Switching to iPads saves Vancouver City Council 50K pages a year

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Meanwhile, the Air Force reached the same conclusion as Vancouver - up to 18,000 iPads' worth:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...00-ipad2s.html

I heard that the plan was cancelled last week..

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...rity_concerns/

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog...ssian-software

but your bloomberg article seems more recent..

iPad3 is coming out soon though..
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

"Also can you WALK around with a laptop and use it? "

I don't know.. that's what laptops are for, aren't they? (unless we're talking about one of those 10lb gaming laptops).

"say the council was meeting the press or citizens at a rally or something."

not sure what the council would do, but I guarantee most reporters would show up with either voice recorders or laptops; iPad? Unlikely. I personally haven't met anyone who could type 40+ word/min on iPad's virtual keyboard

(I'm not saying it's impossible, personally, I do around 70-80 wpm on desktop/laptop, 25-35 wpm ipad).

[insult removed]

Read my post I'm saying WALK around and USE it (in my example I said like in a rally), not just carry it around. really I've never seen anybody STAND around and try using a laptops except maybe clueless apple haters? hold it with one palm and type with the other? shoot I thought they were STORKS standing like fools like that.. now I know they are actually apple haters trying to type on a laptop standing up.

(that's why military forces around the world are using iPads as they can be used standing or in other positions more than laptops)

"not sure what the council would do, but I guarantee most reporters would show up with either voice recorders or laptops; iPad"

[insult removed]

you're blinded with apple hate that you can't even understand the simple point I'm putting across. It's not the reporters I'm saying is using the iPads you moron, it's the council members. I'm saying if the reporter in a rally or something asks them a question like "didn't you guys spend 2 million on this in 2009?" the council guy can immediately get his iPad and refer to documents if he can't remember the info offhand "no it was 1.25m and supported by referendum 14-C" etc. Hell a lot better than " can't remember off hand but I don't think thats true. I can get my assistant check the paper files make a photocopy for you, ok?" as the reporter keeps hammering at him for wasting 2 million on camera and council guy looks like a fool for not remembering.

like I said that's why corporations are buying thousands of iPads for their execs, lawyers , doctors etc are using them.

(I give EXAMPLES (like the above) in my posts -- that's why they are so long as I know I'm often trying to communicate with brain dead apple haters - and YET your guys continue to ASTONISH me with your obtuseness... )
  • Reply 63 of 66
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    This is good good!
  • Reply 64 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I heard that the plan was cancelled last week..

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...rity_concerns/

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog...ssian-software

but your bloomberg article seems more recent..

iPad3 is coming out soon though..

The first one was 2800 units for Air Force Special Operations. It was, indeed canceled. At the time of the cancellation, there were questions of what it meant to the larger (18,000 unit) order.

The 18,000 unit order is apparently going forward. While I don't have any evidence to support it, one plausible scenario is that they got a better price for 18,000 units than for 2,800, so Special Ops may simply by through the larger order.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    [insult removed]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

Read my post I'm saying WALK around and USE it (in my example I said like in a rally), not just carry it around. really I've never seen anybody STAND around and try using a laptops except maybe clueless apple haters? hold it with one palm and type with the other? shoot I thought they were STORKS standing like fools like that.. now I know they are actually apple haters trying to type on a laptop standing up.

Just go back read what you just wrote here. Do you seriously think it makes any sense?

Your average politicians or councilmen don't go to rallies to read the Bibles from cover to cover. Their smart phones (or notes on their hands) are sufficient enough for pep rally speeches. They bring their advisors, secretaries, laptops for fielding questions from the press - who in turn also bring their laptops to write & take notes.

Furthermore, Apple also makes laptops like MacBook Pro and MacBook Air - there's nothing stopping the council from using Apple laptops, nor is it what I'm opposing here.

Quote:

(that's why military forces around the world are using iPads as they can be used standing or in other positions more than laptops)

They are replacing reference materials with smaller portable devices/tablet like iPads - and this is where iPad shines. iPad isn't not replacing any note-taking devices like laptops.

Quote:

[insult removed]

(I give EXAMPLES (like the above) in my posts -- that's why they are so long as I know I'm often trying to communicate with brain dead apple haters - and YET your guys continue to ASTONISH me with your obtuseness... )

[insult removed]
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Quote:

[insult removed]

Just go back read what you just wrote here. Do you seriously think it makes any sense?

Your average politicians or councilmen don't go to rallies to read the Bibles from cover to cover. Their smart phones (or notes on their hands) are sufficient enough for pep rally speeches. They bring their advisors, secretaries, laptops for fielding questions from the press - who in turn also bring their laptops to write & take notes.

Furthermore, Apple also makes laptops like MacBook Pro and MacBook Air - there's nothing stopping the council from using Apple laptops, nor is it what I'm opposing here.

They are replacing reference materials with smaller portable devices/tablet like iPads - and this is where iPad shines. iPad isn't not replacing any note-taking devices like laptops.

[insult removed]

man like I said you guys are [insult removed] and self defeating with your arguments:

first you all say iPads are EXPENSIVE then you argue : "They bring their advisors, secretaries, laptops for fielding questions from the press - who in turn also bring their laptops to write & take notes." So bringing all THAT e.g secretaries etc INSTEAD of an iPad is CHEAPER? Using a whole bunch of staff instead of having the notes on hand on an iPad is more cost effective?

and you guys call ME deranged!!!

(dudes as I've given real life examples: that's why many execs, top politicians, lawyers, doctors are carrying iPads around. I see people in debates carrying them around now so that they can quickly refer to a point. )

"They are replacing reference materials with smaller portable devices/tablet like iPads - and this is where iPad shines. iPad isn't not replacing any note-taking devices like laptops."

sure will replace SOME laptops but I never said it replace all (I'm typing this on my desktop and not my iPad) and in my post i wasn't even discussing that issue of iPad relacing all notebooks - I said in my in CERTAIN situations like standing around it's more convenient. I said using a iPad was easier than a laptop in certain situations , you DISAGREED implying that laptops were just as usable and I pointed out how stupid it was to try use a laptop while holding it up in one hand whilst STANDING so stop trying to weasel out of it by changing my point...

and the idea of 'iPad replacing reference material is where iPad shines' was what I was getting at in my FIRST post in the thread so after bashing me you guys are going back to the point I made . i argued that cost savings is not just in replacing paper printing for just the agenda at hand but that time is saved as council members can have huge amounts of data (even previous minutes, historical data etc) always on hand on their iPads and they can answer unexpected queries without running back and printing more stuff.

I'm kind , I don't think you're "irrational and fanatic." like you call me, I think you [insult removed] shoot yourself over and over again with your poorly thought out arguments.

[insult removed]