Apple's new iPhoto for iOS uses OpenStreetMap data in place of Google

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's getting old.

Well, 19th century IS a bit old, indeed...

------

Damned, Paxman beat me to it... I was so happy with myself
  • Reply 42 of 47
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I had never thought about it before seeing OSM maps but visually map images are fugly. I hope (and assume) whatever Apple brings to the table will be more visually appealing.

Apple did bring these to the table.

They could have created any kind of map they wanted using the OSM data but for some unknown reason, they chose ye oldé pirate treasure map style, aaarrrggghhh, matey!
  • Reply 43 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

The fact that it's a total failure... e.g. fugly as hell... well Steve Jobs is gone, remember. He wouldn't have let this leave the company floor... he'd have fired some people...

I love that people think they know this.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Utterly useless maps. My address does not exist, my street is in the wrong place, 6 of 12 streets in the neighborhood are in the wrong place, there is land and a street shown where, in reality, there is water. This is in a fairly major urban area. The neighborhood was laid out in the 1930's.

This won't last long.

If you're going to rely on open source mapping, then you'll get what you pay for. Apologies to the open source communities but you guys just don't have the funding. My guess is this obviously is a stop-gay measure by Apple so they don't have to renew a contract when their so close to having their own ready.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right. And. Steve is gone and I suspect this point will be common place sooner than later.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tallest Skil:

But they read the book AND they read AI regularly so how could they NOT know this?

Quote:

Originally posted by ljocampo:

If you're going to rely on open source mapping, then you'll get what you pay for

And if you are going to be lazy and use two year old data and use your own format for the maps, it will be as good (or as crappy) as you (not the open source community) make it.

Quote:

Right. And. Steve is gone and I suspect this point will be common place sooner than later

It will be more common place that people will make stupid comments about knowing what Steve would have done?