Apple gets more new apps than Android, widens app gap

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Developers will go to where the money is.

And some developers also have pride and they will refuse to release their app on Android if it means releasing an inferior version that is not up to par with the iOS version, due to technical limitations inherent to Android. A perfect example of that is audio apps.

Lets also add that compatibility testing with Apps is much easier on iOS than it is for Android. There is so much fragmentation with Android versions and hardware it can end up being costly to develop for Android if you have to code several versions of the same App.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Who cares about number of apps, as long as Android?s best apps are just as good as iOS?s best apps?

Oh... wait. Never mind.

I?ll go back to painting in Procreate on my iPad.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

Lets also add that compatibility testing with Apps is much easier on iOS than it is for Android. There is so much fragmentation with Android versions and hardware it can end up being costly to develop for Android if you have to code several versions of the same App.

So I wonder how much 'fragmentation' will be introduced to iOS once devices become available in 320x480, 640x960, 1024x768 and 2048x1536?

It's not like iOS apps scale very well to other resolutions, not to mention completely different aspect ratios.

With Android apps the aforementioned 'scaleability' is already integrated into the system, requiring little more than developer implementation.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So I wonder how much 'fragmentation' will be introduced to iOS once devices become available in 320x480, 640x960, 1024x768 and 2048x1536?

It's not like iOS apps scale very well to other resolutions, not to mention completely different aspect ratios.

Seriously? You think having the exact same aspect ratio between all iPhones and all iPads are completely different? You also don't see how the older iPhone and iPad resolutions can scale well despite being exactly double the resolution? The quality of trolling has really taken a fall here lately.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:

With Android apps the aforementioned 'scaleability' is already integrated into the system, requiring little more than developer implementation.

Okay... let's say your right.

What then, in your opinion, is creating the 3 to 1 gap, iOS apps to Android apps?
  • Reply 26 of 82
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I want to hear this as well.

The stage is yours, DaHarder.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Seriously? You think having the exact same aspect ratio between all iPhones and all iPads are completely different? You also don't see how the older iPhone and iPad resolutions can scale well despite being exactly double the resolution? The quality of trolling has really taken a fall here lately.

FACT: An aspect ratio of 3:2 (iPhone/iPod Touch) is NOT the same as 4:3 (iPads), as a result of this difference apps written for 3:2 devices do NOT "scale well' at all to the iPad, therefore two different apps must be developed, requiring them to be listed separately (often as regular iOS apps and HD apps) in the App Store (two separate words).

... and who knows, these new 2048x1536 optimized devices mat even have their own separate App Store section as well - We'll See?

As far as the disparity in the number of apps between the two stores goes: Don't Know and really Don't Care, as long as the apps I need are available on both platforms... Which they certainly are. :-)
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:

FACT: An aspect ratio of 3:2 (iPhone/iPod Touch) is NOT the same as 4:3 (iPads), as a result of this difference apps written for 3:2 devices do NOT "scale well' at all to the iPad, therefore two different apps must be developed, requiring them to be listed separately e.g regular iOS apps and HD apps in the App Store (two separate words).

... and who knows, these new 2048x1536 optimized devices mat even have their own separate App Store section as well - We'll See?

As far as the disparity in the number of apps between the two stores goes: Don't Know and really Don't Care, as long as the apps I need are available on both platforms... Which they certainly are. :-)

So you're not sure?
  • Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

So you're not sure?

As previously posted: "Don't Know and really Don't Care", as there comes a point at which there's so much overlap/redundancy in both these mobile app markets that it no longer matters.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Quote:

No no no... number of apps entering the stores.

Strange response (saying you don't care) considering how much you go on and on about this particular issue.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:

As previously posted: "Don't Know and really Don't Care", as there comes a point at which there's so much overlap/redundancy in both these mobile app markets that it no longer matters.

That's a very poor back peddle routine.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Doubling the resolution on the iPhone did not have that result, so there is really no reason to think that it will be any different for double the resolution on the iPad.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Sorry to go off topic for a second.

I just want to help this guy out.

DaHarder - You've fucked up your signature.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:

FACT: An aspect ratio of 3:2 (iPhone/iPod Touch) is NOT the same as 4:3 (iPads), as a result of this difference apps written for 3:2 devices do NOT "scale well' at all to the iPad, therefore two different apps must be developed, requiring them to be listed separately (often as regular iOS apps and HD apps) in the App Store (two separate words).

I clearly stated that the iPhone's 2 resolutions use the same aspect ratio and the iPad's soon to be two resolutions use the same aspect ratio. I didn't say the iPad and iPhone use the same aspect ratio.

