Verizon Wireless teases 'something is coming' ahead of Apple's iPad event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    iccguyiccguy Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Greece

Greece is an easy whipping boy of the media but hardly cause for major swings in the market, which we have not seen in the last couple of days anyway. The market was barely down yesterday and today we are only looking at a 1 1/2% drop.

Greece has been living beyond their means for generations and now must pay the price. Why Germany, France, et al ever aloud them into the EU is unfathomable to me.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Something is Coming! gee, I wonder, what could it be?

Knowing Verizon, maybe it's a 10GB data plan capped and throttled at 2GB shared family plan for $50, and if you allow us to nickel & dime you for another $10, we'll allow the cap to go up to 5GBs.

All kidding aside, it's probably an LTE (locked to Verizon) iPad at full price.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Interesting this is on Verizon site but nothing from AT&T...yet. Any chance the LTE iPad3 will be exclusive to Verizon? I am sure AT&T will at least get a 3G version.

I say it is possible because Apple knows Verizon has much better LTE coverage and may not want to sale an LTE iPad on a network that has incredibly limited coverage.

Even the smaller cities and some rural areas near me have Verizon LTE coverage already, and coverage is improving rapidly.

It's possible, but so far we have no evidence of Apple allowing or wanting stepped platforms. I'd think if LTE is coming they would offer it AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon with the same HW, but each one flashed for a different baseband.

I do wonder if LTE could be unlocked so you could at least take that between carriers at your convenience. I don't think Apple will have any in-store method of flashing the baseband so I think they'll be boxed at the factory for Verizon, Sprint and AT&T.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Not sure about yesterday but today is Greece, apparently.

If Greece keeps making the world economies slide they'll have to change their spelling to G-r-e-a-s-e. (Still working on that joke)
  • Reply 24 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Samsung Galaxy Tab HD

Fixed.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

lol..

AI, fix your bloody stock ticker.

Huh? Does that mean I'm not up $0.71 to $545.18?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

Huh? Does that mean I'm not up $0.71 to $545.18?

It certainly does.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,711member
    Something is coming?

• Reply 28 of 42
    backdocbackdoc Posts: 18member
    I wouldn't piss on Verizon if they were on fire.

They hate their customers. Do yourself a favor, never use them.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    iccguyiccguy Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backdoc View Post

I wouldn't piss on Verizon if they were on fire.

They hate their customers. Do yourself a favor, never use them.

Don't hold back ... how do you really feel about Verizon??
  • Reply 30 of 42
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

"By submitting my email address I agree that Verizon may contact me via email about the information I've selected above."

Man, I'm glad I read the fine print. I almost submitted my email. I'm looking forward to them letting me know about this but please stay out of my in-box.

So they plan to notify people about this "something" via email and the fine print says "hey we will email you about this" and that worries you? WTF man, how else will they tell you?

Also if this article is still true, this would mean carrier specific iPad versions again. The LTE for AT&T and Verizon (and Sprint) is not compatible. http://www.slashgear.com/verizon-4g-...work-15165401/
  • Reply 31 of 42
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jsyedinak View Post

What has not been mentioned in anything i read is whether this new Ipad model will work globally on Verizon Wireless like the Iphone 4S does. This is much more important to our company than LTE which to me is a downside.

The GSM iPad (ATT, etc) has always been unlocked, so I'd suspect the same would be true for the LTE version. But I've never had reason to look into the details...can you put a 3G GSM SIM card in an LTE device (on the assumption that many places you might go don't yet have LTE networks)? I assume yes, but never checked.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    f you look at the link to the image used, you'll see it is for the HP Pre.

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/homepage/tabs/766x385_HP_pre_NO_optin.jpg

Verizon is simply using the Apple event to gather email addresses from curious/hopeful people they want to get as customers.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    an email ?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guh, just get it over with. Global depression. Bring it on. Anything to end this stupid roller coaster ride of nonsense.

I tend to agree with you on that one. But, AAPL is trading consistent with the last two years-- drops a day before the broader market and recovers a day before. Did have a bit of a panic attack this morning though when it hit $516...

It will be interesting to see where AAPL is in 3 or 4 months.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Why did stocks plummet yesterday and today, anyway?

Iran war (oil prices) and Greece (again). Chine economic slowdown too
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

lol..

AI, fix your bloody stock ticker.

Actually, I like the new look: AI should only post the 52-week high (and in green). Looks nicer....
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Why did stocks plummet yesterday and today, anyway?

Who cares. Great opportunity if one wants to buy and hold.

I just bought some more earlier today.... (although, the upside is getting more and more limited).
  • Reply 38 of 42
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    What I'd like is the ability to us a LTE iPad as a hotspot device.

No more of those single function devices to only create a network.

Dreaming ? Perhaps.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

What I'd like is the ability to us a LTE iPad as a hotspot device.

No more of those single function devices to only create a network.

Dreaming ? Perhaps.

I wonder how much battery life you could get if the display was off.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,429moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon's 4G network now reaches 200 million people, making it the largest LTE network in the U.S.

It still sucks though. Here is the coverage map:

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage

3G is in red, 4G is the tiny green dots. You could say wifi reaches 500 million people but obviously not everywhere they go, which is the important part when it comes to a mobile network.

I guess some progress is better than none but it's nothing to get excited about IMO.