Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 201 of 445
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    iPad 2 with Built-in 25-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

iPad'3' with Built-in 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

1.7x the watt-hour
  • Reply 202 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I beg to differ! These tablets look awesomely tasty!

Does that make English Muffins a forked version of toast?
  • Reply 203 of 445
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Highly disappointed.

I was expecting something more drastic (like the stock-price-inflating "rumor" about Senseg touch tech being incorporated into the tablet).

This is nothing like iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4s.

This is an iPad 2S.

Looks like Apple is adjusting its "Retina display" moniker by relaxing its standard.

From what Steve Jobs was boasting about in the release of iPhone 4, retina display = >300ppi (the limit that human retina can distinguish the distance between two closely spaced points on a screen)

This device is only 264ppi. Last time I checked that 264 < 300.
  • Reply 204 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Aaargh... anyone else keep getting "Oops:error" messages when trying to order the new iPad via the Apple online store?

Yeah. I've been able to chug through a few steps by refreshing here and there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Highly disappointed.

I was expecting something more drastic.

This is an iPad 2S.

Why is it that people who post this aren't bothered to list why they are disappointed?

If they're waiting for the 3D display they should get a head start on the Android ecosystem.

Edit: I see you added the content I commented on above.

Quote:

Looks like Apple is adjusting its "Retina display" moniker by relaxing its standard.

From what Steve Jobs was boasting about in the release of iPhone 4, retina display = >300ppi (the limit that human retina can distinguish the distance between two closely spaced points on a screen)

This is due to a misunderstanding of what a 'Retina display' is. The target ppi is relative to the distance from the eyes at which the device is actually going to be used under normal circumstances. An iPad is held farther from the eyes than an iPhone. Just as a computer monitor would be seated farther than the iPad is held, a television positioned farther away than a computer monitor would be seated. Thus, in each case, the ppi needed for a 'Retina display' drops. The new iPad exceeds the ppi requirement outlined by Apple for a 'Retina display' (and it isn't marketing nonsense—it is an accurate representation) so they're in the clear on this point.

And there are significant technical issues that would be associated with a higher resolution anyway. It had to be 2x.
  • Reply 205 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I guess maybe I don't know the specifics of how Apple works with retailers. Usually though, merchandise that is on the shelves is recorded as a sale to the supplier/manufacturer.

If Apple has a unique arrangement and relationship with resellers, then I apologize for my comments.

There's no need for an apology!

I don't know what the facts are either, but I don't think it's as categorical as "it's booked as a sale if it's on Best Buy's shelves". If that were the case, we'd see a lot more discounting on these products when a new one is introduced, no?
  • Reply 206 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Too soon to start talking about what we expect for the 2013 iPad? I'm hoping for a digitizer and some really great APIs, longer battery life, thinner, better cameras, and full Siri support.

Didn't Jobs once say that the digitizer was dead? I'm with you though I have a Samsung Note and I use the pen every day. I used to carry around a small notebook and pen but not anymore. Best purchase I've made in long time, what an incredible phone.

So yes iPad3, digitizer is a must, that 41 megapixel sensor that Nokia just introduced, throw that in there for good measure, quad core cpu, 2 GB of memory, miniSD card, removable battery, OSX, loose that phone OS please and longer battery life.
  • Reply 207 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I don't know what the facts are either, but I don't think it's as categorical as "it's booked as a sale if it's on Best Buy's shelves". If that were the case, we'd see a lot more discounting on these products when a new one is introduced, no?

If Apple reported "sold" as 'sold to resellers such as Best Buy', why aren't we hearing any "shipped, not sold!" cries about Apple products and only about Samsung, et. al.?

That's my question on the whole issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

So yes iPad3, digitizer is a must, that 41 megapixel sensor that Nokia just introduced, throw that in there for good measure, quad core cpu, 2 GB of memory, miniSD card, removable battery, OSX, loose that phone OS please and longer battery life.

This is the iPad 3. Do you mean the iPad 4? Rather, the 4th iPad?
  • Reply 208 of 445
    despeckdespeck Posts: 18member
    In the new iPad commercial where the user is stroking additional plants into the painting, is it my imagination or are those shapes very much like the ones Samsung shows being added with a stylus in its ad for their stylus-based product? A subtle message, perhaps?
  • Reply 209 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

((2048 x 1536) - (1920 x 1080))/(1920 x 1080)) x 100% = 51.7%.

((2048 x 1536) - (1920 x 1200))/(1920 x 1200)) x 100%

=

36.53%
  • Reply 210 of 445
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Please explain how the new iPad is 10 hours on 3G and 9 hours on LTE if LTE sucks the life out of batteries.

iPad 2012 has a 42 WHr while iPad 2011 has a 25 WHr battery. So, it appears Apple is using 40 nm LTE devices and therefore are drawing a lot power compared to HSPA devices at the same node.

However, the 10 hr of WiFi browsing is interesting. If the A5X and the display are using the same amount of power as the A5 and display in the iPad 2, it really should be about 18 hr of WiFi browsing on the new iPad. So either Apple is way lowballing the WiFi performance times or something interesting is occurring here.
  • Reply 211 of 445
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Got my order in for iPad (3rd generation) and Apple TV (3rd generation) just as APPL rolled into the plus column for the day... good sign!
  • Reply 212 of 445
    nemacxnemacx Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I've had two wives. They're not as hard to find as one would think.

