Average paid Android apps are 2.5 times more expensive than iPhone apps

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The problem is from what I 've heard from a lot of insiders that even pros who make good apps can't earn a decent living out of the app store. It's easy to rationalize this as people who make poor apps don't deserve money, but had you actually developed a pretty good app that the race to the bottom in prices as well as the fierce competition and 30% apple cut wasn't even allowing you to put food on the table you wouldn't be saying this.

They make a whole lot more than they do on Android and nearly infinitely more than they did before the App store. The App store has ot caused any mobile developers to make less money. Perhaps some publishers like handgo, it not the actual developers.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Based on this post I will guess your age between 18 and 21 and have not really experienced life. If someone "knows" they are talented then 9 x out of 10 they are not and are a legend in their own minds. True, success does not equate talent but true talent will prove successful. A person doesn't just wake up talented one day and know they will be successful, if they could life would be so easy.

Well I am 40 and can assure you that most truly talented people recognize their own talent. It is silly and absurd to believe otherwise. Your argument is pointless. Sure most people who think they are talented probably aren't, but everyone who is talented "knows" they are. You don't think Michael Jordan or Michael Phelps know they have talent? I have heard them both say they have talent.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Even I knew that it was going to be wildly successful. I'm pretty sure that Apple and Steve Jobs knew that too.

There are those who are clueless and then there are those who are smart. The first time that I saw the iPad, I instantly knew that it was going to be huge, as in extremely huge.

There were also those who instantly declared it a flop. Those people are clueless losers and they do not possess the skills to succeed, as their judgement is horrible.

And before you go lowering my age anymore when you write your next post, might I remind you that you spell like a 13 year old?

It really is silly. Don't these age remarks count as personal attacks. They are certainly intended as insults. Probably best to ignore him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I am estonished by what some people write and believe. If Apple knew so much, what happened with all the things that didn't do so well? Why didn't they know about those products? Or did they just choose to produce them anyway? I take back the 18-21 age guess. I'm thinking 15-17 at best which explains this.

Of course I won't. Is there any statement you won't try to twist around? You realize you have looked more and more foolish with every statement. It is like you are screaming "I am not smarter than a 5th grader." If the people you are debating are all children, why are all of your responses logical fallacies and ad hominem attacks?
  • Reply 64 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    And just now the morning news show on the local CBS affiliate station referred to this "analysis" but without reference to how it was done (top 100 apps, etc). They simply said, unequivocally, that Android apps cost twice as much as iPhone apps, inferring that this was on an individual app basis.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    I recently visit the Android Market homepage and those prices are pretty steep. I've never own a Android device, but if I was a Android owner I would definitely minimize my spending on the Android Market.

However, the Android Market is growing quite nicely and that's a good sign for the Android users.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Well I am 40 and can assure you that most truly talented people recognize their own talent. It is silly and absurd to believe otherwise. Your argument is pointless. Sure most people who think they are talented probably aren't, but everyone who is talented "knows" they are. You don't think Michael Jordan or Michael Phelps know they have talent? I have heard them both say they have talent.

Agreed, over time, through hard work their talent came to light, they didn't just wake up one day and say "I have talent", just like people don't wake up one day and say "I have no talent". It is a process, not an enlightenment.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    Weird, because as an app dev for both platforms I made my Android app cheaper than the iPhone app. And for the very same reasons, but my thinking is, if Android users could possibly get my app else where for free, making it cheap makes it more likely they might pay for it, while with Apple, they have to jailbreak and hope they can pirate it or they just pay for it. So if I have a better chance of a sell with Apple, hike the price up.

Win for me.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:

Of course I won't. Is there any statement you won't try to twist around? You realize you have looked more and more foolish with every statement. It is like you are screaming "I am not smarter than a 5th grader." If the people you are debating are all children, why are all of your responses logical fallacies and ad hominem attacks?

Not sure who looks more foolish? Someone that maintains the same point of view regardless of the popular opinion or someone who posts about ad hominem attacks and then goes on to post ad hominem attacks? Hypocrisy at its finest.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This study is silly. The don't study like for like. They don't take into account the differences in the ecosystems. For example, look at popular apps like Tasker (CA$ 5.99) or Beautiful Widgets (CA$ 2.60). The former has been downloaded between 100 000 - 500 000 times. The latter has been downloaded between 1 million - 5 million times. BW could never exist on iOS. I am skeptical that an app like Tasker would be allowed. They are clearly popular and expensive (by paid app standards). And clearly they are in demand. Look at apps like Swiftkey, Camera Zoom FX, ADWlauncher, AirSync by Doubletwist, etc. All popular apps. All costing several dollars. And most would never be allowed on iOS. And this study will hold it against Android that these apps are successful at selling their wares for more than a dollar.

