Case makers plan for Apple 'iPad HD,' Best Buy expects accessories March 11

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Ahead of next week's anticipated iPad unveiling, case makers are gearing up with parts for a so-called "iPad HD," while Best Buy's system shows third-party accessories will arrive on March 11.

Alleged part listings from accessory companies Griffin and Belkin obtained by Gizmodo both refer to an "iPad HD (3)." The listings could be an indication of what Apple intends to call its third-generation iPad, though it's also entirely possible that the case makers are just guessing until Apple makes any name official.

Generally referred to as an "iPad 3," Apple's next touchscreen tablet is expected to feature a high-resolution Retina Display that will pack more pixels than a 1080p television. That would justify the "iPad HD" name, if Apple were to in fact use that moniker.

Separately, Best Buy's internal inventory system is showing a handful of third-party "iPad 3" accessories that are scheduled to arrive on March 11, just four days after Apple's media event next week. The inventory listings at Best Buy, sent to TUAW, include ZAGG's InvisibleSHIELD device protectors.

The Best Buy listings make no mention of the "iPad HD" name used by Griffin and Belkin, and turned up in the system via a search for "ipad3." In addition to the name, the arrival date is also likely to be a placeholder, as March 11 is a Sunday.

Last year, before it was officially announced, Apple's fifth-generation iPhone was generally known as the mythical "iPhone 5." But Apple chose instead to call the device the iPhone 4S, as it features an external design largely identical to the iPhone 4.

The third-generation iPad is also expected to look very similar to its predecessor, the iPad 2, as numerous leaked components show a device with the same form factor, aside from a slightly thicker body measuring 0.81 millimeters larger than the iPad 2.

Whatever name the next iPad has, it is expected to feature high-speed 4G LTE data connectivity and a faster internal processor, in addition to the high-resolution Retina Display. Apple's iPad media event will begin next Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Whatever name the next iPad has...

I find that funny the way iPhone has its numbers on the box like my 'iPhone 4' box, but the iPad 2 box doesn't have a 2 on it. The iPad 3 should have a 'iPad 3' on the box.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Watch this new iPad come out and if it's 2 or 3 mm wider or narrower in any direction... these case makers will be screwed.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I kinda like the iPad HD name. I started disliking the numbers after 3GS.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

If they just went with the generation numbers, we wouldn't have this problem.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    iPad Hd makes sense to me. Specially in view of the 'we have something to you really have to see' invite. It is all about the screen, and it is an easy moniker which focuses the public's attention on the screen, the big differentiator.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    they should just call it iPad.

the iMac is the iMac, the MacBook Pro is jus the MacBook Pro.

let the consumer understand what the differences are.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

I'm not a fan of the numbers either but I'm not crazy about HD either. HD is too synonymous for the average person with 720 and 1080 widescreen for a 4:3 tablet.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I find that funny the way iPhone has its numbers on the box like my 'iPhone 4' box, but the iPad 2 box doesn't have a 2 on it. The iPad 3 should have a 'iPad 3' on the box.

Very true. I never thought about that until last night when I sold my iPad 2. The guy I sold it to kept inspecting the box and the iPad itself to make sure it wasn't a 1st gen iPad. Granted, the camera and the shape of the back were obvious clues that it was an iPad 2, but still, I couldn't help looking at the box and thinking "I'm surprised it doesn't say iPad 2."

I wish the back of Apple devices had no text at all. Just an Apple logo and nothing else.

I won't be surprised at all if Apple names the next version an iPad HD. After all, wasn't the 2nd iPhone the iPhone 3G?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm not a fan of the numbers either but I'm not crazy about HD either. HD is too synonymous for the average person with 720 and 1080 widescreen for a 4:3 tablet.

Yes but the average person thinks HD is the end-all and better than what eyes can see. But then again I think I see your point; do we want that class of people buying Apple? I thought that's why the world has Android.

Yeah - I said it.

