Apple's Jony Ive: 'If we can't make something that is better, we won't do it'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple will do whatever it thinks will increase total profits.

You say that like its a bad thing...
  • Reply 82 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Apple is trying to dictate the market.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • Reply 83 of 108
    Quote:

The maximization of total profits drives everything that Apple does. Not just design, but everything.

Again, how is that a bad thing?
  • Reply 84 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Its not that surprising smartphones all end up looking like an iPhone.

My, what selective memory we have. Go re-read the pre-launch comments about the original iPhone lacking a physical keyboard and then come back to defend your "inevitable" assertion...
  • Reply 85 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Again, how is that a bad thing?

Who said that is a bad thing?

All giant corporations do it. Apple is the same as Exxon or Monsanto in that regard.
  • Reply 86 of 108
    Quote:

Who said that is a bad thing?

All giant corporations do it. Apple is the same as Exxon or Monsanto in that regard.

If there is nothing wrong with it, why do you keep bringing it up?

Finally admitting your posts are valueless?
  • Reply 87 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

If there is nothing wrong with it, why do you keep bringing it up?

Finally admitting your posts are valueless?

I was correcting a mistaken impression. That has great value.

Go away.
  • Reply 88 of 108
    Quote:

Go away.

Yup, diagnoses confimed....
  • Reply 89 of 108
    I love the Magic Trackpad that comes with iMac but the ones on MBP and MBA are godawful..

The top 1/4 part of Mac trackpad is very, very hard to press.. I don't like the 'plastic' feel to the touch, when I click..

Pinch to zoom sometimes doesn't work for no apparent reason..

Mac trackpads certainly haven't got "BETTER" in a long time.

Ive is amazing but he isn't perfect..
  • Reply 90 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by griffith9 View Post

The top 1/4 part of Mac trackpad is very, very hard to press?

It's also hard to close a door by putting your force on the hinge. Basic physics.
  • Reply 91 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

The samsungs connector actually is the better one as it has a ridge to get better grip on it...

Um..."better grip"? It is "ridged for her pleasure"?
  • Reply 92 of 108
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

So I guess they didn't release a new iPod Touch because they could

not make it better. Too bad because I could have given them some ideas: 3G

data, a GPS and a digital compass would have made a much better

product

The iPod touch already has a digital compass.
  • Reply 93 of 108
    Just to point out that his name is Sir Jonathan Ive, or Sir Jonathan. Not "Ive" or "Jonny Ive" - unless you're his friend. That's how knighthoods work.

Also, I think you misquoted him. Never misquote a knight. That's how beheadings work.
  • Reply 94 of 108
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    I have a suspect that Apple is testing the interface with Apple TV users and collecting data in order to refine the "iTV" experience. So if the new Apple TV interface has bad reviews, hey no big deal it's just a hobby vs rereleasing the iTV with no testing.

Smart if you ask me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But Apple hasn't made a television.....ooooooooh!

• Reply 95 of 108
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

+1 for TPB quote...

Quibbling aside.

I think it's interesting that now that Steve Jobs is gone - may he RIP - other execs at Apple share more of a spotlight. Everything didn't fall apart. Things are still going.

It might yet turn out that Jobs' greatest product is the team that he assembled, and the company that he created. Tim Cook kills on supply chain and even though he's the best, he seems to get even better at it (> 40% profit margin in Q4 - WTF??). Jony Ive will continue to kick out amazing products. And there's others that carry on... this interview really is proof that the Apple way is alive and well i the company and despite an absolute unwillingness of the competition to see it, this is the secret sauce that makes Apple Apple.

If it's only about money then people will eventually get fed up with it and retire, or go into philantropism where that money can maybe be used for a good cause.

But if it's about more, much more, then there's no stopping it, and no limit on where it can go.

Ever heard any competitor say they just want to make the best products, or they won'd do them? No way... one look at the average consumer electronics' companies product lines is all it takes to know otherwise. I mean... Sony used to be kind of like that, but they long lost the plot. Toyota is maybe also like this in that they are similarly obsessed with quality - look where it got them.

Jony Ive has done interviews before so that's not new. It seems like he was the one exec Steve allowed to have a public profile. I've never seen an interview with Scott Forstall and Phil Schiller maybe a couple quotes to the NY Times or Wall Street Journal after a product launch, but never a full interview.
  • Reply 96 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

45 years old. Isn't that a bit young to be knighted? I would think that most were allot older.

You are better off younger if knighted. Putting all that armor on, climbing on and off a massive horse and wielding a heavy broad sword against wicked trolls etc. isn't easy for an old guy.
  • Reply 97 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by griffith9 View Post

I love the Magic Trackpad that comes with iMac but the ones on MBP and MBA are godawful..

The top 1/4 part of Mac trackpad is very, very hard to press.. I don't like the 'plastic' feel to the touch, when I click..

Pinch to zoom sometimes doesn't work for no apparent reason..

Mac trackpads certainly haven't got "BETTER" in a long time.

Ive is amazing but he isn't perfect..

i bought the same one that comes with the iMac as an extra to use with my MBP when at a desk.
  • Reply 98 of 108
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Why the new ipad is thicker and heavier then? I'm keeping my old thin and light ipad and wait for the next thinner and lighter one.
  • Reply 99 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Why the new ipad is thicker and heavier then? I'm keeping my old thin and light ipad and wait for the next thinner and lighter one.

So it's not "better" because it's thicker and heavier?

JIC you are being serious let's look at what they did to the overall product. That added 4x the number of pixels to the display without losing battery life. The only solution that would work to keep it lighter and thinner is to reduce the battery size to a point that it has to changed much more often and can't go a full day of use. Is that really "better" to you?

PS: The iPhones have gotten both thicker and heavier in YoY releases.
  • Reply 100 of 108
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

OK since you don't have the new iPad how do you know it will look thicker and feel heavier when you get it in your hands? I could care less if a spec sheet shows it's slightly thicker or weighs a little bit more. It's all about how it feels when you're holding it in your hands. My guess is it won't even be noticeable for most people.