What kind of double standard is this? When the apps are cheaper, it's apparently because Android users are cheaper. And when popular apps sell at higher prices, there's something wrong with Android because it's too expensive?

The study also completely misses the issue of supply and demand in each ecosystem and market saturation. Android has fewer paid apps. And gaming has only recently taken off. Given that there's less competition, this means that developers with popular apps can get away with charging more. Meanwhile, $0.99 is becoming the de facto ceiling on iOS. And given the volume of apps, you're pretty much dead unless you get featured. The situation is admittedly not great for Android users who want those apps. But till there's more competition in the Android ecosystem, this is a great situation for developers. They have less competition and more market flexibility. And perhaps even a bigger pool to play in this year if Android does surpass the iOS installed base in 2012.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

This study is silly.

Good post Jetz. Nice to see that some people are still capable of independent critical thinking.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Good post Jetz. Nice to see that some people are still capable of independent critical thinking.

Thanks. So many people here accuse me of being a troll if I take a contrarian viewpoint based on the personal experience of using Android and Apple devices.

I own several Apple items and only one Android device. Unfortunately, for some that's just not towing the party line enough.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdrianJNYC View Post

I recently visit the Android Market homepage and those prices are pretty steep. I've never own a Android device, but if I was a Android owner I would definitely minimize my spending on the Android Market.

However, the Android Market is growing quite nicely and that's a good sign for the Android users.

If you look at the price of an iPhone the price looks pretty steep.

What is your point? You pay what you believe something is worth, if you think it is too expensive don't buy it
  • Reply 73 of 84
    Quote:

This study is silly. The don't study like for like. They don't take into account the differences in the ecosystems. For example, look at popular apps like Tasker (CA$ 5.99) or Beautiful Widgets (CA$ 2.60). The former has been downloaded between 100 000 - 500 000 times. The latter has been downloaded between 1 million - 5 million times. BW could never exist on iOS. I am skeptical that an app like Tasker would be allowed. They are clearly popular and expensive (by paid app standards). And clearly they are in demand. Look at apps like Swiftkey, Camera Zoom FX, ADWlauncher, AirSync by Doubletwist, etc. All popular apps. All costing several dollars. And most would never be allowed on iOS. And this study will hold it against Android that these apps are successful at selling their wares for more than a dollar.

How many of those downloads occurred when those apps where sold for $0.10 during the Android promotion?
  • Reply 74 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I'm sorry, but just because you have a good app doesn't mean you're going to set the world on fire and make more cash than a rap star. The app store is huge and developers are going to need to take marketing seriously. Want to know a developer making money from iOS? Google. It makes more from it than Android.

Quote:

They make a whole lot more than they do on Android and nearly infinitely more than they did before the App store. The App store has ot caused any mobile developers to make less money. Perhaps some publishers like handgo, it not the actual developers.

I am sorry too that both of you seem to be replying to ghosts and not me. Wo talked about rap star money? We are talking about people not being able to put food n the table. And who said anything about google? Both apple and google are talking advantage of the average app store joe or Jane developer. They should both be selectively subsidising devs if you ask me... Oh yeah but it's about free market economies... The market is not so free though when you have e Chinese militia counteracting revolts so you can make your products in china for peanuts as mega corporations as apple do...

@Wovel. I never drew comparisons with android, as for before the app store, well there was no real touch tablet market mature enough was there? In any case don't take the discussion where you want, the app store has been a very good strategy but nowhere close the huge success and money making story for devs like apple would like us to think, at the end of the day, the vast majority of devs barely go by from the app store and they put a lot of work and creative effort and actually make the product the best seller that it is. While apple touts a reminders app (wow the amount of development that went into it) but they haven't gotten around to releasing a decent in house maps app despite the millions they ve throughn behind start apps, the average dev. Who s still making only a decent living at best, is helping them sell tons of iPads and iPhones... Just saying so we put things into perspective because the idolatrous attitude here towards apple esp. By a few gung ho posters has started to get on my nerves.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All your examples prove that Apple was unique when they entered the market.