Case in point.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Could be for Google's driverless car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

Oh no, Apple and Google are having a neighborhood spat.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Could be for Google's driverless car.

Wrong thread?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Apple will be sued if they use HD. Doesn't matter if it's above 1080p, someone will try on that basis, the basis that it's not full 2k, or the basis that it's not a standard 16:9 resolution and that the "HD" monicker is 'confusing'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

they should just call it iPad.

let the consumer understand what the differences are.

They DON'T though. People don't know squat about it and they couldn't care less. It'd go like this:

"Hi, I'd like to buy an iPhone."

"Okay, do you want this year's model, last year's model, or next year's model?"

"… I just want an iPhone."

"We sell three iPhones."

"What's the difference?"

"One just became two years old, another just became one year old, and the third was just announced."

"Can I get the third one?"

"Not until next week or so."

"Why would I buy last year's model when I can have the new one in a week?"

"You can buy last year's model now. This year's model is also for sale."

"But you said it comes out in a week."

"Officially we don't handle future products, so the current iPhone is still this year's model."

"But you said you sold three, wouldn't they all be current iPhones since you sell them all now?"

"Last year's model is much older. Actually, we still have two years ago's model, too, since next year's model isn't available yet."

"So you have four iPhones."

"No, again, we don't have the new one yet."

"So I can buy three products."

"Yep."

"And they're all called 'iPhone'."

"Yep."

"So what's the difference, besides the price?"

"The iPhone from two years ago is slower and won't run the newest software. It also has a worse camera."

"Why would I want that?"

"It's free on contract."

"Okay, go on.

"The iPhone from last year is slow and will run the software that was just announced but won't be out for a little while. It also has a lower-res camera."

And it's cheaper?"

"Yeah. And then the current iPhone is fast, will run the newest software for a few more years, and has the best camera."

"What about the new iPhone?"

"It's even faster."

"That's it?"

"And runs even newer software?"

"Why would I buy something that can't run the newest software?"

"They can all run the newest software, just the newer ones will get the newest software longer."

And I've realized how much longer I can have this go and don't want to do that, so…
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple will be sued if they use HD. Doesn't matter if it's above 1080p, someone will try on that basis, the basis that it's not full 2k, or the basis that it's not a standard 16:9 resolution and that the "HD" monicker is 'confusing'.

I like "iPad". Maybe put a "The" in front like they do in Columbus, OH.

Edit: or iPad Pro and give up on numbers - make it like the MacBook line.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    There must be an iApple in my Mac.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

How do you know they're not going to go in a entirely new direction?

iPad RAZR-Droid-Sharks-With-Frickin-Lasers-Attached-To-Their-Heads-Root-Me

Now that's a real name.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Edit: or iPad Pro and give up on numbers - make it like the MacBook line.

When every new device created for that year is "Pro", it's not Pro.

And then what, the iPad Pro gets demoted to iPad next year for the next "iPad Pro"? Otherwise you'd have to do iPad Pro 2 next year.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

How do you know they're not going to go in a entirely new direction?

iPad RAZR-Droid-Sharks-With-Frickin-Lasers-Attached-To-Their-Heads-Root-Me

Now that's a real name.

"We're gonna need a bigger [box]."
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When every new device created for that year is "Pro", it's not Pro.

And then what, the iPad Pro gets demoted to iPad next year for the next "iPad Pro"? Otherwise you'd have to do iPad Pro 2 next year.

If they keep the iPad 2 for 2012, make it iPad. There's still the iPhone 4;; there was still the iPhone 3G; there's a MacBook and MacBook Pro every new year.

hell, I can't believe I got sucked into the name thing. . .

edit: Oops, they did abandon the non-Pro MacBook. I'd forgotten.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

"We're gonna need a bigger [box]."

• Reply 20 of 28
    syracusesyracuse Posts: 73member
    I think Apple should go the route of, the artist formerly known as Prince, and use a symbol like:

<$$$>

It also solves the Proview claim...