Tim Cook calls assault on Apple's ethics in China "patently false and offensive"

Comments

• Reply 121 of 181
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple's high margin has nothing to do with this.

Of course it does. Apple achieves high margins by lowering the cost of manufacturing and forcing their manufacturers to accept impossibly low margins. (Walmart frequently does the same.) That forces the manufacturers to obtain the lowest-priced labor pool they can possible obtain and that forces the workers into poor conditions. It's very easy for Apple or any other such company to say, "well, they're not our workers and the manufacturer accepted the contract," but IMO, that's not good enough.

While it's not slave labor per se (the workers (or at least most of the workers) decided they wanted to work there), it's akin to the green grape pickers of the 1970s who also worked under abysmal conditions.

If the workers are actually treated well, as another poster above maintains, then I think Apple needs to do the appropriate communications to prove that.

Apple's products are luxury items that are marketed to people who have money. I'm not maintaining that the Chinese factory workers need to be treated to the same standards as western workers, since the standard of living is different. But they need to be treated with a minimum of decency - one that doesn't make us cringe at their condition.
  • Reply 122 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

If I actually knew what you were babbeling on about I may be able to answer this.

If I'm babbling then you must be babbling because you are the one talking about hurt feelings.

So I had to ask if you ever had hurt feelings when reading this board but you decided to evade the question.

The conclusion being that I thought it a silly notion. The idea that someone has the power to hurt someone's feelings on a community forum seems absurd to me. The idea that someone actually believes they have the power to hurt someone's feeling on a community forum seems even more absurd to me, to the point of being absolutely ridiculous.
  • Reply 123 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Of course it does. Apple achieves high margins by lowering the cost of manufacturing and forcing their manufacturers to accept impossibly low margins. (Walmart frequently does the same.) That forces the manufacturers to obtain the lowest-priced labor pool they can possible obtain and that forces the workers into poor conditions. It's very easy for Apple or any other such company to say, "well, they're not our workers and the manufacturer accepted the contract," but IMO, that's not good enough.

While it's not slave labor per se (the workers (or at least most of the workers) decided they wanted to work there), it's akin to the green grape pickers of the 1970s who also worked under abysmal conditions.

If the workers are actually treated well, as another poster above maintains, then I think Apple needs to do the appropriate communications to prove that.

Apple's products are luxury items that are marketed to people who have money. I'm not maintaining that the Chinese factory workers need to be treated to the same standards as western workers, since the standard of living is different. But they need to be treated with a minimum of decency - one that doesn't make us cringe at their condition.

Also keep in mind Chinese factories are not subjected to the same strict environmental standards as many of US and other companies are. Because they do not have to spend millions and millions a year to maintain this standard they can manufacture even cheaper, pushing up Apple's margins even further.
  • Reply 124 of 181
    Quote:

If I'm babbling then you must be babbling because you are the one talking about hurt feelings.

So I had to ask if you ever had hurt feelings when reading this board but you decided to evade the question.

The conclusion being that I thought it a silly notion. The idea that someone has the power to hurt someone's feelings on a community forum seems absurd to me. The idea that someone actually believes they have the power to hurt someone's feeling on a community forum seems even more absurd to me, to the point of being absolutely ridiculous.

Let me start a "I am glad Steve Jobs is dead" thread and you will see.
  • Reply 125 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

What!!???

How many tech manufacturers use Chinese labour to manufacture their goods. By the sounds of it some of them pay even less than the manufacturer of Apple products and also have worse conditions. They all have the same opportunity as Apple.

Apple's high margins are maintained by the quality of its goods and by the willingness of consumers to pay more (although paying more isn't such an issue these days).

Apple's high margins also come from its ability to buy huge stores of parts.

If every manufacturer, including Apple, was made to pay higher wages and to have better working conditions do you really think Apple's margins would change? did those margins change in the 80s and early 90s when Apple manufactured its products in the USA?
  • Reply 126 of 181
    Quote:

Let me start a "I am glad Steve Jobs is dead" thread and you will see.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the term "hurt feelings".

