iPad Retina Display features Super High Aperture pixels, double the LEDs

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Packing four times the pixels into the new iPad's Retina Display has proven to be a challenge for Apple's manufacturing partners, who are utilizing advanced technology like Super High Aperture pixel design and packing in double the LEDs for backlighting.

Insight on the new 2,048-by-1,536-pixel screen has been offered by the NPD Group's DisplaySearch. In a post to the firm's official blog, Richard Shim explained that the new iPad's Retina Display has been difficult for suppliers Samsung, Sharp and LG to manufacture.

The three companies are said to be relying on a production process known as "a-Si TFT," which has proven to be particularly difficult, as Apple's Retina Display requirements are reportedly testing the upper limits of the technology. Shim said that the 264 pixels-per-inch crammed into the new iPad's 9.7-inch screen is believed to be the upper limit of pixel density for a-Si TFT.

Sharp was originally said to be pushing for the third-generation iPad to feature its IGZO display technology. But a report arose in January, indicating that Sharp's IGZO displays failed to meet Apple's standards.

Doubling the pixel density in the new iPad has also forced Retina Display manufacturers to double the number of LEDs for backlighting. Shim said the new screens likely include at least 72 LEDs, which could result in a significant increase in power consumption.

"The slightly larger and heavier case as compared to the iPad 2 suggests Apple is using a larger battery in order to accommodate the high resolution display with more LEDs than the previous generation, without decreasing battery life," he said.

In a separate post, Charles Annis of DisplaySearch explained that the new iPad's Retina Display features Super High Aperture pixel designs. This allows Apple to pack more pixels into the same 9.7-inch screen size without causing cross-talk or affecting image quality.

"SHA is a method of increasing aperture ratio by applying approximately a 3 (micrometer) thick photo-definable acrylic resin layer to planarize the device and increase the vertical gap between the ITO pixel electrodes and signal lines," Annis explained.

SHA technology is said to currently be in use in about 25 percent of LCDs, though that number is expected to grow in the future as super-high-resolution displays increase in use.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Sold my original 64GB iPad for $375 three weeks ago, bought a 64GB 3G iPad 2 on Sunday for $450 and sold it today for $590, and pre-ordered a new 64GB wifi iPad 3. I'm can't wait to get a peek at that lickable display

Jumping from an original iPad to this is going to be quite the upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    I know that chick from somewhere else
  • Reply 3 of 50
    drfreemandrfreeman Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

... bought a 64GB 3G iPad 2 on Sunday for $450 and sold it today for $590...

I did not know the price of the older iPads are on the rise?
  • Reply 4 of 50
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    "SHA is a method of increasing aperture ratio by applying approximately a 3 (micrometer) thick photo-definable acrylic resin layer to planarize the device and increase the vertical gap between the ITO pixel electrodes and signal lines," Annis explained--to the people who knew WTF he was talking about.
    There. I fixed it.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Now I want a MacBook Pro with retina display!
  • Reply 6 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    can I finally use this thing outside in moderate sunlight and see the screen. I'm tired of having to go find a shadowy spot or slip into video village to look stuff up.

If we can finally see these things outside then its time to move onto our next wish list item. Being about to connect them to our monitor system so we can watch the camera feed from anywhere on set. Get off these antique hand helds
  • Reply 7 of 50
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Packing four times the pixels into the new iPad's Retina Display has proven to be a challenge for Apple's manufacturing partners, who are utilizing advanced technology like Super High Aperture pixel design and packing in double the LEDs for backlighting. ... the new iPad's Retina Display (also) features Super High Aperture pixel designs. ... "SHA is a method of increasing aperture ratio by applying approximately a 3 (micrometer) thick photo-definable acrylic resin layer to planarize the device and increase the vertical gap between the ITO pixel electrodes and signal lines ...

But of course, if Apple chooses to make a TV set, they will fail because as Samsung says, "TV's are all about picture quality" which of course Apple knows nothing about.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post
    "SHA is a method of increasing aperture ratio by applying approximately a 3 (micrometer) thick photo-definable acrylic resin layer to planarize the device and increase the vertical gap between the ITO pixel electrodes and signal lines," Annis explained--to the people who knew WTF he was talking about.
    There. I fixed it.

It's a fancy way of saying "we put a layer of plastic between the signal lines and the pixels to keep them from interfering with each other."
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I did not know the price of the older iPads are on the rise?

I got a great deal on eBay and it came with a smart cover. I resold the iPad for the going price of $549 to someone local and the leather smart cover for $40.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:

Sold my original 64GB iPad for $375 three weeks ago, bought a 64GB 3G iPad 2 on Sunday for $450 and sold it today for $590, and pre-ordered a new 64GB wifi iPad 3. I'm can't wait to get a peek at that lickable display

Jumping from an original iPad to this is going to be quite the upgrade.

It's always fun to scout Craigslist for the overly low priced items and flip them for their actual market value. Basically what Steve Jobs did in the 70's with early computer parts to make money according to the Isaacson biography.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:

I got a great deal on eBay and it came with a smart cover. I resold the iPad for the going price of $549 to someone local and the leather smart cover for $40.

Interesting that you were able to work it that way. My experience was always the opposite. Find it cheap locally and then flip it for more on eBay.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

You should've kept the smart cover since I works with the new iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

You have a misspelling. You inadvertently wrote you sold it to someone local rather than loco.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You have a misspelling. You inadvertently wrote you sold it to someone local rather than loco.

Why is that person loco? The retail price for a new one was $829 on Tuesday. You can't buy this model any longer from Apple. Buying at a nearly $300 discount seems perfectly reasonable. There's an eBay auction for the same model and a couple cases that already has 20 bids currently sitting at $600.

I just wonder how he got his off eBay so cheap before the new iPad was released.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    The names Samsung and LG are prominently left out of this article.

Wonder why?
  • Reply 16 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The names Samsung and LG are prominently left out of this article.

Wonder why?

Quote:

Samsung, Sharp and LG

Because you didn't read the article at all?
  • Reply 17 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Why is that person loco? The retail price for a new one was $829 on Tuesday. You can't buy this model any longer from Apple. Buying at a nearly $300 discount seems perfectly reasonable. There's an eBay auction for the same model and a couple cases that already has 20 bids currently sitting at $600.

If you're having trouble finding them, Best Buy has the 64GB model new at $599. Personally $50 off seems a bit loco to me for a used one.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    So is this panel a version of the one Samsung announced back in November, I wonder?

That panel was a 2560 x 1600 300 dpi pentile. If it is, those people on these forums who denounced pentile previously because it was used in Samsung phones, will either have to eat humble pie or forego buying one.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you're having trouble finding them, Best Buy has the 64GB model new at $599. Personally $50 off seems a bit loco to me for a used one.

I see that you're up to your normal fact twisting activities Gator. The model being discussed is a 64gb iPad 2 with 3g. Best Buy buy is charging $729.99 for the model that our fellow poster sold for $549. So the discount is $180 rather than only $50. Best Buy is charging $600 for a non-3g 64gb iPad 2, but I believe you already knew that.

So which is it Mr. Troll? Do you intentionally try to deceive? Are you just lazy? Or simply lacking intelligence? I don't see any other options.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You should've kept the smart cover since I works with the new iPad.

I would've, except it was black and I wanted navy, and I can pick that up NIB for $32 on the web, so I made an extra $8 swapping for the color I want.