Foxconn to build 5 new Brazilian factories to help make Apple products [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I don't want to criticize Apple too much because they are expanding the number of employees in the U.S. and most of the jobs are well-paying jobs. Even the retail jobs, which don't pay all that well,

IIRC, the (vast?) majority of jobs at Apple are PBTC jobs at Apple stores. My guess is that they pay wages which do not allow employees to become middle class.

Edit:

Apple's latest filing shows the company had about 60,400 full-time employees and 2,900 temporary and contract workers. About two-thirds of those jobs are in the United States.

And most of those Apple employees are not high-paid engineering or manufacturing jobs -- 36,000 are in company's retail division.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/25/tech...source=cnn_bin
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

One of the great ironies of the 21st century is that most of our marvelous hi-tech toys are made entirely by hand, in sweatshops, by desperate people whose pitiful wages can't purchase even one of the hugely profitable devices they make.

If you don't feel dirty, you aren't paying attention.

Perhaps it's just a small difference, but these products are assembled by hand, not made by hand. The components themselves are typically made by robots.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was thinking she looked like there was more than Sprite in that bottle

LOL, in that case I hope she builds someone else's iPad 3.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The french only work 35 hours a week. So are we then slave labor if we compare ourselves to the French? Wages depend of cost of living. If we compare the salaries in NYC to those in Tokepa, is that slave labor in KS?
  • Reply 25 of 81
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    This is unrelated to this topic, but I keep earnings rumors of an Apple Super bowl ad that will announce the new Apple TV.

anyone has any news or leaks on this?

I have many AAPL LEAPS going on but I wont take any chance and load up FEB calls on friday just in case.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    The only earnings rumor I heard was that aple made a **** load of money.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This is unrelated to this topic, but I keep earnings rumors of an Apple Super bowl ad that will announce the new Apple TV.

anyone has any news or leaks on this?

Apple? Announce a product with a commercial? That's not how they roll.

I've heard of a new Samsung Super Bowl ad that will show us just how much using Apple is like 1984 is, though.

Looking forward to it. At least that idea sounds original.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    They should build one in every right to work state and only hire workers that never were associated with a union. I can't believe that Brazil is turning out more engineers and tech works than us.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

. it is estimated that 14 percent of all children between 10 and 13 work.

I don't get the issue with children working as such. The fortunate few in the so called "west" seem quite enraged by it. Curious thing that, I suppose they want the children to die, or perhaps be picked up by a pimp for sale.

Children working has always been the way, it is only a recent perversion of the "west" that children should sit around screaming out their wants, to be waited on and then end up kinda useless when they pretend to step out on their own, like to the mail box.

Now...

If the actual issue is "fair pay for fair work" (based on local cost of living vs hourly rate) then sure, but that has nothing to do with children and nothing to do with china or brazil exploiting people.

Cause in the glorious "west" people are under paid as well and exploited regardless of doing equal work based on age, how much was spent on their papers, time at employer. Worse, children are prevented from working and put at risk by being blocked from money in a society that makes it difficult to eat or sleep without it.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple? Announce a product with a commercial? That's not how they roll.

I've heard of a new Samsung Super Bowl ad that will show us just how much using Apple is like 1984 is, though.

Looking forward to it. At least that idea sounds original.

Yep I heard about the Samsung ad, but Apple did announce the Mac with an ad at the superbowl.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:

Yep I heard about the Samsung ad, but Apple did announce the Mac with an ad at the superbowl.

I remember them talking about it earlier. Could have sworn I saw an old keynote where they mention the Macintosh and how they have an ad for it coming up?

At any rate, that's meaningless. Apple since 1996 is all that matters, and there hasn't been a commercial announcement since then.

Why would that make any sense, anyway?
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Quote:

I remember them talking about it earlier. Could have sworn I saw an old keynote where they mention the Macintosh and how they have an ad for it coming up…

At any rate, that's meaningless. Apple since 1996 is all that matters, and there hasn't been a commercial announcement since then.

Why would that make any sense, anyway?

Well, its only a rumor that pops up in financial forums. I will still play it with options just in case. Same goes for the shareholder meeting on FEB23, I will load up before the event in case they announce a dividend.

Apple is acting wierd this week, market have been going down and AAPL is still rising even after the big pop after earnings. Everyone is expecting a correction that never comes. Market Makers are fighting the rise and are trying to bring the stock down but they are losing. When the stock manipulators are losing something is going on. Large amound of cash is flowing into Apple. Its like the MM's are being played by a bigger player. Pretty scary stuff imo.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The french only work 35 hours a week. So are we then slave labor if we compare ourselves to the French? Wages depend of cost of living. If we compare the salaries in NYC to those in Tokepa, is that slave labor in KS?

From what I have heard, there's plenty of slave labor in NYC. And consider that a minimum wage job in NYC would not pay even for a small apartment, much less a family.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Perhaps this sentence would be more accurate if you said "The french only work 35 hours a week - BY LAW". They are not allowed to work more than 35 hours in a week. You're not allowed to work harder than your competitor.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

I don't get the issue with children working as such. The fortunate few in the so called "west" seem quite enraged by it. Curious thing that, I suppose they want the children to die, or perhaps be picked up by a pimp for sale.

Children working has always been the way, it is only a recent perversion of the "west" that children should sit around screaming out their wants, to be waited on and then end up kinda useless when they pretend to step out on their own, like to the mail box.

Now...

If the actual issue is "fair pay for fair work" (based on local cost of living vs hourly rate) then sure, but that has nothing to do with children and nothing to do with china or brazil exploiting people.

Cause in the glorious "west" people are under paid as well and exploited regardless of doing equal work based on age, how much was spent on their papers, time at employer. Worse, children are prevented from working and put at risk by being blocked from money in a society that makes it difficult to eat or sleep without it.

Not to downplay your point, but what's the difference between enraged and outraged?
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macclone View Post

They should build one in every right to work state and only hire workers that never were associated with a union. I can't believe that Brazil is turning out more engineers and tech works than us.

If apple can ask Foxconn to build in brazil, they can ask Foxconn to build in the USA. Our supply chain is not inferior.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

At this rate Foxcon will soon buy Apple

Foxconn doesn't have the market cap or profit Apple has. They eat Apple in employees and revenue but Apple will increase their profit and valuation mug faster than Foxconn if Foxconn is building to support Apple's growth.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drax7 View Post

If apple can ask Foxconn to build in brazil, they can ask Foxconn to build in the USA. Our supply chain is not inferior.

The US is superior... in wage expectations.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:

Well, its only a rumor that pops up in financial forums.

Ah, that's your problem: listening to THEM.

When the REAL rumor sites (us, 9to5, etc.) haven't even heard of that, you know it's nonsense.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:

Ah, that's your problem: listening to THEM.

When the REAL rumor sites (us, 9to5, etc.) haven't even heard of that, you know it's nonsense.

yep that is what I think too. I guess we will see this weekend. But if the MM's cant bring apple down by friday they will lose a truck load of money. All my position are in, I have protective puts in FEB and longs in JULY, so whatever happens I am covered. Still pretty interesting week.