That....was my point...
  • Reply 76 of 84
    I may be an outlier having both iPhone 4, a LG Optimus 2X and Motorola Xoom 3G (all purchased outright). I wont call myself an expert but i do read blogs. developers forums and try to apply the findings onto my devices or helping out a friend or a colleague. Here are my experiences and thoughts:

iOS/Apple Devices:

* I hate iOS cause i have very little option to modify it before going thru the painful JB process.

* I hate iOS for not letting me utilize my screen.

* I love the smoothness and consistent design on iOS

* Games are fun in iOS (i didnt say graphics, thts a whole diff story)

* I tend to purchase apps and games if I like them.

* i was about to purchase an iPAD but then finding out i need to purchase the same app for iPAD separately stopped me from doing it.

* I hate it how i hate to convert every little video file into iPhone optimized format.

* I hate depending on iTunes

* I love the sound quality of iPhone 4

* Most of my friends or colleagues found iPhone complicated (i guess thts because they came from a non smartphone background )

Android Devices:

* I love Android cause i can change most settings, even silly little tweaks. (now most ios users think its just the themes, but its not, i can change from cpu frequencies to which storage i want to use by default, then i can chagne which shell i want to use rather than the stock shell in android term the Launcher or even the keyboard)

* I can change my battery, in fact Optimus 2X came with a 1500mAh battery now it has a 2450mAh battery (for iphone 4 i had to purchase mophie), + additional 32GB micro SD.

* I love the idea tht my handset maker doesnt have tight control over my phone (i loved the LG supplied ROM but i love my CyanogenMod7 ROM more)

* I love it when i dont have to rely on iTunes thts on my laptop but i can plug my device anywhere, mount the sd card and load contents onto the device.

Now lets come to the applications part, for which the article is about and forced me to create an account here...

i think i have purchased over $200 softs from each store. while most apps from App Store are games, others being GPS softs, QuickOffice and such.

but from Android Market the apps i purchased are mostly utility software, for example ROM Manager (5.99), Titanium backup (6.03), ADW Launcher EX ($3.10). Tasker (6.34), MX Video Player (5.34) and such. Most games on my android devices are free. Angry Birds, Dragon Fly, Fruit Ninja, Super KO Boxing, Tiki Cart 3D, Zombie Dash and such. I did but some games from Android market just to see if my devices are good enough or not. Some Great apps are free or free to try.

I am not here to argue that games/apps comes first in iOS platforms first or whether they make more money thn android market or not. Android users choose different sort of apps than iOS users. Developers can certainly improve sales if they reduces the price of games and apps in any environment regardless of the platform. About fragmentation issues, I use 3 different android devices, OS 2.2, 3.2.1 and 2.3.7, and i can install the same app everywhere. Do i care about the fragmentation issue as an end user? NO. but i am sure the developers are doing a great job in developing those apps. And before iFans say anything i have the first gen iPod Touch and 2ng Gen iPod touch (1 for my wife and another one is for me ), can i install all the apps tht i can install in my iphone 4 on those devices? why dont you try it out.

Before one fanbase insult the other, please have the courtesy to use wht the others are using. If you cant, dont start calling one another poor or ignorant. Before i challanged my friends, i did buy a macbook to see how the experiences differ.

And i hate these one sided journalism these days. They are becoming so obvious like the politicians.

My findings are simple. while iOS users like simplicity android users love to play around with their devices. why not the haters check both the store for top100 paid app list and see wht type of apps are there and why there is this price difference?

And pls pls grammer and spelling nazis stay away from my post. its not meant for you. Its for techies. and my first language is not English.. So Stay Away
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JUBAiR View Post

* I hate iOS cause i have very little option to modify it before going thru the painful JB process.

Theming and piracy. That's really why jailbreaking exists anymore.

Quote:

* I hate iOS for not letting me utilize my screen.

What does this mean? Could you elaborate?

Quote:

* Games are fun in iOS (i didn't say graphics, tuts a whole diff story)

TimCookOhBoyHereWeGo.png (note to our long-time readers, that's not my naming convention for my actual images)

Quote:

* i was about to purchase an iPAD but then finding out i need to purchase the same app for iPAD separately stopped me from doing it.

You found out wrong. You don't have to do that at all! iPhone/iPod touch applications work just fine on an iPad, and there are thousands of applications designed for both natively.

