Google: Android has 450K apps, 850K devices activated daily

Comments

• Reply 101 of 162
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Does anyone know if a user is counted as as activation again if their Android phone breaks and they get a replacement one?

Just about every person I know (more than one) that owns an Android phone has went through several replacements simply because of its shoddy quality.

Note to self: Cheap junk outsells pricier models.

The quality of the phone has nothing to do with the OS running on it, that is a manufacturer problem.
  • Reply 102 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

nobody really needs a Mac, iPhone or iPad.

Some here claim that they would rather be dead than be deprived of Apple products.
  • Reply 103 of 162
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    How?s the app quality doing on Android? Where are the best-of-breed experiences like GarageBand, Procreate, Pages, Numbers, and Infinity Blade? What?s the proportion of shovelware and malware on that list? I suspect Google let more of that through than Apple does. And how many are optimized to be truly great at tablet sizes?
  • Reply 104 of 162
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If you like those, you might be interested in Asus' newest innovation, the Padfone. It is a smartphone that clips inside a tablet, which in turn has a keyboard dock.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...iw=863&bih=479

Thanks sweety but I am currently in a hotel room after spending a full day at Mobile Congress. I'm in Spain right now, oh and yes I got to play with the new Asus, phone/tablet thingy. Pretty nice, no price as of yet though.
  • Reply 105 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

the array of a gazillion Android smartphones is enough to make any normal consumer turn and run away.

But they don't. Instead, they buy one.

There is the iPhone to fill the gap for the easily confused.
  • Reply 106 of 162
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

MotoHTCSamsungLGAsusZTEAcerSony outsells Apple....

Clever!

I like what you did there!
  • Reply 107 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google appears to have bigger plans for Android than simply a smartphone/tablet OS.

Definitely looks like it. They want to show how it's possible to stuff several billion dollars in a toilet and flush it down. As of now they have possibly managed to demo this feature with about $2-3 billion. But hold on for Giant Toilet (beta) where they will attempt to flush $12.5 billion at one shot!

It is mind boggling how much Google has achieved with Android. They have managed to alienate almost the entire tech world. Someone should ascribe a value to how much Google's image has taken a beating since Android. And they run a humongous risk that Apple decides to enter search directly - as opposed to beating around Google with Siri. They run risk that Apple will mandate iAd as the only advertising option for the AppStore.

Lots of people think Apple can't do something like that - but it is just making sure that Apple is compensated for its bandwidth and hosting costs by all developers who make money from their apps. Either by sales or by ads. Once iAd becomes solid, Apple can easily pull this off.
  • Reply 108 of 162
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Apple doesn't give a full break down of the devices it sells. Please provide the list of iPhone sales per model provided by Apple

I believe that you're correct, and I stand corrected on that point. Apple gives quarterly sales figures for iPhones total. The figures I was referring to are not provided by Apple, but by other firms which broke down the sales figures for the iPhone in quarter 4, which showed how much each particular model iPhone sold.

There is no such data for Android at all that I've seen. Not from Google and not from anybody else.
  • Reply 109 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I know Google and Android exist, but I can only name three phones using that OS and two are from Samesung. That pretty much sums up how fvcked up the Android market is. No one can remember the damn names of all those phones, much less who makes them and what OS is on it or when it will get the latest one, if ever.

Nobody I have ever met can remember anything except "I like Apple...Give me Apple."

Case closed.
  • Reply 110 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't want to live in a world that only has Apple products.

Within a decade, you may not want to live.
  • Reply 111 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

How?s the app quality doing on Android? Where are the best-of-breed experiences like GarageBand, Procreate, Pages, Numbers, and Infinity Blade? What?s the proportion of shovelware and malware on that list? I suspect Google let more of that through than Apple does. And how many are optimized to be truly great at tablet sizes?

