WSJ: Apple to add 4G LTE to third-generation iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A new report claims Apple will announce a third-generation iPad in early March that is capable of operating on 4G LTE networks from Verizon and AT&T.

People familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal that Apple is planning on announcing the 4G-capable iPad during the first week of March. The device would reportedly then go on sale with AT&T and Verizon.

That lines up with earlier reports that have suggested the same time frame. One recent rumor claimed the announcement would come on March 7 and was quickly backed up by The Loop's Jim Dalrymple.

The Journal was unable to learn whether the other major carriers in the U.S., Sprint and T-Mobile, would also sell Apple's next iPad, though it did point out that AT&T and Verizon are currently the only two operators in the U.S. that run LTE networks. Verizon got an early lead with its 4G network and now reaches 200 million people with the service. AT&T has worked to catch up to its rival, covering 74 million people at the end of 2011.

Sources also said that the next iPad will resort to slower network technology when LTE isn't available. AT&T sold the original iPad iPad Wi-Fi + 3G in 2010, while Verizon sold the iPad with Wi-Fi and a Mobile Hotspot router. The second-generation iPad, released last year, was capable of running on both Verizon and AT&T from day one.

Though rumors that Apple would transition the iPhone and iPad to LTE in 2012 have persisted for some time, evidence that the company will make the leap next month has mounted in recent months. Bloomberg claimed last month that the next-generation iPad would feature LTE, as well as a high-resolution Retina Display and a quad-core processor.

Details surrounding the next iPad have also appeared to leak out through purported components for the next-generation tablet. One recent report featured images of three parts, including the display, the dock connector and the rear panel, fitted together to show subtle differences between the iPad 2 and the so-called "iPad 3."

The alleged parts reportedly showed that the third-generation iPad will be slightly thicker and feature a different camera mount. The display in question was said to be a Sharp QXGA 9.7-inch LCD display with a resolution of 2,048 by 1,536 pixels.

Rumors of a 4G-compatible "iPad 3" have also gained steam after pictures of new LTE micro-SIM cards from AT&T emerged late last week. Apple's current iPhone and 3G-capable iPad use micro-SIM cards.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said last April that the company had held off on 4G for its devices because the "first generation" of LTE chipsets required too many compromises.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    I really hope it's not two separate LTE models for AT&T and Verizon. That would totally suck.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I really hope it's not two separate LTE models for AT&T and Verizon. That would totally suck.

I think full world mode is here to stay with Apple but I do expect them to be boxed for different carriers for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint in the US because the basebands will have to be flashed for the different CDMA carriers.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Better hope that Verizon upgrades their network. A friend of mine has a 3g Verizon iPad. We were one mile north of Downtown LA and the signal was horribly slow. I hear Verizon 4G is pretty good. Better hope you have a good signal with 4g.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Oh, and one more thing... it will have a battery life of 10 minutes. Thank you! Good night!
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, and one more thing... it will have a battery life of 10 minutes. Thank you! Good night!

The RAZR maxxx gets over 20 hours on LTE in a super slim package (less than 9mm)

So one more thing....you are wrong. Goodnight
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe they can save most of the battery life with intelligent network switching - LTE isn't going to be available everywhere, so if it's using 3G most of the time anyway, there probably won't be much of a performance hit. Although, knowing Apple, they'll want even those few percent who live in constant access of LTE to have good battery life, so I'm sure it'll still be close to their 10 hour mark.

Does anyone remember how much of a battery-life hit the iPhone had going from 2G to 3G? Was it enough to cause an uproar?
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

The RAZR maxxx gets over 20 hours on LTE in a super slim package (less than 9mm)

So one more thing....you are wrong. Goodnight

You need to focus on better reading comprehension. The Droid RAZR MAXX is listed by Motorola to get up to 21.5 hours of continuous talk time.

