamestop used game prices.

Besides Apple isn't putting in faster and faster GPUs in the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 for the sake of Angry Bird type games.

And lets be honest here. If I'm looking for hardcore games I'm getting a Vita and not a 3DS anyway. A nintendo fan putting on hardcore airs in comparison to iOS gamers is just humorous. Both iOS and Nintendo are casual gaming fare. Especially given there are going to be far more hardcore titles for the iPad vs 3DS anyway. On the console side it's 360 or PS3.

Although, with Airplay the iPad looks pretty decent. Just limited without hardware controls. Nothing a couple bluetooth controllers can't fix if Apple supports them in the API.

My prediction is that the WiiU will not sell in Wii numbers.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Again, how does having a logo on the phone change its functionality and usability?

Quote:

Now you are starting to get stupid, t-mobile are added as it is a t-mobile model, just like AT&T is being added to the at&t model, if you don't want the logo buy the unbranded model, it is available. Also, may I ask what type of sandpaper you used to scratch the Apple logo off all your products? Or the brand name of any of your products?

Quote:

Actually, you have made it quite clear that you don't like Nokia phones, as the logo isn't an issue, you can purchase an unbranded model so you have no argument, those companies are subsidising the cost of the phone for you, they wanted their logo on it, Nokia agreed, so what? When I make a call, or watch a movie on my phone I look at the screen, I don't look at the logo on it, I look at the screen
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

For some games yes. For other games, meh. Care to play Fruit Ninja with hardware controls? That said, I'd really like to see a standardized game controller for iOS.

Or perhaps moving from a $49.99 price point to a $4.99 price point is a higher barrier.

Funny...I remember Sony fans saying the same thing about the PS3...sales were higher for the PS3 than the PS2 after launch.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/11/16/the...rtable-device/

I suggest looking at that chart again and also the statistic that nintendo and sony mobile game revenue share has been in decline. In 2009 Nintendo had 70% portable game revenue share. In 2010 the number was 57% share and the estimate for 2011 was as low as 36%.

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/201...intendo-sonys/

Bullshit. You haven't watched my kids playing the iPad for hours. And no, it's not Angry Birds but FPS like Rainbow Six and NOVA. And those are older FPS titles on iOS. I've personally spent hours flying cross country playing Civ Revolutions on the iPad.

I grew up with Zelda and nintendo. The first one. My kids never will. I'm not shelling out $50 for a game anymore and I want their eyes to work right when they're older. $4.99/$6.99 for most good titles and $9.99 for AAA iOS titles is hell of a lot better than even Gamestop used game prices.

Besides Apple isn't putting in faster and faster GPUs in the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 for the sake of Angry Bird type games.

And lets be honest here. If I'm looking for hardcore games I'm getting a Vita and not a 3DS anyway. A nintendo fan putting on hardcore airs in comparison to iOS gamers is just humorous. Both iOS and Nintendo are casual gaming fare. Especially given there are going to be far more hardcore titles for the iPad vs 3DS anyway. On the console side it's 360 or PS3.

Although, with Airplay the iPad looks pretty decent. Just limited without hardware controls. Nothing a couple bluetooth controllers can't fix if Apple supports them in the API.

My prediction is that the WiiU will not sell in Wii numbers.

nht, I'm not sure how to do the multiquote thing you did (...so jealous) so bare with me for this horribly butchered attempt.

The difference here being you can't sell a system with Fruit Ninja. A lot of games that are touch based (not all) are simply time wasters (because that's the audience a lot of iOS/Android developers are aiming at). The fact of the matter is games that are popular now (FPS, platforming, fighting, etc) are all FAR superior on hardware controls. While I understand that certain games developed explicitly FOR iOS will have better controls with touch, you really can't argue that for 99% of games function better with hardware controls (take into account that a mouse/keyboard also counts as hardware).

I'm going to be completely honest, I can't discern much from that graph (I'm colorblind ). That being said, I can see that the legend shows "Number of hardware units sold". Are you really going to compare a Phone sale that has gaming capabilities to a dedicated gaming platform? By that logic my Macbook Pro should be counted against my TV since they both have access to Netflix.

I love when pie charts use vastly different colors This again doesn't take into account the fact that iOS has probably twice as many devices out as the Nintendo DS. Add that to the fact that iOS apps make 100% profit when they're sold (it costs nothing to distribute the software) and this makes complete sense.

And you haven't seen the giant LAN parties that people have here playing Mario Kart for the 3DS for DAYS on end (it's actually borderline disturbing). I don't doubt that those games can occupy your kids for hours, I'm saying if the vast majority of people were told they had to sit in a room for 3 hours and play a game, most would pick up a PSP/3DS before they picked up a smartphone.

grew up with Zelda and nintendo. The first one. My kids never will. I'm not shelling out $50 for a game anymore and I want their eyes to work right when they're older. $4.99/$6.99 for most good titles and $9.99 for AAA iOS titles is hell of a lot better than even Gamestop used game prices.

I'm not exactly a Nintendo fan (although I definitely love a lot of their games). I own far more non-Nintendo products than not, but as someone who's grown up with family IN the industry, I have a pretty good feel for how the video game industry works. It was obvious that the PSP would flop (and I expect the Vita to only do marginally better). I think the Wii U will be mediocre at best, but with Super Smash Bros coming out on the 3DS I can easily see it smashing sales records. Super Smash Bros sells systems. Period. Combine the most popular video gaming company, one of the most popular series' of all time, and a portable device and you have license to print money

But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Since when has Nintendo been a competitor of Apple?

Nintendo makes dedicated games machines. Apple doesn’t; they make products that you can (sort of) play games on, but that certainly isn’t its primary function.

This forum is funny.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomper_Uk View Post

Since when has Nintendo been a competitor of Apple?

Since Apple made a handheld game machine.

Quote:

Nintendo makes dedicated games machines. Apple doesn?t; they make products that you can (sort of) play games on, but that certainly isn?t its primary function.

And yet it's one of the largest functions of the device, was PITCHED BY APPLE as being one of the primary functions of the device, and has visibly shown its effect on other devices in that category.

Quote:

This forum is funny.

Indeed, its users aren't fans of reading.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since Apple made a handheld game machine.

And yet it's one of the largest functions of the device, was PITCHED BY APPLE as being one of the primary functions of the device, and has visibly shown its effect on other devices in that category.

Indeed, its users aren't fans of reading.

I love my iPhone, but never consider it a true gaming device. It's okay for a blast on Angry Birds whilst I'm having a poo, but you are hard pressed to match the sort of content you can get on 3DS, and the forthcoming VITA (which I have on pre-order)

And as has been mentioned before... Touch screens suck for many genres of games.