Well besides Apple branded apps most popular applications for iOS are available for Android. There are plenty if really nice alternatives to Pages. The music creation apps yes a few areas are still lacking but they are getting better, in fact that is the only reason why I still have a iPad. Listen I need things like a file manager that can access the entire drive of the device, a fully functional terminal with, Pearl, PHP, Python, Bash, CSH, PHP. I dual boot my Asus Slider to Ubuntu 11.10 and Android 4.0. I Hate to sound like a troll but Android 4.03 is a much better tablet OS then iOS in almost every way. I have both a iPad 64 3g and Asus Slider sitting here right now.

Oh and this malware thing, blown out of poportition if you install any app from a unknown name publisher for any gizmo maker you will find yourself in trouble. I have never, ever ran into any problems with such threats. Besides, Google is now currently actively searching for such things in their market so malware/shovelware is mostly a thing of the past.
  • Reply 112 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Within a decade, you may not want to live.

Oh my gosh can you imagine, hey honey can you pick me up a box of Apple Tampons on your home, thanks.
  • Reply 113 of 162
    Quote:

Another thing to consider is accessories.

Docks, alarm clocks, boomboxes, all those musical interfaces that plug into the Apple Dock Connector, etc.

There are tons of those things available for the iPhone.
  • Reply 114 of 162
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

While they are at it, why doesn't Apple update Pages or Numbers for the Mac?
  • Reply 115 of 162
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure you don't. And I don't hate Google and Adobe.

Hate is unhealthy. You will live a lot longer without it, especially true when you hate something that you use on a daily basis. Don't lie we know you use Adobe and Google products and services all the time. Denial is almost as bad for your health as hate.
  • Reply 116 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Another thing to consider is accessories.

Docks, alarm clocks, boomboxes, all those musical interfaces that plug into the Apple Dock Connector, etc.

There are tons of those things available for the iPhone.

this is where google is really screwing up. they must make motorola a 'google' branded company and put out a 'android standard' phone. if they do away with the vast selection of moto crap, focus on 2 smartphones and a couple of tablets they really could take off.

let the others 'htc', samsung, etc go with windows or stay with android, but if google wants to make any big progress and really take on the iphone....
  • Reply 117 of 162
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So I just skimmed all of your posts on this forum, and not a single one of them had anything positive to say about Apple. They are 100 % negative. So, conclusion is that you're a fucking blatant troll, and I'm not interested in your response, since they will all be 100% predictable. Why does someone who hates a company so much and has absolutely nothing good to say about them or their products post constantly on the a fansite forum? Why don't you visit and post in forums based on companies you actually like? I'd challenge anyone here to view your post history and argue otherwise. Oh and nice troll name. How pathetic.

Fuck I love Slurpy's style. Does this shit comes as an ice-cream flavor because it would sell a lot!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

I happen to own Apple stock, btw.

Utter bullshit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

I don't hate Apple. Nothing more to it.

I find this bit extremely interesting.

When asked that question, every troll replies in an extremely similar manner - a single, short sentence with absolutely no elaboration. Kind of like a child when they tell a lie.

I severely regret not having studied more psychology at school. It could probably throw more light on what is happening here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

my husband was actually successful once in sucking his own you know

You do realize that you just told everybody that you're a woman who's husband feels the need to pleasure himself, don't you? That's way more information than many of us probably wanted to hear, and a smidge off topic.

Having a few drinks while at your Spanish hotel?

Could we steer clear of your sex life and tampons?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

While they are at it, why doesn't Apple update Pages or Numbers for the Mac?

Watch this space soon.
  • Reply 118 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hate is unhealthy. You will live a lot longer without it, especially true when you hate something that you use on a daily basis. Don't lie we know you use Adobe and Google products and services all the time. Denial is almost as bad for your health as hate.

Where have I ever said I haven't used them? Who says I can't hate them if I use their stuff? I hate gas, but I put it in my van all the same.
  • Reply 119 of 162
    According to Andy Rubin, there are 800 Android devices. From that 800, may be only less than 20 that is comparable with iPhone 4. But people just compare the activation number which is not right comparison.
  • Reply 120 of 162
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I hate gas, but I put it in my van all the same.

Sounds about right. Is your van down by ther river under the over pass? Because you sound a lot like a motivational speaker about to crash a coffee table.