Users say Siri struggles in Japanese debut

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

"Siri" is a slightly unfortunate name in Japanese. There's no pure "si" phoneme in the Japanese language. Intead, "si" is pronounced "shi." And "shiri" means "rear end" or "butt."

Oops.

English-speaking women snickered when Apple announced the "iPad" in 2010.

Apple quickly gave it a new meaning: the tablet to own.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Anyone having used siri in the u.s. can hardly be surprised it's embarrassing itself in Japan too.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What? No Tim Cook photo with the caption, "Not sure if Sirious?"
  • Reply 24 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What? No Tim Cook photo with the caption, "Not sure if Sirious?"

I'd need a photo of him holding an iPhone for that, and I've yet to find one. My regular one just serves its literal purpose, not a pun-based one.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

On a more serious note, due to the penetration of the ad campaign and accompanying fanfare, I was not aware, until Apple had to emphasize it in their statement vis a vis the lawsuit, that Siri was, in fact, considered a beta.

Now I'm sure that a lot of you on this thread, the lawsuit thread, and AI in general WERE aware of it, and that many more wouldn't ever admit that they weren't, but I do remember that when Boot Camp first came out, it was very clearly described as beta.

I don't have a 4S, nor did I have an Intel Mac at that time, so I'd have had no specific reason to be aware of either one, but I really think Apple presented the issue much differently this time.

Just IMHO

It's been described as beta since the beginning. I see no evidence that their documentation has changed to indicate it's beta when there previously wasn't any. It doesn't excuse Siri issues but it doesn't explain them. This tech is probably a decade off before it could possibly be great in an of itself, but until then we'll just have to take the best.

From their website:
    Quote:

Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

Also in beta right now...
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Anyone having used siri in the u.s. can hardly be surprised it's embarrassing itself in Japan too.

So it's not just imperfect it's so bad it's embarrassing.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    "

"I have a stomach ache," Siri did not understand, while Syabette offered information on the nearest hospital.

A request for tomorrow's schedule was accurately responded to by Syabette, but Siri only understood the schedule part. Siri was unable to provide a map of Chigasaki because it is limited in the location data that it can call up outside the U.S. As a local Japanese solution, Syabette easily accessed the map.

"

Yeah but this is predictable and documented, the guy testing this should have read the documentation before doing pointless comparisons. Right now, outside US, Siri does not support giving you locations or mapping data. So any request which needs location or map data is not understood or it says you that it can't provide the information. It simply does not support that outside of US so how can it ever work? That's the reason Siri is named beta right now, a lot of features what make it powerful are missing outside of US.

"Siri was also unable to handle a search for videos of a Japanese pop singer with a gibberish name, while Syabette had no problem with it."

Same related problem here. This kind of request is highly dependent on the local culture given also that Japanese pop singers are not known at all outside of Japan. Docomo is a local company and can easily adapt its solution to recognize this sort of thing. This will come to Siri with time.,,,

Docomo does not provide its solution in US let alone France or Germany. Apple is dealing with a much bigger solution which has to support multiple languages, culture and locations. If Docomo would provide its solution in US, it would be quite disastrous.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    tnttnt Posts: 21member
    Siri is being able to read and reply messages in Japanese, for me is great, I don't have to translate those kanjis anymore.

I just wish locations in Japan would work but... Well it is beta. Do you know there are many dialects here? (hougen) it will take time to be perfect

So far it is OK.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    While Siri is having some trouble with Japanese, she is still a cunning linguist in my book.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tnt View Post

Siri is being able to read and reply messages in Japanese, for me is great, I don't have to translate those kanjis anymore.

I just wish locations in Japan would work but... Well it is beta. Do you know there are many dialects here? (hougen) it will take time to be perfect

So far it is OK.

Just curious. How many dialects are there in Japan, and are some quite different from the more common?
  • Reply 31 of 67
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    I also live in Japan and it works well when it comes to recognizing the language itself. Again, it has difficulties if you ask it data that it does not have because the support is not there yet.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    I just told Siri "I have a stomach ache".. and it said it doesn't know what I mean.

if it doesn't answer when asked in engrish...
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It's beta ok?

Then Apple shouldn't be making it the focal point of their ad campaign, let alone making it work flawlessly in those.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Then Apple shouldn't be making it the focal point of their ad campaign, let alone making it work flawlessly in those.

Has your Safari ever crashed? Has Mail ever said "Could not connect to server"? I guess Apple should just fill their 30 seconds with all possible errors and issues that could potentially be experienced¡ Fucking ridiculous!
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

I just told Siri "I have a stomach ache".. and it said it doesn't know what I mean.

if it doesn't answer when asked in engrish...

Maybe Siri doesn't want to be sued for practicing medicine without a license. It would be one thing to be accused of not understanding the user, and a whole different thing to be accused of giving bad medical advice.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Has your Safari ever crashed? Has Mail ever said "Could not connect to server"? I guess Apple should just fill their 30 seconds with all possible errors and issues that could potentially be experienced¡ Fucking ridiculous!

Nice slippery slope fallacy. Neither of those are listed as beta, and I can't recall them being the focal point of an entire product in advertisements.

(But to answer your question: Yes, Safari crashed on me all the time, hence why I now use Chrome on my Mac.)
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:

Nice slippery slope fallacy. Neither of those are listed as beta, and I can't recall them being the focal point of an entire product in advertisements.

(But to answer your question: Yes, Safari crashed on me all the time, hence why I now use Chrome on my Mac.)

So if it's in Beta they should spend their 30 second ads giving you examples of how a tech won't work under certain conditions but if the tech is NOT in beta then you don't have to show any possible issues that could arise. Perfectly sound reasoning¡
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:

So if it's in Beta they should spend their 30 second ads giving you examples of how a tech won't work under certain conditions but if the tech is NOT in beta then you don't have to show any possible issues that could arise. Perfectly sound reasoning¡

That's not what I said. On a Mac, you have alternatives to mail, Safari, and any other program. This is not the case for Siri or the iPhone.

I have a problem when a company markets a "BETA" product, for which there is no alternative, and one that works as poorly and frequently as Siri does.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:

That's not what I said. On a Mac, you have alternatives to mail, Safari, and any other program. This is not the case for Siri or the iPhone.

I have a problem when a company markets a "BETA" product, for which there is no alternative, and one that works as poorly and frequently as Siri does.

1) You're upset that you can't have any and all virtual assistant programs built into your OS or that Apple doesn't want their server-side Siri system to be accessed by others? Those are the only two options, and they are both stupid, because there are alternatives on the App Store.2) We're talking about the iPhone 4S —the only platform that supports Siri — so I have no idea why your mentioning the Mac all of a sudden.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    Quote:

1) You're upset that you can't have any and all virtual assistant programs built into your OS or that Apple doesn't want their server-side Siri system to be accessed by others? Those are the only two options, and they are both stupid, because there are alternatives on the App Store. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vling...297214191?mt=8

Neither of those upset me. The problem is the "alternatives" can't do anything close to what Siri can/is supposed to, because of the limited nature of multi-tasking and the restrictive APIs.

Quote:

2) We're talking about the iPhone 4S —the only platform that supports Siri — so I have no idea why your mentioning the Mac all of a sudden.

Sorry, for some reason when you mentioned "Mail" I got it in my head you were talking about the Mac versions.