Rumor: Apple to hold 'strange' event in Feb. ahead of March third-gen iPad launch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    New Mac Pro X running iOS X
  • Reply 82 of 103
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JQPURDUE View Post

The event will be a tribute to Steve Jobs on his Birthday which is February 24th.

Agreed. Unlike Steve's tragic "death day", Apple can celebrate his birthday every year with a special event (seminar, award for innovation, etc.).
  • Reply 83 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Apple might announce that it has developed a breast implant that can store and play music. The iTit will cost from $499 to $699, depending on cup and speaker size. This is considered a major social breakthrough ... because women are always complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them.

iTit?
  • Reply 84 of 103
    Quote:

The event will be a tribute to Steve Jobs on his Birthday which is February 24th.

My guess is that Steve's birthday will pass with nary a press release from Apple PR.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks, that seems a far better nuance.

A new product isn't unusual to me, unless it is indeed a product Apple wouldn't nornally produce (Car radios / navigation for example). 'Unusual' would mean to me not 'how Steve might have done it' ... so perhaps a new Tim Cook-esque event? If that were true then it opens up a plethora of possibilities ranging from a stock split to a one time dividend or maybe a major acquisition (Apple usually buy small companies) such as the company Apple helped get started, ARM. I doubt the latter since we would have heard a leak by now.

I think you've got it. Unusual as in, Cookified. There's a new head guy in Cupertino. For the most part, we've yet to see how he does it.
  • Reply 86 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Quote:

PowerBook G5

In black plastic case?

With matte screen?
  • Reply 87 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednaxela View Post

Good point there. The original blogpost's title actually says, "Special product event to be in the first part of March, not in February," which I neglected to include before. It's not clear what exactly is this unusual thing that is happening with February, though I agree it seems possible there may end up being no special event at all. That being said, he seems to indicate that SOMETHING is happening in February, though what this unusual thing is, remains entirely unclear.

I think the title pretty much confirms what I said.

I don't see anything in your translation that suggests that there will be two events. It very much reads like his original blog saying that there would be a Feb event was wrong because that would be unusual for Apple and that it will be in March, instead.
  • Reply 88 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ha!

Nice phrasing.

OT: I just bought Avid Studio for the iPad, $4.99 -- an alternative to iMovie for iPad.

It looks pretty good, and I think I like it better than iMovie for iPad/iPhone -- much more straight forward...

I read somewhere, a while back, that Apple had ported all the ProRes codecs to iOS. This could mean that an iPad, through the Camera Connection Kit, could natively ingest many different video formats -- including AVCHD.

If we get an iPad Pro (3) with more robust CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD/Display -- then I could see this being used for certain types of rapid-turnaround video editing -- where timeliness/opportunity outweighs edit & storytelling details.

In fact, crowd sourcing/editing of the 2012 Olympics would seem to be a natural for this sort of activity...

Isn't it fortunate that the stars (and the time zones) are aligned for the 2012 London Olympics -- where instantaneously-avaiable video can be served to millions of viewers watching, live, in prime time.

Tying it all together in the final reel

So, we could have an arrangement where both "Live Coverage" and "Crowd-Sourced Video" of the Olympics is available on your iPad.

Think of it:

1) Olympic Attendees: while standing in line or attending an event -- could switch among, and watch events at other venues...

2) Non-Attendees: at home or in the Pub -- each watching the event of choice on his PersonalTV (iPad)

Mmmmm............. Wouldn't that be a dainty dish,: To set before the Queen?

• Reply 89 of 103
    Quote:

Okay, I see what you are saying. The 'unusual' is policy change then, i.e. pre announcing with prices. The thing is they'd be spoiling the big unveiling unless they only mention iPad 3 by name with no specifics ... that might work.

No, I'm saying that IS the unveiling. Announce the iPad 3. Tell all about it. This IS the iPad 3 keynote. Preorders starting THAT DAY. iPad 2 pricing drops as of THAT DAY.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I wonder if the description 'strange' to a rumoured future event is the result of rumour mongering that just plain ran out of ideas.

Out of ideas? The analysts will always have ideas!

The xMac will never happen, so they'll just default to that once Apple either confirms or denies the rest of the rumors by way of introducing products that circumvent them.

xMac, keyboard iPhone, iPhone nano, television, game console? what else?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Apple will announce a partnership with Google to provide iPhones and iPads powered by Android. That would be very cool.

