Benchmarks of Apple's new iPad confirm 1GB of RAM, same CPU speed

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014


With a new pre-release iPad now out in the wild ahead of Friday's launch, benchmark tests conducted with the device have confirmed it has 1 gigabyte of RAM and an ARM CPU clocked at 1 gigahertz.



Vietnamese-language site Tinh.te ran a Geekbench test with the new iPad it obtained this week. The "System Information" details displayed show an "iPad3,3" model running iOS 5.1.



The new iPad's custom A5X processor has an ARMv7 processor clocked at 1GHz, which is identical to the A5 CPU found in the iPad 2. While the dual-core CPU remains the same, the system-on-a-chip also includes a quad-core graphics processor that Apple has said blows away its predecessor.



The hands-on test also shows a total of 988 megabytes of RAM in the new iPad, confirming earlier reports that claimed the amount of RAM in the A5X had been doubled to 1 gigabyte. Both the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S feature 512MB of RAM.



The third-generation iPad earned an overall Geekbench score of 756. Its strongest performance came in the "Floating Point" test, where the score was 915, followed by the "Memory" test, at 815.











The tests were conducted on the latest available release of Geekbench for iOS, version 2.2.7. For comparison, a Wi-Fi 16GB iPad 2 running iOS 5.1 earns a similar score of 760. That's because the software tests the CPU, which is identical to the new iPad. The Geekbench test does not represent the new graphics processing in the A5X, but it does confirm the clock speed and RAM.



The hands-on tests are legitimate, as the same poster on the Vietnamese site also uploaded a video showing an unboxing and hands-on with the new iPad. The tests were conducted with a pre-release 16GB LTE-capable iPad.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 44
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    wow, i would have expected a little higher score....

    o well, i won't refuse shipment this saturday
  • Reply 2 of 44
    I'm surprised that the CPU was not clocked a bit higher.

    At the end of the day it's about user experience. For that the iPad is untouchable.



    Seriously considered upgrading from my iPad 2 but will now wait for the fourth generation which hopefully be slimmer and new design.



    Don't get me wrong I think the 3 is fantastic and the screen so alluring.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    The new iPad is all about that glorious display that consumes you.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Because of retina display in my iPhone 4S, I was always slightly disappointed with the iPad resolution. It seemed that it was almost a compromise that you expect to find from a non-Apple product.



    Hopefully, the iPad (3rd Gen) changes that. I say hopefully, since I can't say if Apple succeeded for sure until I receive mine this Friday.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Both My ipads are sitting in Carson,



    Move well, not quick
  • Reply 6 of 44
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post


    Seriously considered upgrading from my iPad 2 but will now wait for the fourth generation which hopefully be slimmer and new design.



    Next iPad would use IZGO LED panel, I hope.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Honestly I'm more concerned about the speed of the postal service than I am about the speed of the iPad. I just got my shipment notification email from apple.



    Really though I have owned both of the previous iPads and never have I sat there and wondered when my iPad would finally catch up to me. My experience has been 100% that's why I can buy 2 new ones with confidence that I won't be disappointed.



    (anyone want to buy a gently used previous model iPad?)
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Why didn't they run GL Bench so we could see some graphics scores?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post


    Why didn't they run GL Bench so we could see some graphics scores?



    That is what I am looking forward to... I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised when we see what this GPU can really do! What blows my mind is 70% more battery for just the screen to stay at 10 hours? I think some of that has to do with a ridiculous GPU... hoping it does anyways!
  • Reply 10 of 44
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 225member
    It'll be interesting to see how the same game with the same graphics performs compared to the ipad1 and ipad2. i.e. I wonder if the graphics performance will even be as good as an ipad2 given that it has to draw four times the pixels. Testing a game on a 2.97ghz i7 intel core iMac in the iPad retina simulator isn't good (much lower fps than in the iPad simulator).
  • Reply 11 of 44
  • Reply 12 of 44
    one year old CPU! Wow, just wow. Guess that balances out the higher screen cost.



    My iPad 2 will stay fast enough for a couple more years.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post


    Benchmark scores are up:



    http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedeta...tgroup=overall



    Thanks for that.



