Apple gets more new apps than Android, widens app gap

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I surely wouldn't want to have that many different types of devices to debug for especially knowing that I'll make a lot less money despite the effort. I can see WP7 or Bada gaining traction in the middle of the road sales a Android gets deprecated to the low-end of the market previously reserved for feature phones.

In a way, the ejaculation of Android followed by a Heart Attack is kind of a sad thing to watch...
  • Reply 42 of 82

Here's my prediction for mobile OS market share circa 2015:

-- 62 % iOS

-- 13 % Web OS... yes WebOS

-- 08 % Win 8/9/X

-- 07 % Android

-- 10 % Other

• Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

-- 62 % iOS

-- 08 % Win 8/9/X

-- 07 % Android

-- 10 % Other

Slapppy's not gonna like that.

Props for thinking WebOS might be picked up by someone competent, but I would personally switch its percentage with Windows Phone and up that by ten or so.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Slapppy's not gonna like that.

Props for thinking WebOS might be picked up by someone competent, but I would personally switch its percentage with Windows Phone and up that by ten or so.

Would not that I offend Slappy... HA!

HP will reincorporate WebOS... Better going forward than WOA... and low-cost license to Phones/Tablets in competition to Win 8/9/X and Android'

HP is the only one who can consolidate [the meaningful apps on] Win Desktop and Win ARM... Whoa!
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

-- 62 % iOS

-- 08 % Win 8/9/X

-- 07 % Android

-- 10 % Other

I'm thinking Android will be higher simply because the new feature phones will be counted in with the smartphones. I also think Samsung's Bada could have a good share of the market.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    After a year of listening to gloating Android love boys, it is beginning to appear more and more obvious that Android is starting to look more and more like Linux, which for a few years everyone was sure would conquer the world. Funny how the only one who believed in integrated products, at the time, was Steve Jobs.

Within the last 3 months something changed. Just about everyone I saw with a cell phone in the malls during December had the little Apple against their ear. In Southern California all I see around campus's are students with iPhones. During all this time I have only seen one Samsung Galaxy, and due to their size they shouldn't be hard to miss.

Simply, if everyone seems to have iPhones, everyone will want an iPhone. (The beauty of having one iconic logo on the back of the phone, rather than two to three crappy logos cluttering the front)

Maybe finally on AI you can truthfully say how crappy Android phones are, and there won't be five idiots who bought the mentioned crappy phone arguing that their phone isn't so bad.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: An aspect ratio of 3:2 (iPhone/iPod Touch) is NOT the same as 4:3 (iPads), as a result of this difference apps written for 3:2 devices do NOT "scale well' at all to the iPad, therefore two different apps must be developed, requiring them to be listed separately (often as regular iOS apps and HD apps) in the App Store (two separate words).

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. There is something called universal iOS apps?! Ever heard of them?! When Apple released the iPad they included a feature in Xcode that transform the iPhone UI to iPad UI. Developers can either release one app that works on both devices or separate apps for iPhone and iPad.

Quote:

... and who knows, these new 2048x1536 optimized devices mat even have their own separate App Store section as well - We'll See?

Why separate app store? Apple already have a system for that. All what developers need to do is include HiRes images within their apps and iOS will use the correct graphics based on the device use. This what Apple did when they released the retina display.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm thinking Android will be higher simply because the new feature phones will be counted in with the smartphones. I also think Samsung's Bada could have a good share of the market.

Oh, right, to clarify, you DID mean just phones, didn't you, Dick?

Because if we're including tablets in that, I agree with your existing percentages completely, just add the "Other" directly to "iOS".
  • Reply 49 of 82
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm thinking that even 7% might be too high for Android in 2015. Shouldn't they have been sued out of existence by then? Some of the big lawsuits, like Oracle's haven't even gotten underway, and Apple is just getting warmed up.

Since Android is all about marketshare and selling phones for not much profit, there might soon come a day when it will be too expensive and it won't make business sense to pay all of the licenses per phone to all of the companies who will have their share due to them. How much does Microsoft receive per phone again?

I also don't believe that Android will be able to attract many repeat customers, as opposed to people who buy Apple's devices.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    I'm very delighted to read this. I find it very annoying to the point of nauseating how the Fandroids are much, much, much worse now then the Apple fanboys ever were. Nothing would please me more than Android or at least Google to suffer some sort of big blow that causes them to lose significant market share in the Smartphone market. Is that a bad attitude to have?
  • Reply 51 of 82
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post

Is that a bad attitude to have?

I can assure you that, no it is not.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    OMG is this seriously a topic of discussion? Do we really need to care if one OS has 560,000 apps and the other has "only" 500,000? Do we need 765 fart apps?

Apple has enough apps. Android has enough apps. Windows needs to catch up, and RIM might as well just file Chapter 7 now. End of story.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post

OMG is this seriously a topic of discussion? Do we really need to care if one OS has 560,000 apps and the other has "only" 500,000? Do we need 765 fart apps?

Apple has enough apps. Android has enough apps. Windows needs to catch up, and RIM might as well just file Chapter 7 now. End of story.

Really? "Fart apps"? You seriously need to update your talking points. You could at least go with "don't hold it that way", but honestly all the cool kids are doubling down with "made by slaves."
  • Reply 54 of 82
    App store size will only matter when you have over 250,000 apps on your device. It does not matter how large the store is so long as it has the apps you will use. Anything more is irrelevant.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

App store size will only matter when you have over 250,000 apps on your device. It does not matter how large the store is so long as it has the apps you will use. Anything more is irrelevant.

I gotta disagree on this one. More apps give more options and selections. There may be an app that I could or would use but how would I know it is exists unless somone tells me or I see it in the App Store? IIRC, the availability of apps is one reason people are jumping of of Blackberry's ship.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If and when Google can consolidate its partner handset makers and create a unified store that is as simple and monetarily integrated as iTunes, Android may well be the new industry leader.

See, Sapppppy was right!
  • Reply 57 of 82
    How many app developers make their apps for Android first... and then for iOS?

Or... how many make Android-exclusive apps?

That would be an interesting barometer for this whole topic.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Didn't Eric Schmidt say awhile ago that Android developers would ssurpass iOS in six months?

Only a fool believes Eric Schmidt. His RDF is as limp as my friend's dick.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I was at a meeting this evening, one of the guys showed off an App called Autodance which I downloaded on my iPhone 4 while the guy next to me downloaded to his Galaxy S 2.

We both started the Apps together, a pretty dumb but amusing App which involved taking four video clips which get stitched together with a soundtrack added.

So I'm sitting their with the rendering happening with funky animations going on and amusing descriptions on the screen while a loading bar filled up, while he was looking at a blank screen with preparing and a loading circle going round.

My iPhone 4 was finished and I had the clip playing a full fifteen seconds before the SG 2 had finished.

I was asking about the dual core etc, etc and he was very quiet, we'd already had a few discussions on the merits and faults of both systems but at that moment, the penny dropped, the proof was in his hand, right in front of his eyes.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, right, to clarify, you DID mean just phones, didn't you, Dick?

Because if we're including tablets in that, I agree with your existing percentages completely, just add the "Other" directly to "iOS".

And both ignore that Android is intended and built for more than just smartphone and tablet use. Those other uses in the home, on the road, industry and other yet-to-announced products and services could end up being the much more valuable Android segment.