Developers can choose to code for the iPhone/Touch, iPad, or both with the controls for making an Universal app. This effort to make it easy for developers to create unique apps for both platforms is not fragmentation, but collaboration. Developers can simply make an iPad app if they want and thy won't even see it on the App Store app on their iPhone.

That's not fragmentation, that planning. There is no fear that you'll download an iPad app thinking it was for the iPhone. There is no complex research needed to find out if the app will work on your device. With Android apps you have to deal with actual fragmentation; something we all know you won't acknowledge.

There is no accountability between Google, the vendors and developers. If there is then tell me why ICS is only installed on 1% of Android-based phones despite the majority of Android-based phones being under 2 years old. It's the Wild Wild West with the vendors playing the evil landowner developers as the unhappy Indians ready to scalp you, and Google as syphilis.

There are 170,000 apps for iPad. These apps have a specific UI designed around and for the iPad's display. These UIs don't appear on the iPhone. It's not a phone OS forced into a tablet, it's the foundation of iOS designed for the iPad not in spite of.

As for your other silly claim that 480x320 resolution apps don't work on the 960x640 iPhone 4/4S, well here's a little secret.. they do. Apple went out of their way to wait on updating on the iPhone's display until they could make one pixel be represented by 4 pixel so that the UI will look as good as the previous phones but so much better when you update your images. This is called thinking ahead. This is called planning. This is considering the developer and the user when designing your products instead of cutting ties as soon they hand over their money.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As for your other silly claim that 480x320 resolution apps don't work on the 960x640 iPhone 4/4S,

Hmm... Don't lash out at me because your "the exact same aspect ratio between all iPhones and all iPads" was wrought with ambiguity, and I never once claimed that "480x320 resolution apps don't work on the 960x640 iPhone 4/4S" either - That was your misinterpretation.

Anyway... Have a pleasant Valentine's Day, as I surely will as I head off to a wonderful dinner with the wife.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    There's this weightlifting program I do called Stronglifts 5x5 and they recently came out with a kick-ass app to help you track reps and sets, plus break times and it logs everything.

Dude came out and said, flat out, that he won't be doing an Android app due to fragmentation. Has no desire to be in the app business other than to support his workout plan with the best platform out there (OK that last part of the comment was mine).

Ouch!!
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:

Hmm... Don't lash out at me because your "the exact same aspect ratio between all iPhones and all iPads" was wrought with ambiguity, and I never once claimed that "480x320 resolution apps don't work on the 960x640 iPhone 4/4S" either - That was your misinterpretation.

Anyway... Have a pleasant Valentine's Day, as I surely will as I head off to a wonderful dinner with the wife.

[/Center]I guess he didn't understand the signature thing.[/Center]
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:

1) I purposely put the word "all" before iPhone and before iPad to separate the objects further.

2) You wrote, "It's not like iOS apps scale very well to other resolutions" and "these new 2048x1536 optimized devices [may] even have their own separate App Store section" indicating you have absolutely no idea why Apple is choosing to wait until they can double the resolutions.

3) Apple could have made the iPad 2's resolution about 160ppi instead of the iPad 1's 132ppi to match other tablets hitting the market. They didn't. There is a reason why. That's so apps don't have to be optimized for the new display before they release it. iOS for iPad will be optimized and there will be plenty of Apple's App Store apps that will likely be ready to drop almost immediately but it doesn't matter if Words with Friends HD takes a couple months because it will still look at least as good as it did on the iPad 1 and 2.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

There's this weightlifting program I do called Stronglifts 5x5 and they recently came out with a kick-ass app to help you track reps and sets, plus break times and it logs everything.

Dude came out and said, flat out, that he won't be doing an Android app due to fragmentation. Has no desire to be in the app business other than to support his workout plan with the best platform out there (OK that last part of the comment was mine).

Ouch!!

I surely wouldn't want to have that many different types of devices to debug for especially knowing that I'll make a lot less money despite the effort. I can see WP7 or Bada gaining traction in the middle of the road sales a Android gets deprecated to the low-end of the market previously reserved for feature phones.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Didn't Eric Schmidt say awhile ago that Android developers would ssurpass iOS in six months?

Fragmentation is real, despite the fandroids saying otherwise. They will say things like "you can target all versions of Android in your build so your App will run on anything". That's only partially true. As I've stated countless times (and still it fails to sink in for some people), if you write a very basic App using the lowest common denominator of the Android feature set, then yes - it will run on anything.

But who wants to write simple Apps that can't take advantage of the latest hardware or all the features in ICS? What's the point of even having a Galaxy Nexus if all the Apps have been targeted so as to "run on anything"?

App developers want to create state-of-the-art Apps with features that set them apart from all the usual mundane Apps. And when you decide to write those Apps is when you will find out that fragmentation is very real in Android.