Guess which network component is responsible for calls on a CMDA-based phone? You don't know? It's CDMA. 2G connectivity. Not 4G. Not LTE. Not Data. You are wrong. So where is your proof that you can 20 hours of data on LTE? You don't have any, huh? You are wrong.

Also note that thinness doesn't mean squat here as components take up space in the physical world so you need to consider not one... not two... but three dimensions. But to make that even easier you can just look at the battery's mAh to get an idea about its energy capacity. You are wrong.

The Droid RAZR has a 1750 mAh battery and is said to last about half as long as the Droid RAZR MAXX with a 3300 mAh battery. They both have 1.2Hz Cortex-A9s, 1GB RAM, 4.3" qHD Super-AMOLED displays so there is no magic that Moto has learned about power usage since the first Droid RAZR except perhaps in figuring out how to cram more stuff in the same space through better engineering... but wait, they didn't, they merely added weight and thickness to the already large volume device because they cared so little about battery life that the first Droid RAZR was lambasted for being such a useless all-day device.

So one more thing....you are wrong. Goodnight.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Nice... looking forward to the speed and hoping that Apple via Qualcomm has solved the LTE battery drain issues. *fingers crossed*

(... now let's see that LTE iPhone this fall)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

Better hope that Verizon upgrades their network. A friend of mine has a 3g Verizon iPad. We were one mile north of Downtown LA and the signal was horribly slow. I hear Verizon 4G is pretty good. Better hope you have a good signal with 4g.

Probably no need to worry as both my Galaxy Nexus and Xoom LTE are very fast on LTE in the LA area.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Nice... looking forward to the speed and hoping that Apple via Qualcomm has solved the LTE battery drain issues. *fingers crossed*

(... now let's see that LTE iPhone this fall)

Probably no need to worry as both my Galaxy Nexus and Xoom LTE are very fast on LTE in the LA area.

So YOU'RE the guy that bought the Xoom!
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Hopefully Verizon & ATT can handle the load if Apple puts it in their IPHONE 5 and IPAD. I would think that they would as others will in the upcoming months.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) You need to better your reading comprehension. The Droid RAZR MAXX is listed by Motorola to get up to 21.5 hours of continuous talk time.

Guess which network component is responsible for calls on a CMDA-based phone? You don't know? It's CDMA. 2G connectivity. Not 4G. Not LTE. Not Data. You are wrong. So where is your proof that you can 20 hours of data on LTE? You don't have any, huh? You are wrong.

Also not that thinness doesn't mean squat here as components take up space in the physical world so you need to consider not one... not two... but three dimensions. But to make that even easier you can just look at the battery's mAh to get an idea about its energy capacity. You are wrong.

The Droid RAZR has a 1750 mAh battery and is said to last about half as long as the Droid RAZR MAXX with a 3300 mAh battery. They both have 1.2Hz Cortex-A9s, 1GB RAM, 4.3" qHD Super-AMOLED displays there is no magic that Moto has learn about power usage since the first Droid RAZR except perhaps in figuring out how to cram more stuff in the same space through better engineering... but wait, they didn't. They merely added wait and thickness to the already large volume device because they cared so little about battery life that the first Droid RAZR was lambasted for being such a useless all-day device.

he won't be able to sleep tonight after reading such reply… but still you should wish him goodnight though.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Hard to get excited about LTE when everything has gone to data caps. What's the point? I guess if your current speed sucks then it's something to get excited about. With data caps and greedy wireless carriers I have zero enthusiasm for LTE.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

Also note that thinness doesn't mean squat here as components take up space in the physical world

Geez...I never thought of it like that.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msavwah View Post

Hard to get excited about LTE when everything has gone to data caps. What's the point? I guess if your current speed sucks then it's something to get excited about. With data caps and greedy wireless carriers I have zero enthusiasm for LTE.

I don't get your point. This webpage doesn't grow in size simply because I access it from LTE instead of HSDPA. The upload and downloads are faster and the latency is lower. That's a good thing.