Just install Android 2.2 on your iPhone and be done with it. Even I'm getting tired of your nonsense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That all the pros hate and refuse to buy, even though it's ten years ahead of the pack and will be what everyone else in the world wants.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I'm saying that IS the unveiling. Announce the iPad 3. Tell all about it. This IS the iPad 3 keynote. Preorders starting THAT DAY. iPad 2 pricing drops as of THAT DAY.

Ok, sorry I misunderstood. Well that would be a fun day. I too, am expecting an Education Special announcement at some point for iPads, maybe as you say the iPad2 for that. Price for student and teacher alike as well as amazing deals to institutions. The announcement by the President's team today about the 5 year initiative to go digital in educational text books is no coincidence. I suspect Steve and Barack had been discussing this.
  • Reply 91 of 103
    Quote:

Ok, sorry I misunderstood. Well that would be a fun day. I am expecting an Education Special announcement at some point too for iPads, maybe as you say the iPad2 for that.

Yeah, exactly. Of course, the price will be the same for everyone else, too. $399 would be the education price. Just have schools get first dibs on large orders of iPad 2.

Apple still sells the MacBook to schools, so giving them dibs on the iPad 2 makes sense.
  • Reply 92 of 103
    Quote:

That all the pros hate and refuse to buy, even though it's ten years ahead of the pack and will be what everyone else in the world wants.

You forgot ... and it won't load anything off your previous Mac until it updates a year later .
  • Reply 93 of 103
    Quote:

Yeah, exactly. Of course, the price will be the same for everyone else, too. $399 would be the education price. Just have schools get first dibs on large orders of iPad 2.

Apple still sells the MacBook to schools, so giving them dibs on the iPad 2 makes sense.

I think there will be a new push to sell en masse to educational institutions at an even lower cost but probably secret and on a case by case basis depending on numbers. The company I ran in the UK once did a deal with an entire county to supply Macs to all schools. Apple were heavily involved and actually took the burden of cash flow off our hands for a slightly smaller profit margin. I'd love to see Apple really get back hard into education and simply make Apple the de facto standard for the 21st Century's digital learning in education. Oh did I mention I own stock?
  • Reply 94 of 103
    Quote:

By Jove, I think you've got it.
  • Reply 95 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple bought a C3 to integrate in iOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q5lM_KefDkg

The February event could be this software? I love the youtube demo.

I'm not sure they've had enough time to integrate C3 software... Any developers with an opinion?
  • Reply 96 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I think the title pretty much confirms what I said.

I don't see anything in your translation that suggests that there will be two events. It very much reads like his original blog saying that there would be a Feb event was wrong because that would be unusual for Apple and that it will be in March, instead.

Looks like I was right:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...february_.html
  • Reply 97 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm not sure they've had enough time to integrate C3 software... Any developers with an opinion?

Apple bought the company about a year ago.

Part of the tasks is building a repository of maps of various cities -- I think London * is already available,

* I think they have mapped about 100 major cities.

So, If Apple wanted to, they likely, could release a beta version for the July Olympics -- they would need to supply 3D maps of the missing venues and routes...

And integrate the whole thing with Siri in several languages... Whoa!

• Reply 98 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I clearly don't read Japanese, so I'm relying entirely on your translation. As I read that, he's saying "I earlier said that there would be a special event in February, but that was a mistake. A February event would be unusual for Apple." This would suggest that the event he earlier predicted would be in March rather than in February. IOW, nothing to get excited about - and no reason to believe that they'll have a Feb AND a March event.

Hint: Never believe anything Gizmodo says.

I studied Japanese in college, tho I don't remember so much of it. I DO remember how odd the word order is. Japanese and Korean and one other obscure language have this odd word order wheree relative clauses come before the object, so it seems backwards to us. The verb is at the end of the sentence. I actually think your reading of it is the closest to being correct.
  • Reply 99 of 103
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

2012 APPLE INC. Annual Meeting of Stockholders

MEETING DATE: Thursday February 23, 2012

Do you know where and what time?

10am at Apple HQ
  • Reply 100 of 103
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

"strange" event... iOS 5.1 with Facebook integration... Facebook IPO... Google+...

Put it all together, add a dash of wild speculation. Apple and Facebook will parter to take on Google, with Apple holding 50% of Facebook stock.

Why would Apple talk about or participate in a FaceBook IPO?

They would invest with the company directly and get it on their own terms.