Hatred and anger are different emotions entirely.
  • Reply 127 of 181
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Every now and then someone posts something that gves you a glimpse into their psyche. Hellacool's last comment gives us a glimpse into why we will never be able to understand his skewed points of view.
  • Reply 128 of 181
    Quote:

Emotions are emotions AKA feelings. If someone can easily be spun up based on forum comments they lead a sad life.
  • Reply 129 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Every now and then someone posts something that gves you a glimpse into their psyche. Hellacool's last comment gives us a glimpse into why we will never be able to understand his skewed points of view.

He sounds almost exactly like another poster who showed little or no empathy towards others and at the same time seemed not to be able to differentiate between the various emotions shown by humans.

Oddly enough we were discussing the plight of another race at that time as well.
  • Reply 130 of 181
    Quote:

I will take that as a compliment, status quo is not in my vocabulary. Band wagon jumping is for the weak.
  • Reply 131 of 181
    Quote:

He sounds almost exactly like another poster who showed little or no empathy towards others and at the same time seemed not to be able to differentiate between the various emotions shown by humans.

Oddly enough we were discussing the plight of another race at that time as well.

At least I understand that the term feelings is a generic term for emotions. And my point still stands, the majority of posters here are showing feelings and empathy to Apple, a corporation and nothing to actual humans.
  • Reply 132 of 181
    Quote:

Emotions are emotions AKA feelings. If someone can easily be spun up based on forum comments they lead a sad life.

You seem to be getting a little spun up yourself... why the upper case aka...
  • Reply 133 of 181
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

I was just listening to "Science Friday" on NPR, a segment on wolf to dog evolution, and the scientist said that "dogs domesticated themselves" by hanging out with humans.

If only humans could domesticate themselves . . .
  • Reply 134 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I was just listening to "Science Friday" on NPR, a segment on wolf to dog evolution, and the scientist said that "dogs domesticated themselves" by hanging out with humans.

If only humans could domesticate themselves . . .

Thats easy, all you need are some iProducts, total disregard for anyone but yourself and worship the ground Steve Jobs walked on and you will then be considered domesticated. Slap on the collar and submit.
  • Reply 135 of 181
    Quote:

At least I understand that the term feelings is a generic term for emotions. And my point still stands, the majority of posters here are showing feelings and empathy to Apple, a corporation and nothing to actual humans.

Yes it is but hurt is a different emotion/feeling than anger and hatred. The differences seem to be a foreign concept to you.

Hmmmm... now it's changed just to feelings... not hurt feelings...

... and I don't see a majority of people showing feelings and empathy to Apple, a corporation and nothing to actual humans. To the contrary I see very few, if any.

... and now back to regular programming.
  • Reply 136 of 181
    Quote:

You seem to be getting a little spun up yourself... why the upper case aka...

It is an acronym, usually spelled with capitol letters to demonstrate that, helps the slow people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aka
  • Reply 137 of 181
    Quote:

It is an acronym, usually spelled with capitol letters to demonstrate that, helps the slow people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aka

Yes, upper case if it's an acronym for the American Killfish Association.
  • Reply 138 of 181
    Quote:

Yes it is but hurt is a different emotion/feeling than anger and hatred. The differences seem to be a foreign concept to you.

Something which you also seem to fail to understand.

... and now back to regular programming.

I simply said hurt feelings, you tried to make it something else, failure seems not to be a foreign concept to you. Instead of actually having something useful to say, you attempt to take a simple concept, over analyze it, spell it out in nausea, regurgitate it back out in terms you can understand then attempt to show how smart you are. Do you pat yourself on the back often?
  • Reply 139 of 181
    Quote:

I simply said hurt feelings, you tried to make it something else, failure seems not to be a foreign concept to you. Instead of actually having something useful to say, you attempt to take a simple concept, over analyze it, spell it out in nausea, regurgitate it back out in terms you can understand then attempt to show how smart you are. Do you pat yourself on the back often?

Pot kettle, pal.
  • Reply 140 of 181
    Quote:

Yes, upper case if it's an acronym for the American Killfish Association.

We established you can read, step one complete.