The problem arises with users who are now using their device more because they are waiting around less for data to be sent and received. But having soo much extra time on my hands from having faster internet is a problem I'd like to have.

Eventually, when the number of internet capable devices tips in favour of LTE we will see large webpages and higher def video as the default. That's progress and you'll have to deal with that even if you want to stay on CDMA2000/HSDPA or EDGE/GPRS.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member
    I couldn't care less if it has LTE or not. Give me a retina display, better cpu/gpu, HD frontfacing camera, 4S camera for the back, a couple new apple-made apps optimized for retina, and I'll be in heaven.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

You need to focus on better reading comprehension. The Droid RAZR MAXX is listed by Motorola to get up to 21.5 hours of continuous talk time.

Also note that thinness doesn't mean squat here as components take up space in the physical world so you need to consider not one... not two... but three dimensions. But to make that even easier you can just look at the battery's mAh to get an idea about its energy capacity. You are wrong.

The Droid RAZR has a 1750 mAh battery and is said to last about half as long as the Droid RAZR MAXX with a 3300 mAh battery. They both have 1.2Hz Cortex-A9s, 1GB RAM, 4.3" qHD Super-AMOLED displays so there is no magic that Moto has learned about power usage since the first Droid RAZR except perhaps in figuring out how to cram more stuff in the same space through better engineering... but wait, they didn't, they merely added weight and thickness to the already large volume device because they cared so little about battery life that the first Droid RAZR was lambasted for being such a useless all-day device.

techcrunch.com/2012/01/28/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-review-4g-lte-with-solid-battery-life-just-got-real/

over 20 hours of battery life with both Wi-Fi and 4g on in real life testing.

so as I said, you are wrong. goodnight. or is it good morning?
  • Reply 17 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I couldn't care less if it has LTE or not. Give me a retina display, better cpu/gpu, HD frontfacing camera, 4S camera for the back, a couple new apple-made apps optimized for retina, and I'll be in heaven.

Since I always agree with you, I'll have to let you in on what I just flashed upon. Along with these essentials you mention, LTE-like speeds out in the world on a largish handheld portable high resolution screen will be the most transformational information technology yet deployed. It will be a large iPhone, "just" a very large iPhone. Fasten your seat belts, a smooth and fast ride ahead.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

techcrunch.com/2012/01/28/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-review-4g-lte-with-solid-battery-life-just-got-real/

over 20 hours of battery life with both Wi-Fi and 4g on in real life testing.

so as I said, you are wrong. goodnight. or is it good morning?

Again with the reading comprehension. Are you just that dimwitted or are you just really bad at trolling?
    "Yes, the Razr Maxx?s battery life is far better than that of the Razr. I actually still have my Razr from when I reviewed it, and was able to test both phones alongside each other. But before I get into the results, let me tell you about how we tested it. We have a battery test program here that continuously searches Google for images. Once one page loads, another pops up. I can close out of the browser at any time to load apps (which I did), make calls (did that, too), browse the web (yep, that too), and watch some videos.

But the most important thing to remember when I give you these numbers is that both phones, the Maxx and the original Razr, were in constant use from the beginning of the test until they died. No locked screen. No minute to catch their breath.

The Razr lasted for four and a half hours with constant (and varied) use. The Maxx, on the other hand, stuck with me for eight hours and fifteen minutes. For those of you following along at home, that?s almost double the battery life. If I use the phone like a normal human being (read: not Google Image searching random names constantly), it lasted a full day and on into the next day before it needed a charge around 11 am. This is with Wifi and 4G LTE in use.
    So almost double the battery life for almost double the battery capacity for a much thicker device than the previous model... exactly what I said and proof that what you said is wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    While we are at it, the iPad 3 will also feature a psychic link to its user, allowing you to talk to Siri 2.0 WITH YOUR MIND.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

same here, i don't know when they will bring LTE in china so i don't care wether apple puts LTE or not… frankly, i'll be in heaven with retina display and better graphics only…