Apple asks for US preliminary injunction of Samsung's Android 4.0 Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Reply 401 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

On a side note The iPhone really changed the material of the screen used and created a totally new market for Corning which had not found any use for its product fron the 60s. If it werent for the iPhone we would still use scratching plastic screens today...

It i curious though, that Apple have moved away from Corning as a supplier of glass and now list three other aluminosilicate manufacturers.

I have heard various stories as to why

1. Corning could not supply the volume Apple need (an/or not supply it while meeting other manufacturers demands)

2. Corning could not make it in the thickness Apple wanted (and are now with Gorilla glass 2)

3. The process used to create Gorilla glass uses harmful chemicals
  • Reply 402 of 448
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,820member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple is currently being sued by many, many companies for theft of IP.

Tekstud - is that you?
  • Reply 403 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rBels View Post

But I find it hard to see someone 'blatantly' snatching 45-65% more money for the products in the name of aesthetic patents. If Apple considers reducing this margin even a bit lesser, they dont have to chase Android OEMs, but would see the Apple customer base further increase exponentially. Patents are good, but only as long as they dont hurt the customers of the reach to good technology on time and at reasonable price.

In this case the patents involved are much more "meaty", at least to me. They are not so much design-oriented as before, but seem more function-oriented. Data Detectors, Autocorrect, Unified Search, etc. seem like rather significant newly-granted patents. I don't think enforcing these patent rights will hurt customers, because Apple is in an intractable situation ~ as negotiation experts will say. All parties have moved to unsolvable positions and the courts will have to come down on one side or another. Brinkmanship, as it were. Since Apple has no choice but to litigate on a continual basis and everyone else has to either continue (in an infringing or non-infringing way, depending on what the legal result is) or wait for re-worked versions of Android.

BTW it does seem strange that after all this time only 1% of Android phones(?) are version 4. Meaning 99% are version 2.3 at best(? - before customer modifications, that is). Intriguing but somewhat troubling to me.
  • Reply 404 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What if Samsung stops making the A4, A5 and A6? Wont this pretty much halt all Apple sales? this is getting out of hands.

Er... And who do you think makes a ton of Nvidia and AMD/ATI chips? Hint: Not Samsung
  • Reply 405 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scroat View Post

Yes I heard rumors it was TSMC missing specs. But we don't know for sure. It could have just been Samsung under bid TSMC. Sure short term Apple would be hurt but like I said, Apple takes a chunk of their 100 billion and invests it into factories for TSMC or whoever and it's business as usual. What people fail to understand is Apple has locked down contracts with All of their suppliers. Samsung would probably have to pay a massive penalty for missing any "quota" due to "manufacturing difficulties" or whatever they call the reason for not supplying Apple their parts. If Samsung were to refuse any future contracts with Apple once again Apple would be hurt short term but guaranteed they would find another manufacturer and it would quickly be business as usual again. ANY company can make the chips for Apple. Apple owns the design. My opinion is Apple goes with Samsung because like you said, Samsung is the most reliable manufacturer in the business. Samsung is the most cost efficient manufacturer in the business. But make no mistake. They are NOT the ONLY manufacturer in the business. Push comes to shove, Apple spends the money and builds factories capable of duplicating Samsungs reliability. I agree with you tho, Samsung isn't going to do anything drastic.

Yeah, TSMC has had a pretty bad track record over the past five years. Samsung seems to be doing a better job for ARM production. That said, it is true that if Apple needed to they would simply set up their own fab. It sounds insane to many but it's definitely in the PlanB box at AppleHQ.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apparently you two haven't heard of Google's proxy (MotoMo) suing Apple in Germany for 2.25% of the retail price of an iPhone or iPad. Read up on it, it's all over the news.

Has Google commented openly on this? What are they saying, I wonder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You tap the power button to light up the screen, there's an image that you place your finger on and slide over a padlock to unlock the phone.

That's one of the patents under contention.

Then there's the other three involved in this suit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

OMG. .

Just noticed Florian Mueller has a name for this set of four patents. . .

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post

Apple took current technology, modded it, put a nice face on it, added an ecosystem around it and marketed it.

Hmm...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

Sure, they can be wrong

Indeed. That's why I have an Xbox360, a Logitech mouse etc.
  • Reply 406 of 448
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I understand your attempts to backpedal and suddenly break your car analogy into categories to try and reduce Android's market share.

I also understand that you're embarrassed that you've made an analogy in an area where you're obviously not familiar with either cars or the phone industry.

Unfortunately, the fact remains that you stated "Comparing an iPhone to a Ferrari is asinine, its the best selling phone right? So what's the best selling car? a Toyota Corolla? Why? Because they just work. Low repair rate, and long lasting. That makes more sense."

By your own analogy, Android, the best selling phone on the market, with a current market share of 47%, is now that 'Toyota Corolla'.

And I guess that makes iPhone the Ferrari, as previously stated by meh 2.

Thanks for proving his point.

Android is not a phone, dumbass.
  • Reply 407 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

patent suits are one thing...those go up on all sites pretty much.

but there are many articles that have literally nothing to do with Apple.