Quote:

* I hate it how i hate to convert every little video file into iPhone optimized format.

You don't have to do this, either.

Quote:

* I can change my battery, in fact Optimus 2X came with a 1500mAh battery now it has a 2450mAh battery

A little jab here: yes, because you HAVE to do this to get through a day.

Quote:

* I love the idea that my handset maker doesn't have tight control over my phone (i loved the LG supplied ROM but i love my CyanogenMod7 ROM more)

You'd rather the telecoms, then?

Quote:

And before iFans say anything i have the first gen iPod Touch and 2ng Gen iPod touch (1 for my wife and another one is for me ), can i install all the apps tht i can install in my iphone 4 on those devices? why dont you try it out.

Not sure why you'd even bring this up when Android devices are notorious for not being allowed to ever officially upgrade from the software on which they were shipped while iOS devices get three years' worth of updates. Yes, the user can create his own software made from newer builds of Android, but for 95% of people, that's just not what they want to do with their phones.

Quote:

Before one fan base insult the other, please have the courtesy to use why the others are using. If you cant, dont start calling one another poor or ignorant. Before i challenged my friends, i did buy a macbook to see how the experiences differ.

Indeed, and you've made some great points here on both sides. A great first post, if there ever was one.

Quote:

And pls pls grammar and spelling nazis stay away from my post. its not meant for you. Its for techies. and my first language is not English.. So Stay Away

And your English is perfectly acceptable; don't worry about that. Heck, your English is better than that of many people who profess to be able to write it natively!
  • Reply 78 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

How many of those downloads occurred when those apps where sold for $0.10 during the Android promotion?

Are you trolling or are you serious? All of those apps were well known and sold in the hundreds of thousands or millions (like Beautiful Widgets) well before the Holiday Promo (which happened weeks before anybody got an Android device as a Christmas gift). And some, like Tasker, were never included in the sale. In reality, most of the apps featured during the sale were really popular, which meant, most people (excepting new users) already had them. I seriously doubt that sale really impacted their bottom line. Maybe for a few of the small game app developers who got featured....
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I am sorry too that both of you seem to be replying to ghosts and not me. Wo talked about rap star money? We are talking about people not being able to put food n the table. And who said anything about google? Both apple and google are talking advantage of the average app store joe or Jane developer. They should both be selectively subsidising devs if you ask me... Oh yeah but it's about free market economies... The market is not so free though when you have e Chinese militia counteracting revolts so you can make your products in china for peanuts as mega corporations as apple do...

@Wovel. I never drew comparisons with android, as for before the app store, well there was no real touch tablet market mature enough was there? In any case don't take the discussion where you want, the app store has been a very good strategy but nowhere close the huge success and money making story for devs like apple would like us to think, at the end of the day, the vast majority of devs barely go by from the app store and they put a lot of work and creative effort and actually make the product the best seller that it is. While apple touts a reminders app (wow the amount of development that went into it) but they haven't gotten around to releasing a decent in house maps app despite the millions they ve throughn behind start apps, the average dev. Who s still making only a decent living at best, is helping them sell tons of iPads and iPhones... Just saying so we put things into perspective because the idolatrous attitude here towards apple esp. By a few gung ho posters has started to get on my nerves.

Errr, if you can't see the connection between having a solid business/marketing plan and "putting food on the table" then you should exit the conversation now. Throwing an app up in either platforms' markets is no guarantee of earning a living and that's neither company's fault. And I brought up Google because you had stated that developers weren't making money and that is clearly not true as Google is certainly making money on ios along with many others. It's almost like you feel that people are simply entitled to success and if it doesn't happen it's automatically someone else's fault.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    Quote:

Are you trolling or are you serious? All of those apps were well known and sold in the hundreds of thousands or millions (like Beautiful Widgets) well before the Holiday Promo (which happened weeks before anybody got an Android device as a Christmas gift). And some, like Tasker, were never included in the sale. In reality, most of the apps featured during the sale were really popular, which meant, most people (excepting new users) already had them. I seriously doubt that sale really impacted their bottom line. Maybe for a few of the small game app developers who got featured....

Wow, typical AI response to anything, not matter what the question "are you trolling?"

No, it is a serious question, several of the apps you listed were in the Google promotion, I purchased several of them myself for NZ$0.10, I imagine a lot of people would have purchased them at that price.