    These are only community uploaded scores. Same with the ASUS Transformer Prime's scores. Having said that, the new iPad beats out the prime in all categories =)
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post


    It'll be interesting to see how the same game with the same graphics performs compared to the ipad1 and ipad2. i.e. I wonder if the graphics performance will even be as good as an ipad2 given that it has to draw four times the pixels.



    I don't see how there is any chance that 1024x768 vs 2048x1536 polygon rendering being the same. I suspect it will be half the speed or less than the ipad 2 when rendering the same number of polygons on the higher resolution with everything else being equal. Graphics acceleration is double from ipad 2, CPU is the same, and we have 4 times the amount of pixels. You probably wont see the difference in games tweaked for the ipad 3 retina display though. The developers will end up reducing polygon counts but increase graphics effects to try and make up for the reduced polygon count at the higher resolution. Either that or they will keep the ipad 2 resolution and add better effects.



    I do hope I am wrong though. I am certainly disappointed at the same CPU speed and CPU core count being the same. I was hoping we would be able to keep the polygon counts at least the same at the higher resolution. It would be a nice surprise to find out that they increase CPU speed when under high graphics loads but that is just wishful thinking I am sure.



    In the end developers will tweak it to perform well (reducing or increasing graphics effects or polygon counts) so I am not really that worried about the final games but just feel disappointed.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,124member
    I can wait for iPad 4. I think.



    What I really want is a high dpi MacBook pro.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post


    I don't see how there is any chance that 1024x768 vs 2048x1536 polygon rendering being the same. I suspect it will be half the speed or less than the ipad 2 when rendering the same number of polygons on the higher resolution with everything else being equal. Graphics acceleration is double from ipad 2, CPU is the same, and we have 4 times the amount of pixels. You probably wont see the difference in games tweaked for the ipad 3 retina display though. The developers will end up reducing polygon counts but increase graphics effects to try and make up for the reduced polygon count at the higher resolution. Either that or they will keep the ipad 2 resolution and add better effects.



    If the app is run at 1024 x 768, performance should be the same or faster. If it's run at 2048 x 1536, I agree that it could run slower, but it's a little hard to say for sure because it depends a lot on what the app is displaying.



    Definitely no iPad 2 owner should upgrade for speed. It's all about the display.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post


    I don't see how there is any chance that 1024x768 vs 2048x1536 polygon rendering being the same. I suspect it will be half the speed or less than the ipad 2 when rendering the same number of polygons on the higher resolution with everything else being equal. Graphics acceleration is double from ipad 2, CPU is the same, and we have 4 times the amount of pixels. You probably wont see the difference in games tweaked for the ipad 3 retina display though. The developers will end up reducing polygon counts but increase graphics effects to try and make up for the reduced polygon count at the higher resolution. Either that or they will keep the ipad 2 resolution and add better effects.



    I do hope I am wrong though. I am certainly disappointed at the same CPU speed and CPU core count being the same. I was hoping we would be able to keep the polygon counts at least the same at the higher resolution. It would be a nice surprise to find out that they increase CPU speed when under high graphics loads but that is just wishful thinking I am sure.



    In the end developers will tweak it to perform well (reducing or increasing graphics effects or polygon counts) so I am not really that worried about the final games but just feel disappointed.



    I think that you'll be surprised when the full benchmarks are released, as well as new software titles taking advantage of the new power structure. As you know with Apple, its never been about specs. There's a lot going on under the hood that is not realized, and directly translates into an improved customer experience. As Ive said, Apple won't bother releasing something that is not 'genuinely better', than what is out today. We'll see on Friday...
  • Reply 18 of 44
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,571member
    Does anyone know when the embargo is up on reviews? Is it tomorrow or thursday?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Does anyone know when the embargo is up on reviews? Is it tomorrow or thursday?



    If you go by last year... we should see reviews tomorrow!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post


    I'm surprised that the CPU was not clocked a bit higher.

    At the end of the day it's about user experience. For that the iPad is untouchable.



    Seriously considered upgrading from my iPad 2 but will now wait for the fourth generation which hopefully be slimmer and new design.



    Don't get me wrong I think the 3 is fantastic and the screen so alluring.



    I think the only way I could stop myself upgrading is to stay away from the Apple store for a year.
Sign In or Register to comment.