Ugh, another ban? Hard to keep your cool head in places like this right?

For your question. AI has to eat too. And the ad revenues haven't been flowing lately, more like trickles. All those Android handsets, software and phone carriers are now gone. And with them ad money. CNBC stop quoting AI doesn't help drive page views either.

When sites resort to accepting ads from U.S. Green Card lottery, university sumer programs and online games, I know they are in financial hole. Anyone know if Apple Insider has been in the red?

Probably the only thing that keeps the light on is Android articles, bashing or otherwise, and all those stuff that doesn't involved Apple. I don't remember there was an article involved Apple products with more than 200 comments lately. AI articles about Android is guarantee to have at least 190.

Now, I wonder where readers of Apple news go?
  • Reply 408 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think that's the correct question. Being a fan of one doesn't mean you can't be a fan of the other. I think a better question is: Why frequent a site about a company/product for which you are not a fan?

The opposite of love isn't hate; it's indifference. I've never been to an Android or Windows forum or site in my life. The Apple haters here remind me of Red Sox fans trolling on Yankees forums or vice versa. It's pretty laughable. They just don't have a life.
  • Reply 409 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Er... And who do you think makes a ton of Nvidia and AMD/ATI chips? Hint: Not Samsung

And is Samsung still the only manufacturer with capacity Apple require? They said no one else in this business can deliver these chips in number and timing Apple need.

On a side note, what kind of conflict or frictions that will make Samsung Semiconductor close rank with its Electronics cousin and say 'That's it!' then actually stop the delivery to Apple?
  • Reply 410 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

The opposite of love isn't hate; it's indifference. I've never been to an Android or Windows forum or site in my life. The Apple haters here remind me of Red Sox fans trolling on Yankees forums or vice versa. It's pretty laughable. They just don't have a life.

Well, plenty of them I'm sure are among those unemployed Americans who stop looking, and use this site to while away their hours until the job market picks up. While half of regulars on The Economist magazine forums are Canadian and British students who hangs on for extra years rather than graduate and go jobless.
  • Reply 411 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Tekstud - is that you?

I missed him already, I really am.

Didn't he get another job far away from Manhattan that he doesn't have time to post anymore?

Though I believe it was that tekstud was more of a Mac and iPod guy rather than iOS guy. So when those two lines fade from Apple's spotlight, he lost interest as well.
  • Reply 412 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Well, plenty of them I'm sure are among those unemployed Americans who stop looking, and use this site to while away their hours until the job market picks up. While half of regulars on The Economist magazine forums are Canadian and British students who hangs on for extra years rather than graduate and go jobless.

That's pretty funny and I agree!
  • Reply 413 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

First of all google did not copy iOS it is really sad some people are to ignorant to understand that.

Android is a stolen product. Apple is going to destroy Android.
  • Reply 414 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Ugh, another ban? Hard to keep your cool head in places like this right?

For your question. AI has to eat too. And the ad revenues haven't been flowing lately, more like trickles. All those Android handsets, software and phone carriers are now gone. And with them ad money. CNBC stop quoting AI doesn't help drive page views either.

When sites resort to accepting ads from U.S. Green Card lottery, university sumer programs and online games, I know they are in financial hole. Anyone know if Apple Insider has been in the red?

Probably the only thing that keeps the light on is Android articles, bashing or otherwise, and all those stuff that doesn't involved Apple. I don't remember there was an article involved Apple products with more than 200 comments lately. AI articles about Android is guarantee to have at least 190.

Now, I wonder where readers of Apple news go?

Apple fanboyz cause quite the stink on BB and Android fora. But there's much tit for tat.
  • Reply 415 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What if Samsung stops making the A4, A5 and A6? Wont this pretty much halt all Apple sales? this is getting out of hands.

That's ok. Nothing to worry about. Audi still makes A4, A5 and A6, and has been producing the A8 already.
  • Reply 416 of 448
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Android is a stolen product. Apple is going to destroy Android.

• Reply 417 of 448
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

The opposite of love isn't hate; it's indifference.

I've never understood why people say that. Is it a saying because it's axiomatically incorrect. The opposite of feeling/emotion is indifference. Love and hate are opposite emotions.
  • Reply 418 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He's absolutely right. It stifles competition when Apple's natural success is so overwhelming that Google and Samsung feel they have no choice but to steal from Apple instead of investing in actual innovation.

And Apple has repeatedly "stolen" features from Android. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then both Google and Apple are gushing for each other.

Again, once folks get over the idea that Apple is a misfortuned pauper who's been robbed blindly, they can move on to a reality where Apple is more accurately an ultra-rich teeth gnashing bully.
  • Reply 419 of 448
    Quote:

Apple is currently being sued by many, many companies for theft of IP.

Chinese Authorities Seize iPads Over Trademark Dispute

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400165,00.asp
  • Reply 420 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

If the only people convinced are Apple, their followers, the courts and the opposing lawyers then I would hazard a guess that things will go quite well for Apple.

I purposely left out the other 99% of the population who don't vehemently claim Apple IP theft, otherwise don't care and would prefer to spend their money on development efforts rather than legal bickering.