Users say Siri struggles in Japanese debut

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They did in the keynote. Multiple times. And on every Siri page on their website since then.

Who listens to keynotes except for us? Normal people don't. Plus, obviously you and I know what beta means, but Aunt Betty who just bought her first smart phone doesn't.

My point is simply, and obviously, that yes Apple didn't hide the fact that it is a beta function, but if you don't know the lingo the term means nothing without an explanation.

What about people who DON'T buy from Apple? I guarantee that those who walk into a Verizon store for their first iPhone do NOT have this explained to them, nor are they given any impression that they need to look further than how it is laid out in the store, such as Googling the keynote or reading the entire Apple site. Is it their fault? Apple's? Verizon's?

That said, I'm not adverse to Siri. It works as well as it has a right to in the U.S. English version, and I don't think it even needs the beta label to be accepted for what it is. But I'd be interested in what your response to the person on the street would be when asked if they knew if Siri was beta. That's the measure of how far the information got, not what the keynote said.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Go to the Apple website right now, as someone shopping for a phone would. The mention that it's in beta is buried way down in the fact...

Buried way down on the VERY TOP of the page?!?! As for your argument that Apple needs to define every fraking word on their webpage well that's just insane. Sure, you only picked out beta, but for you to suggest that it needs to be defined means that all words need to be defined just in case your Aunt Betty doesn't know. But let's not overlook the fact that people on Apple's website are on the internet to wit they can google 'beta'. They can also call Apple or walk into a store and ask about the feature. At some point you can't hold everyone's hand or you end up with toasters saying don't use while bathing.

Quote:

That said, I'm not adverse to Siri. It works as well as it has a right to in the U.S. English version, and I don't think it even needs the beta label to be accepted for what it is.

So you're problem is calling it a beta, but you wouldn't have a problem with Apple releasing an incomplete service without the beta label attached?
  • Reply 63 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

?if you don't know the lingo the term means nothing without an explanation.

If you don't know what you're buying, why are you buying it?

"This has a 2 'gigga hurts' processor, so I bought it."

"So tell me what that means."

"They said it was fast."

"That doesn't tell me what it means. That doesn't tell you what it means. You didn't need this. You could have gotten a much slower machine for half the price and been perfectly fine."

There're people buying Mac Pros because they think it's the only thing that can play games. Not doing the research is the customer's fault.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you're problem is calling it a beta, but you wouldn't have a problem with Apple releasing an incomplete service without the beta label attached?

Sure, because I personally don't have a problem with such an iffy technology as VR being iffy. Previous OSX and Windows VRs were released not as beta over the decades and didn't work perfectly by a long shot.

The manner in which Apple's referring to it as beta in their material as something that will "improve" implies to many that it works fine as it is, beta just means that it will "improve". (Duh. what doesn't?) No one who doesn't understand that beta means incomplete and not final release is going to Google the term because they think they've been given the full explanation. Same as when the Verizon store sells it to you and doesn't say anything.

But none of that is what bothers me. Here's the issue: Releasing functions and features as "beta" in such a mainstream, saturated product is a very new thing. Of the top of my head I can only think of iWork to have had it, and it seemed nervy then, and it never even made it out of beta before it was killed off. It's a bad tag to have on a function. It implies "don't blame us for anything, it's beta", even three years later. Just don't release something and call it beta. It's released. You put it in my phone and in the OS. If it doesn't work don't put it in either. Not that I'm saying Siri doesn't work, but having an Apple beta program running on a device is very un-Apple like. That's my main gripe. I don't like it.

I don't like anything on any of my Apple devices that doesn't work REALLY well. I'm not into gimmicky amusement. It's just a preference.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Sure, because I personally don't have a problem with such an iffy technology as VR being iffy. Previous OSX and Windows VRs were released not as beta over the decades and didn't work perfectly by a long shot.