Poor man
  • Reply 213 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Didn't Jobs once say that the digitizer was dead?

I don't recall that. He did mention that you shouldn't need a stylus to use a phone... he's right. But that doesn't mean there aren't very real applications that could use a Wacom digitizer and stylus.

Quote:

iPad 2012 has a 42 WHr while iPad 2011 has a 25 WHr battery. So, it appears Apple is using 40 nm LTE devices and therefore are drawing a lot power compared to HSPA devices at the same node.

However, the 10 hr of WiFi browsing is interesting. If the A5X and the display are using the same amount of power as the A5 and display in the iPad 2, it really should be about 18 hr of WiFi browsing on the new iPad. So either Apple is way lowballing the WiFi performance times or something interesting is occurring here.

So despite the 1.7x larger battery that still only gets 10 hours of usage, like the iPad 2, even without an LTE chip you have determined the additional power drain is from LTE with an MDM9600 (40nm) chip? That makes no sense as the 42.5 Whr battery is in the WiFi-only iPad, too.

Simple answer: The display path needs more power to work.
  • Reply 214 of 445
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgsarch

lololol, I love how this guy just makes stuff up. Propietary file systems. rofl. When you have no idea what you're talking about, you should be reading, not writing.

Then why doesn't the iPad have a miniSD or a proper filemanger that doesn't require me to connect to an external computer if I want to simply add a folder.

iOS uses a HFS+ variant, just like OS X, which you could call proprietary, but it's well known and documented, and supported by many programs and operating systems not made by Apple. None of this has anything to do with why there is no manual filesystem management or an SD slot on iOS devices anyway.

There is no direct/manual filesystem access in iOS, because it doesn't fit the storage paradigm iOS uses, which is that applications live in their own sandbox, and in general do not have any access to filesystem locations outside of it. The whole filesystem hierarchy is based around this idea, and you don't want to have to browse it manually because that would be extremely confusing and unintuitive. If applications need to share information there are application API's for that (e.g. to get to photo's, contacts, music, etc), which in general rely on the user not messing with the file system or just throwing files in some folder and expecting other applications to be able to access them. That's how every iOS application works, that's how the OS was designed. Then there's also the long-term vision of using iCloud to synchronize stuff between devices and applications, of course.

Throwing a Windows-like file manager into that mix doesn't make a lot of sense, I doubt if many power-users would even use it.
  • Reply 215 of 445
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I can hardly wait for iTunes Movie Match!
  • Reply 216 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If Apple reported "sold" as 'sold to resellers such as Best Buy', why aren't we hearing any "shipped, not sold!" cries about Apple products and only about Samsung, et. al.?

That's my question on the whole issue.

That's a good question, and agrees with my premise that what is counted as "sold" at the end of the quarter is net of returns from the customer (incl. the retail) chain.
  • Reply 217 of 445
    Quote:

i hope htye are lowballing the wifi, cos LTE is pointless around most of the world so I wont be getting it, and my current ipad2 never got the claimed battery life
  • Reply 218 of 445
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I enjoyed the live blog on Engadget but as cool as the new iPad is, I don't think most average people who already own an iPad will find it to be an absolute must have. I know I don't and it isn't about the money. I just don't see a need for it. The more powerful they get, the less I need it. I just use it for casual browsing and emailing. I have several real computers for anything that requires traditional capabilities like saving a picture and uploading it to some location or downloading a pdf and attaching it to an email.

The iPad is an in between type of device. I has a lot of conveniences and a lot of compromises. If I ever try to do anything even slightly out of the scope of web browsing or emailing it only makes me frustrated. I don't play games or watch movies, listen to music or use more than a few free apps other than the stock Apple ones and iWork on rare occasion. The new one is nice but, meh...whatever.. I think I'll wait a few more revisions before I bother to replace my current one. I don't care about the high resolution display. The current one seems fine to me and I already have LTE hotspot.
  • Reply 219 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

There's no need for an apology!

Quote:

Highly disappointed.

I was expecting something more drastic.

This is an iPad 2S.

This device is only 264ppi. Last time I checked that 264 < 300.

Oh, this is very much a 3rd generation device. Sure having a larger DPI count and better rez isn't very important on screen that is smaller then 10 inches but the technology is incredible. The cpu is faster as well as the graphics card, much, much much better camera faster wireless technology.

So yeah it's not mind blowing but have you seen the competition, there really isn't much else out there that can stand in Apples way. If it wasn't for Android 3.2 or 4.03 being a much better tablet OS then iOS no one would buy the very few alternative tablets that are being sold now.

I really hope this year the other tablet manufactures step up their game in a big way. Not because I'm a Apple hater and want to see them fail quite the opposite maybe it would push Apple more to come out with even better stuff. Right now Apple is clearly winning the hearts of the consumer.
  • Reply 220 of 445
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Unlike someone who shall remain nameless Chronster didn't state his wishes as demands or claim Apple was doomed or such nonsense. I don't think his requests are sound, especially when taken all at once, but he's certainly not trolling.

No, he is not trolling. But there is a number of people who's default position is negative, contrarian and miserable. Some people are like that, some become like that in older age (Ireland?), and they are all curmudgeons. There's no point in arguing with them - its like pissing against the wind.