Apple lodges new suit against Samsung over autocorrect, screen unlock

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 57
    God I'm sick of the lawsuits. We're all having to pay for it in the price of the products we buy.



    The patent system desperately needs to be overhauled.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Unless, of course, "start in the middle of a circle and move to the outside of said circle by swiping with your finger" can be called something different.



    I'm pretty sure Apple has a lock on that one, but I'm not a lawyer.



    I said something similar a few months ago and several people challenged me on it so I went back and read the entire patent wording very carefully and (IMO of course), I don't see how Samsung (or any Android vendor) can get around it.



    I'm fine with that anyway since it's pretty clear that (whatever the courts decide), Apple *did* in fact come up with the idea first.



    No one has yet come forward with anything that really similar as prior art or in fact claimed that they invented it first. Those arguing against it are merely arguing that they should be allowed to copy it because it's "obvious," which is the defence of pretty much every IP thief.



    I hope they win anyway. I've had a few of my ideas stolen myself and I'm always on the side of the inventor/artist over those who are just users.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post


    Pick a different gesture then and problem solved assuming that the patenting of gestures is determined patentable (obviously I'm not an expert on the details of patent law). This just looks like patent trolling anyway. Apple wants to limit the competition, so they look for anything that could be interpreted as infringement on one of many vague patents. They're just tying up the court systems.



    I think you are uninformed on the facts.



    The patent in question is hardly vague. If they lose the case at all it will be because the patent is in fact overly specific.



    The facts would also indicate that far from just being obstructionist or using patents as a weapon, Apple is actually interested in protecting it's original ideas. The screen unlock is definitely an original Apple idea as are the data detectors.



    The only way you rationally conclude Apple was interested in pushing these patents for other reasons than protecting their original IP is if you can prove that they aren't in fact original ideas.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I'm pretty sure Apple has a lock on that one, but I'm not a lawyer.



    Quote:

    I'm pretty sure Apple has a lock on that one



    Quote:

    Apple has a lock on that one



    Quote:

    has a lock



    Quote:

    lock



    I see what you did there.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    My apologise to Gatorguy and AbsoluteDesignz if I ever compared you to Galbi.



    I don't think you ever have.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Prior art be dammed!



    What amazing thing will Apple patent next? Sliced bread?



    No, no, I'm only joking about the sliced bread -- stop lining up at the apple stores with $700 in your hands.



    Of course when they do patent "Sliced Bread" they'll sue all the bakeries that have been making it for years.



    "Gee, Grandpa, what did Apple do before they were patent trolls?"
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farkus View Post


    post



    Why have you created two accounts? This is against the rules.



    Why are you trolling with this post? This is just silly.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Why have you created two accounts? This is against the rules.



    Why are you trolling with this post? This is just silly.



    Don' t you think?



    And by the way this whole thread is trolling. Or does it only count when the troller is using common sense?
  • Reply 29 of 57
    What is Apple afraid of?
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farkus View Post


    Prior art be dammed!



    What amazing thing will Apple patent next? Sliced bread?



    No, no, I'm only joking about the sliced bread -- stop lining up at the apple stores with $700 in your hands.



    Of course when they do patent "Sliced Bread" they'll sue all the bakeries that have been making it for years.



    "Gee, Grandpa, what did Apple do before they were patent trolls?"



    They can move to circle sliced bread, but would be sued still
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    God I'm sick of the lawsuits. We're all having to pay for it in the price of the products we buy.



    The patent system desperately needs to be overhauled.



    At least you are getting something great in return!
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farkus View Post


    What is Apple afraid of?



    Forced to use Bing?
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farkus View Post


    Don' t you think?



    And by the way this whole thread is trolling. Or does it only count when the troller is using common sense?



    By the way, thanks for "sharing" about the two accounts (snitch). As you can clearly see (administrator), one was never authorized, i.e. I made a mistake the first time. Feel free to delete the account I've never used.



    Any more "damming" secrets you want to share about me? I'm sure you can find some if you dig around enough. And by all means, avoid the point.



    Good. Now maybe we can get back to the point.



    Do you consider suing for "autocorrect" a patent troll activity, that screams "We can't compete with Samsung, so we better try another chickensh*t lawsuit."



    The patent will be invalidated. There's prior art everywhere. Apple probably doesn't even expect it to stand up in court. They're just doing what Microsoft perfected years ago. FUD.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farkus View Post


    What is Apple afraid of?



    What are you afraid of? Coming here under false pretenses with two accounts?
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farkus View Post


    By the way, thanks for "sharing" about the two accounts (snitch). As you can clearly see (administrator), one was never authorized, i.e. I made a mistake the first time. Feel free to delete the account I've never used.



    You can always change your user information after the fact. The only thing you can't change is the username itself.



    Quote:

    Good. Now maybe we can get back to the point.



    You don't have a point. Your point is trolling, and there's no call for responses to that.



    Quote:

    Do you consider suing for "autocorrect" a patent troll activity, that screams "We can't compete with Samsung, so we better try another chickensh*t lawsuit."



    Imagine that, but sixteen times larger. "Can't compete with Samsung". I can't even BREATHE right now!



    Quote:

    The patent will be invalidated. There's prior art everywhere. Apple probably doesn't even expect it to stand up in court. They're just doing what Microsoft perfected years ago. FUD.



    So Microsoft has a patent for the exact same implementation of autocorrect that Apple has patented and is asserting here? Seems strange that they'd NEVER USE IT in any of their products, then, given how much better Apple's autocorrect is than anything else available.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farkus View Post


    What is Apple afraid of?



    Create an account just to troll?



    Grow up.



    Competition isn't based upon copying the other guys work and then crying wolf. That's theft.



    Get used to Samsung getting held up in court for years.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post


    I was just about to post the same URL. The phrase "damn you autocorrect" is now used when anything doesn't work properly in our household.



    I guess it's not a prerequisite that a technology actually work well for it to be patented.



    AutoMisTypeAhead ate my homework...
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Unless, of course, "start in the middle of a circle and move to the outside of said circle by swiping with your finger" can be called something different.



    foreplay?



    Edit: On second thought... "Slide to Unlock" and "foreplay" are just two different phrases describing the same activity...





    Then, there's this....



    Recipes
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Question. Is this patent for the general notion of autocorrection or does Samsung's modification border too close to iOS implementation?



    I know Samsung loves to rip off Apple so if it's modified to be like iOS then I hope Samsung loses.



    If it is the other way then I hope Apple loses as I don't feel the notion of autocorrect should be patentable.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    My apologise to Gatorguy and AbsoluteDesignz if I ever compared you to Galbi.



    You haven't. All is good.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Oh sweet heavens, we're going to have to suffer through twenty pages of the anti-Apple guys here telling us what the definition of 'swipe' is, aren't we?



    It depends what the definition of "is" is...
Sign In or Register to comment.