New iPad adopts simple product naming Steve Jobs brought to Apple in 1997

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Interesting-- which side of the world is that? Because I can tell you that in the States, Android advertising sometimes feels like a solid 75% of every ad aired on television. Of course, that includes several different handset makers plus the carriers (particularly Verizon), who love to push big scary Android-as-raygun-from-the-future spots as a way to suggest they're some kind of cybernetic enhancement clinic that gives you superpowers.

Aussie and NZ. I have seen the USA advertising, however, most of the adverts i saw while there were also apple.

We never really saw the pc vs. mac adverts either. ymmv
  • Reply 122 of 131
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Of course they wouldnt. Apple only adds a tired, meaningless and boring moniker to the iphone4s when it connects to at&t network.

4s, like 3Gs (the one that started all this "s" crap when Steve was away for a sick leave) is by a lot of people's taste not very successful, and it could be considered also boring, but meaningless it's not since the s denotes a speed bump, but hd is indeed meaningless because it's been so overused (tired) that it's come to mean nothing.

HD unlike 3g points to added functionality but via a moniker that's tired, generic and overused. This is very un-apple. Also apple are promoting the new ipad based on its retina display, which is an innovation and a selling point that would be diluted by adopting the generic hd moniker that every dime a dozen electronics manufacturer has added to all sorts of rubbish. Why would apple who seeks to be both unique and minimal in their model names choose hd to emulate, say zune hd? I don't think it was ever even a consideration at apple.

I think they chose wisely to do away with 3,4, etc. 4s and 3gs because this numbering and letter adding business has not potential end in sight and it would only serve to cheapen the impact of the product. Best to refer to the current iphone or ipad and refer to the generation as an identifier.
  • Reply 123 of 131
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

4s, like 3Gs (the one that started all this "s" crap when Steve was away for a sick leave) is by a lot of people's taste not very successful, and it could be considered also boring, but meaningless it's not since the s denotes a speed bump, but hd is indeed meaningless because it's been so overused (tired) that it's come to mean nothing.

HD unlike 3g points to added functionality but via a moniker that's tired, generic and overused. This is very un-apple. Also apple are promoting the new ipad based on its retina display, which is an innovation and a selling point that would be diluted by adopting the generic hd moniker that every dime a dozen electronics manufacturer has added to all sorts of rubbish. Why would apple who seeks to be both unique and minimal in their model names choose hd to emulate, say zune hd? I don't think it was ever even a consideration at apple.

I think they chose wisely to do away with 3,4, etc. 4s and 3gs because this numbering and letter adding business has not potential end in sight and it would only serve to cheapen the impact of the product. Best to refer to the current iphone or ipad and refer to the generation as an identifier.

I was being more sarcastic about the 4G badge that is displayed when the iPhone4S is connected to AT&T's network.

Nice commentory anyway.
  • Reply 124 of 131
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I was being more sarcastic about the 4G badge that is displayed when the iPhone4S is connected to AT&T's network.

Got it.
  • Reply 125 of 131
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How about πPad.

Ha!
  • Reply 126 of 131
    I vaguely miss the Apple IIGS. It was a nice computer for its time.
  • Reply 127 of 131
    This is a very interesting read. I started selling Apple products in 1985 and retired in 2009. The naming schemes for Macs in the mid-90s, before Steve Jobs return to the Apple, was a nightmare - not only for customers but also resellers. "Performa" was a horrendous choice for a product line as it sounds more appropriate for a brand of condoms...

One correction: "When Apple introduced the iPod in 1999". The original iPod was introduced in October 2001 and not 1999.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    It's funny how the competition still has utterly cryptic product names. Look at HP for example, or Samsung, especially with their TVs. Sure, there is some kind of system behind the naming scheme, but for John Doe, it's just a nightmare of letters and numbers.
  • Reply 129 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A few people are calling the new name dumb. Well, I'm calling those people dumb and clueless, because the new name is great and it's a very smart move, taking the future into consideration. The name is not the "new iPad", which certain people falsely believe, it's just simply iPad from now on. The new iPad is the iPad (third generation).

Nobody saw it coming. I think that most people were expecting the iPad 3 with some people speculating about an iPad HD while a few other silly and not too bright people speculated about an iPad 2 S.

The iPad will be around for many years to come and each year there will be a new model, just like with cars. Let the Android manufacturers release hundreds of models a year with all sorts of confusing and retarded names, that nobody can keep track of. Apple will simply have the iPad!

It's a brilliant and smart move by Apple!

The iPad is an iconic product, and the name iPad is all that needs to be said.

When talking about how awesome and trustworthy my iPhone 3Gs is, people can understand how significant it is because the phone is getting up there in age. If I said however, that my iPhone is awesome, the next question would be which one do you have so it can be contextualized. People need it and will make up their own distinguishing moniker to get the job done; messy.

Which iPad do you have? The iPad. Yeah I know, which one? The iPad. What?

Prediction: I'm guessing it's gonna be call iPad retina.

Your predictions???...
  • Reply 130 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matinside View Post

Your predictions???...

iPad.

4th generation: iPad

5th generation: iPad

6th generation: iPad

7th generation: iPad

8th generation: iPad

6th generation iPhone: iPhone

7th generation iPhone: iPhone

8th generation iPhone: iPhone

9th generation iPhone: iPhone

10th generation iPhone: iPhone

11th generation iPhone: iPhone
  • Reply 131 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

or tbf even:

"Sprint Samsung Galaxy S? II, Epic? Touch 4G (Black) Android Smartphone SPH-D710"

According to Samsung

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA man...thank God for the Nexus and even the Droid line (though they are handling those horribly...making Droid a brand with many phones under it as opposed to ONE phone...considering how well the original Droid sold they could've made the Droid a super success...but no...and the Nexus line is marketed horribly)