Workers' rights petitions delivered to Apple's Grand Central store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

What exactly will YOU be doing to rectify the problem.

I can't solve this problem. I do not have the resources or influence. I've never claimed I could.
  • Reply 62 of 137
    People are concentrating their attacks on Apple because they know there's no way in hell that Acer, Amazon, ASRock, Asus, Barnes & Noble, Cisco, Dell, EVGA Corporation, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, IBM, Lenovo, Microsoft, MSI, Motorola, Netgear, Nintendo, Nokia, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Sony Ericsson, or Vizio will do a damn thing about it.
  • Reply 63 of 137
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

I can't solve this problem. I do not have the resources or influence. I've never claimed I could.

So you are saying the individual cannot make a difference, is that correct?
  • Reply 64 of 137
    Quote:

So you are saying the individual cannot make a difference, is that correct?

Not me.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    Quote:

Not me.

Steve Jobs disagrees with you.

Gandhi disagrees with you.

Hitler disagrees with you.

A LOT of other people disagree with you.

If this really is that important to you, step out from behind your keyboard, go out into the world, and do something other than telling others what to do.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    Quote:

The way you're constructing your arguments,, I think you are going to wake up one day realize that lack of resources or influence is not your main problem.

Get a clue.
  • Reply 67 of 137
    Quote:

If this really is that important to you, step out from behind your keyboard, go out into the world, and do something other than telling others what to do.

What do you suggest I do? Signing a petition with a quarter of a million other people is a good start.
  • Reply 68 of 137
    Quote:

I'm just not listening to your opinion.

We're not trying to reform an entire country's labor system. Just one company. You're making this out to be a lot more complicated than it is. If we push hard enough this will get solved very quickly at Foxconn. I guess you're happy with letting the problem resolve itself, even if it takes 50 years. That kind of solution doesn't satisfy me or a quarter of a million other people. We can fix this. There is no need to be so pessimistic.

Put your brain to work, boy.

You can't fix one company without fixing the entire country. You may like to think you can but you can't.

[... and in your world as long as Foxconn is fixed then all the other Chinese laborers who are working in even worse conditions can just go to hell I suppose]
  • Reply 69 of 137
    Quote:

What do you suggest I do? Signing a petition with a quarter of a million other people is a good start.

Me telling you what to do would completely invalidate the point I have been making to you.
  • Reply 70 of 137
    Quote:

Me telling you what to do would completely invalidate the point I have been making to you.

It's not like I see your point anyways.
  • Reply 71 of 137
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

I hope you do realize that stock prices are mostly affected by value and growth. Decreasing profit margins by a few dollars wont do anything to the stock and would mean a lot to these people.

Everyone is this thread is pretending the problem doesn't exist. There have been independent investigations and everyone is coming to the same conclusion. They are overworked and treated like slaves. People here are arguing that because other companies do it that Apple should be able to get away with it too. Yeah, Apple is trying harder than other companies but they aren't trying that hard. Conditions are improving but we need larger and swifter action.

These hard working people are the reason you can afford your iPod, iPhone, and Macs. They are the only reason Apple can continue building great products and you can afford to buy them. We can sit here and try to justify their crappy incomes and lives with all kinds of excuses or we can treat them with dignity as fellow humans. This protest isn't trying to say Apple is evil, it's saying that a lot of people support this idea and would like to see something done about it.

Have you ever been to Asia? China perhaps?
  • Reply 72 of 137
    Quote:

2. If Foxconn doesn't respond, Apple builds it's own assembly factory in China.

How can Apple build its own factory in China?
  • Reply 73 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

How can Apple build its own factory in China?

Put it somewhere else then. You guys are trying so hard not to think.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    Quote:

Put it somewhere else then. You guys are trying so hard not to think.

Everything is so easy for you, isn't it? Now I know what kind of people signing this petition. Do you know how poor these Chinese working at Foxconn used to be (before there's Foxconn)?
  • Reply 75 of 137
    Quote:

Now I know what kind of people signing this petition.

If the ones taking up the cudgels here are any indication, I'd say the pathetic, poorly-informed, wide-eyed kind that is responsible America losing its competitive advantage to countries like China and India.
  • Reply 76 of 137
    Quote:

Everything is so easy for you, isn't it? Now I know what kind of people signing this petition. Do you know how poor these Chinese working at Foxconn used to be (before there's Foxconn)?

Does it really matter how poor they were? This is just another excuse to avoid the actual problem. You are pretending their lives are so great now even though tons of evidence suggests otherwise.

I don't claim to know the solution to the problem. You don't know the solution either. This issue is far too complicated. I'd rather try something than nothing. There is extreme pessimism here.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    Quote:

Does it really matter how poor they were? This is just another excuse to avoid the actual problem. You are pretending their lives are so great now even though tons of evidence suggests otherwise.

I don't claim to know the solution to the problem. You don't know the solution either. This issue is far too complicated. I'd rather try something than nothing. There is extreme pessimism here.

I'd rather be pessimistic than stupid.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'd rather be pessimistic than stupid.

All you've done is personally attack me. You've offered no solutions except to keep doing what we're doing (which recent investigations show isn't working). I guess you're the smart one here. I couldn't care less and I'm tired of arguing with you. Think whatever you want. Most of the world disagrees with you so I've already won.

"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me." - Steve Jobs

Try seeing the value in that.
  • Reply 79 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

1. Apple calls Foxconn and demands they pay their workers more, give them more breaks, and work them less hours or they will stop doing business with them. They also start auditing them much more aggressively.

2. If Foxconn doesn't respond, Apple builds it's own assembly factory in China.

See, that wasn't very hard. It just requires firm action. So what's your solution?

With that response, you've confirmed to everyone here that you actually don't have any real solutions that could be implemented on planet Earth, and are even more and naive clueless than I thought. Both your points are idiotic and unrealistic for so many different reasons. I'm sure Foxconn executives aren't utter morons. They know for that fact there's nowhere else Apple can go, and that would be an empty and childish threat. As for 2... wow, just wow. Doesn't even deserve a response, and to even suggest such a thing portrays how little you must understand of anything.
  • Reply 80 of 137
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    The million who signed the petition will line up to buy the new iPad 3, the new iPhone 5, the new Macbook Air, the new Apple TV ...