VR? VR?! Siri's VR is a mere single aspect of the entire services suite. This is why Siri is in beta and why it's so difficult to scale across all languages, dialects, and cultures. It's not simply about the Dragon Dictation back-end that can parse your spoken words into text, it's about understanding every part of the process that leads to a contextual understanding of your implied meaning.

That's some next level shit! It will take a long time to get right but it can't be done in a lab. It has to have a continuously large foundation to build off of. But that's not it, it has to keep learning because language evolves... and quicker than many think. I don't just mean the spelling or pronunciation/inflection of words, I mean the meaning of words themselves.

Quote:

The manner in which Apple's referring to it as beta in their material as something that will "improve" implies to many that it works fine as it is, beta just means that it will "improve". (Duh. what doesn't?) No one who doesn't understand that beta means incomplete and not final release is going to Google the term because they think they've been given the full explanation. Same as when the Verizon store sells it to you and doesn't say anything.

That's my point. You took Apple's inclusion of beta to mean "it will improve" so that its inclusion is moot because all such services and software are likely to improve. Did you consider that Apple's inclusion of beta is an acknowledgment that it's simply not up to their standards for a non-beta product? By your definition Mountain Lion shouldn't be referred to a beta because it will improve after it's on the market. Bottom line: Siri isn't as complete as they'd like it to be but they had no choice but to release it to the public if they ever want it to be complete.

Quote:

But none of that is what bothers me. Here's the issue: Releasing functions and features as "beta" in such a mainstream, saturated product is a very new thing. Of the top of my head I can only think of iWork to have had it, and it seemed nervy then, and it never even made it out of beta before it was killed off. It's a bad tag to have on a function. It implies "don't blame us for anything, it's beta", even three years later. Just don't release something and call it beta. It's released. You put it in my phone and in the OS. If it doesn't work don't put it in either. Not that I'm saying Siri doesn't work, but having an Apple beta program running on a device is very un-Apple like. That's my main gripe. I don't like it.

Messasges was just released as a beta for Lion. Apple has had plenty of beta software. Some things need volunteers, the least of which is Messages, the most of which is Siri.

Quote:

I don't like anything on any of my Apple devices that doesn't work REALLY well. I'm not into gimmicky amusement. It's just a preference.

If you have an iPhone 4S it's easy not to use... and thank god they label it as beta so you aren't tricked into expecting it to work really well all the time.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

"

"I have a stomach ache," Siri did not understand, while Syabette offered information on the nearest hospital.

A request for tomorrow's schedule was accurately responded to by Syabette, but Siri only understood the schedule part. Siri was unable to provide a map of Chigasaki because it is limited in the location data that it can call up outside the U.S. As a local Japanese solution, Syabette easily accessed the map.

"

Yeah but this is predictable and documented, the guy testing this should have read the documentation before doing pointless comparisons. Right now, outside US, Siri does not support giving you locations or mapping data. So any request which needs location or map data is not understood or it says you that it can't provide the information. It simply does not support that outside of US so how can it ever work? That's the reason Siri is named beta right now, a lot of features what make it powerful are missing outside of US.

"Siri was also unable to handle a search for videos of a Japanese pop singer with a gibberish name, while Syabette had no problem with it."

Same related problem here. This kind of request is highly dependent on the local culture given also that Japanese pop singers are not known at all outside of Japan. Docomo is a local company and can easily adapt its solution to recognize this sort of thing. This will come to Siri with time.,,,

Docomo does not provide its solution in US let alone France or Germany. Apple is dealing with a much bigger solution which has to support multiple languages, culture and locations. If Docomo would provide its solution in US, it would be quite disastrous.

Uncommon sense. Thank you for that.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So it's not just imperfect it's so bad it's embarrassing.

I would think that when the no 1 new feature of your new phone thats been touted and marketed so agressively and is supposed to usher in an era of ai (not that ai ) needs a canadian update to be able to reply to questions concerning the time and weather that this is indeed embarrassing. Wouldn't you? No, I take it back, you wouldn't.