EFF working to keep iPhone, iPad 'jailbreaking' legal in US

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

Using the volume button to snap a picture.

As the story goes, that was originally in a legitimate app, I believe.

Quote:

And the entire notification center.

As the story goes, that was originally in Android. Additionally, there's absolutely no way that anyone can say a feature 'wouldn't have been added without the jailbreak community', because they just don't know that.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You trust the TELECOMS more than Apple.

The TELECOMS.

?

Actually it is apple. The iPhone is not locked the way normal phones are. Normal phones have a lock on them on a very basic level of the ROM. iPhones, have the lock fully baked into the OS. I seen a Gentleman purchase an Unlocked iPhone 4 in Canada a few months back. He updated it in America. iTunes read the phone as a US, GSM iPhone 4 (at the time meant ATT iPhone). After he updated his phone was locked to AT&T. The very software it placed on his phone is what locked it to ATT.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

That's rubbish, here in Australia you can legally unlock an iPhone as soon as you buy it (well it takes a couple of days for Apple to update their database and requires a restore), all it requires is a phonecall or entering your IMEI on a carriers website.

We also sell them outright as PAYG.

You can get your iphones unlocked here in the UK too. Oh, and we can buy them from an Apple store without a lock in the first place too so we can just put a PAYG sim in (which is what I do).
  • Reply 64 of 68
    I wish Apple would just brick every jailbroken device. I guess even if they could they wouldn't because of the reaction, but hey I can dream.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Actually it is apple. The iPhone is not locked the way normal phones are. Normal phones have a lock on them on a very basic level of the ROM. iPhones, have the lock fully baked into the OS. I seen a Gentleman purchase an Unlocked iPhone 4 in Canada a few months back. He updated it in America. iTunes read the phone as a US, GSM iPhone 4 (at the time meant ATT iPhone). After he updated his phone was locked to AT&T. The very software it placed on his phone is what locked it to ATT.

Updated it in the US after? having put in an AT&T SIM? After having connected to AT&T? After doing a carrier update internationally?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

I wish Apple would just brick every jailbroken device. I guess even if they could they wouldn't because of the reaction, but hey I can dream.

No, that's incredibly silly. I'm against piracy 100%, but bricking devices is a stupid idea, particularly when piracy is not the ONLY use of jailbreaking and when Apple has absolutely no legal jurisdiction to do that sort of thing.

It happened by circumstance in? iPhone OS 1.1.1, I believe, after the first true jailbreak in 1.0.2 was patched, but since then, no.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Jailbreaking should absolutely be kept legal. You bought the thing, and it's nobody's business, not even Apple's, what you do with it. If you want to install Flash on it or make it run Android, that's your business too. Apple doesn't own your iPhone, you do.

Except you only license the software. You don't own it. You have no right to modify it.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Except you only license the software. You don't own it. You have no right to modify it.

its all just friggin stupid. you can modify your automobile without fear of being a criminal. You may void your warranty but that is another thing. automotive companies tried to play the 'void your warranty' if you don't use authorized Ford (for example) dealership to have your oil changed. didn't pan out.

if what apple is trying to do was applied all around to every product with some IP, Patents, 'License' then you would hear all of these toadies who are just backing Apple cuz its Apple whining about it.

apple is headed into the 'you can't do anything to modify 'our' stuff'. they might let you change a wallpaper if your lucky but that will be about it. This is an old stance and the very reason Stallman started Free Software and the GPL. Free as in Freedom.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

you can modify your automobile without fear of being a criminal.

Not some parts, and not in some ways.

Quote:

apple is headed into the 'you can't do anything to modify 'our' stuff'.

Headed? That's where they've always been. That's why the Macintosh 128k was an all-in-one. That's why the Mac Mini is a single piece of aluminum.

What is upgradable now in Macs is virtually everything that needs to be. You forget for whom Apple makes computers and devices, really. 95% of the population couldn't care less about how it works or how to fix the inside. For the rest of us, if we want to know and want to do, we can and do.