EFF working to keep iPhone, iPad 'jailbreaking' legal in US

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeejay21 View Post

Wasn't there one hacker that said jailbreaking is not recommendable because it also breaks security? That same guy is the one who hacked Safari under two minutes during Pwn2Own contest years ago...

I rather listen to him since he knows much about hacking & tech stuffs.

Jailbreaking for unsophisticated users is contraindicated. You simply have to change the root password to re-secure your device. But, if figuring that out worries you, you are not a good candidate for a jailbreak.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

As long as hacking the PS3 (firmware hack), PSP (firmware hack), Xbox 360 (drive firmware hack), Nintendo DS (cartridge hack) all remain illegal then jail breaking iOS should, by those standards be illegal.

Direct comparisons can be made between the PS3 hack which allows the end user to reinstate the other OS features and run unsigned code.

i'm sorry, but I have to ask for some reference for your assertion that JB on PS3 is illegal. I don't believe anyone has or could be arrested or sued for that.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

i'm sorry, but I have to ask for some reference for your assertion that JB on PS3 is illegal. I don't believe anyone has or could be arrested or sued for that.

Really? You didn't hear about the whole geohot thing?
  • Reply 24 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Buying knives should be illegal. They can be used to kill people. If I used my butter knife to kill someone, the act of buying the butter knife at Ikea months ago becomes illegal.

I could use a shoe string to suffocate people too. Or my bare hands. Killing is illegal - no matter what items you use.

Jailbreaking has proven more as something that's abusive & has no moderation whatsoever. What happens if you install a safe-looking non-Apple authorized app that somehow got access to your bank accounts or at least your Apple account and use it for malicious purposes? There's no telling because there is no control and people are very nervous about their online safety especially as of late, news of people's accounts getting hacked are cropping up.

Quote:

Jailbreaking for unsophisticated users is contraindicated. You simply have to change the root password to re-secure your device. But, if figuring that out worries you, you are not a good candidate for a jailbreak.

Still too much work. I don't want a Windows-like experience if I'm going to use a smartphone or tablet. I got other much important work to do.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Sorry, but that graphic is hilarious. "Software locks hurt everyone" - no, software locks keep a lot of people from messing up their devices. Software locks prevent their devices from being hacked.

I don't have a problem with anyone jailbreaking their own devices, but to suggest that everything be wide open for everyone will just turn iOS into another tech support and security nightmare. Apple doen't curate the App Store and lock down iOS to be mean. They do it because it results in a better user experience for the majority of their customers.

software locks are important, look at MS Windows. lots and lots of idiots are infected and don't even know it. Apple is smart and knows the vast majority of users are dumb and need to be locked out. they got ios locked down and now are close to os x.

Apple is an appliance company.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:

I got other much important work to do.

like wasting time on this forum eh?
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

like wasting time on this forum eh?

I'm interested especially when someone mentioned CFW on PS3/PSP.

It's like when you heard someone talking and you're interested, you kinda want to be involved, y'know? It doesn't require tech-know-how to talk, does it?
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? You didn't hear about the whole geohot thing?

Yes, I did, so I guess I should have not included "sued". However since George didn't pursue the lawsuit we still don't know if game consoles are legally treated differently than mobile devices, so I don't feel comfortable using that as the standard to judge whether phone jail breaking should be done or not.

I had jailbroken devices for a while, but the frustration of waiting for then next break after a patch was more than the value of having the few extra features I got.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    I know I've posted this before, but please forgive me.

Whether legal or illegal, jailbreaking your phone is immoral. You agreed to a EULA, then broke your word. You're just morally wrong to jailbreak your phone.

Sorry for the rant.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:

I could use a shoe string to suffocate people too. Or my bare hands. Killing is illegal - no matter what items you use.

Jailbreaking has proven more as something that's abusive & has no moderation whatsoever. What happens if you install a safe-looking non-Apple authorized app that somehow got access to your bank accounts or at least your Apple account and use it for malicious purposes? There's no telling because there is no control and people are very nervous about their online safety especially as of late, news of people's accounts getting hacked are cropping up.

Still too much work. I don't want a Windows-like experience if I'm going to use a smartphone or tablet. I got other much important work to do.

Glad you made everyone who is saying jailbreaking should be legals' point for them.

Jailbreaking should be legal, pirating or doing something harmful should be illegal. Just like guns, knives, shoestrings, or your bare hands. All legal. Know if you rob someone or kill someone with them, THAT is illegal.

And the government should NOT be protecting people from hurting their own devices. If you buy it, tinker with it, and brick it then it is your own fault. That is not something someone should regulate. If so, then the government should be telling people they can't put nitrous on their cars, because I've seen a LOT of heads blown because of poor work. Heck, according to some of you we shouldn't be allowed to do anything with our computers. Want to adjust your settings in mozilla? Sorry, you can't because you might mess something up. Want to overclock your processor? Can't, you might brick your computer.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Jailbreaking is not a crime. Great motto. I'd be very much interested to know what percent of people *don't* use jail breaking to enable theft of apps.

It's like electronic keys. There's a few legit uses for them. But most uses are nefarious.

I would imagine a large percentage of jailbreakers do so to enable the phone to work on T-Mobile's network.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I know I've posted this before, but please forgive me.

Whether legal or illegal, jailbreaking your phone is immoral. You agreed to a EULA, then broke your word. You're just morally wrong to jailbreak your phone.

Sorry for the rant.

So you never speed, jaywalk, curse, or anything like that?

Morally wrong? Thanks for the laugh.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

You can do whatever you want with a device that you bought with your own money. No manufacturer has the right to say anything about it. They will only state that you lost your warranty and have a nice day.

However, if you intend to profit from the act of "jailbreaking" or use it with malicious intent, then that moves you into the "illegal" realm.

Well, as it involves software code and the modification of such, it technically violates copyright laws, which means the copyright holder CAN say something about. Which is why exemptions are granted, so as to promote the spirit that you can do whatever you want (within the bounds of the legal system) to a device you own.

The exemption is only valid if you don't violate the copyright for an illegal or malicious purpose.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

And the government should NOT be protecting people from hurting their own devices. If you buy it, tinker with it, and brick it then it is your own fault. That is not something someone should regulate. If so, then the government should be telling people they can't put nitrous on their cars, because I've seen a LOT of heads blown because of poor work. Heck, according to some of you we shouldn't be allowed to do anything with our computers. Want to adjust your settings in mozilla? Sorry, you can't because you might mess something up. Want to overclock your processor? Can't, you might brick your computer.

The argument isn't that the government should prevent people from tinkering with their own devices; it's that it makes sense for Apple to lock down the device so the average user doesn't experience problems.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Well, as it involves software code and the modification of such, it technically violates copyright laws, which means the copyright holder CAN say something about. Which is why exemptions are granted, so as to promote the spirit that you can do whatever you want (within the bounds of the legal system) to a device you own.

The exemption is only valid if you don't violate the copyright for an illegal or malicious purpose.

violates how? You paid for the code and are keeping it for yourself. It is only a copyright violation if you then resell or profit off that tinkering of the code.

If I want to change the code on my phone to make it an "Airnerd 4S" instead of and Apple 4S, I can do that and apple shouldn't be able to do a darn thing about it. Now if I turn around and sell my Airnerd 4S as a new product, then Apple has every right to take action. But as long as it is mine, I can customize it in any way I like. It is mine.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The argument isn't that the government should prevent people from tinkering with their own devices; it's that it makes sense for Apple to lock down the device so the average user doesn't experience problems.

And Apple has done that, to protect the average user. My issue is when it becomes illegal for the "non average" user to do what they want with their phone.

I have no problem with Apple making it dummy proof. I have a problem with someone saying "thanks for you money, now let me tell you what you can/can't do with this item that is legally 100% yours now".
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:

And Apple has done that, to protect the average user. My issue is when it becomes illegal for the "non average" user to do what they want with their phone.

I have no problem with Apple making it dummy proof. I have a problem with someone saying "thanks for you money, now let me tell you what you can/can't do with this item that is legally 100% yours now".

Unfortunately, you haven't ever purchased software unless you hired a programmer. You only licensed it. And as such the license holder has rights to control or revoke it. It seems like it should be owned, but it isn't. Just like you never own a movie or music you only are granted rights to play it. But should you try to distribute it you are in trouble.

Now I agree that for personal use people ought to be able to do what they like with licensed materials and that usually has been supported in court cases, but there is a subtle distinction between what you do with your phone (which you own) and what you do with the software on that phone (which you only license).
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:

Unfortunately, you haven't ever purchased software unless you hired a programmer. You only licensed it. And as such the license holder has rights to control or revoke it. It seems like it should be owned, but it isn't. Just like you never own a movie or music you only are granted rights to play it. But should you try to distribute it you are in trouble.

Now I agree that for personal use people ought to be able to do what they like with licensed materials and that usually has been supported in court cases, but there is a subtle distinction between what you do with your phone (which you own) and what you do with the software on that phone (which you only license).

That makes sense.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:

Jailbreaking should be legal, pirating or doing something harmful should be illegal. Just like guns, knives, shoestrings, or your bare hands. All legal. Know if you rob someone or kill someone with them, THAT is illegal.

You're not making any sense.

Jailbreaking should be legal whereas malicious apps and/or pirating is illegal? Where are you gonna put pirated apps on if not on jailbreak devices? As for robbing or killing, which body part got cuffed when you got arrested? Your hands. And your feet if you start kicking. And your mouth too if you start making threats.

What an irresponsible comment. So the government should NOT be responsible for suicides and killings, is that what you're saying? Then we need not police and soldiers to keep us safe from bad, irresponsible people because it's our fault that we let these bad things happened and let those bad people roam free.

Does a lot of people put nitrous in their cars? If so, there'll be many nitro-equipped cars in the streets now and besides, you just touched on modified cars - one that I'm also interested in. You know that street racing, mostly with modified, nitrous equipped cars, without proper safety and management leads to accidents and other problems, right? That made it illegal because it endangers lives. And, from where I lived, modifying cars IS illegal because most of them are used in illegal street racing.

We're not talking about desktop OS where it's allowed to be tweaked (but not sold, in OSX and Windows case), we're talking about mobile OS and console OS. This is a new generation, not the old one. Console makers, such as Sony and Microsoft, has a firm stand on this jailbreak issue and has legal support - why can't Apple have one?
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:

Jailbreaking should be legal whereas malicious apps and/or pirating is illegal? Where are you gonna put pirated apps on if not on jailbreak devices?

All pirates are jailbreakers but not all jailbreakers are pirates.

The scales of that statement aren't nearly as balanced as they used to be.