Siri gains improved weather and time functions in Canada

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Who cares?! It's Canada. They don't count for anything..

True, Canada is simply a safe and rich country that actually takes care of its own citizens and helps those around the world, instead of bombing and murdering them. Who needs a stable economy, universal healthcare, lower unemployment rates than the USA, and the absence of fear from being shot for nothing. The USA is a truly sad country that is economically and morally bankrupt and mocked the world over. What is the USA good for? Laughs at the expense of the illiterate trailer trash that write comments like yours.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It was a joke but I have plenty of Canadian friends who say that and they are from all over.

No, you don't. Canadians say "a-boat". Scottish people say "a-boot."

Though I have heard Americans tell me I just said "a-boot" right after I said "a-boat". Maybe you all (or should I say y'all) have hearing problems down there.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

True, Canada is simply a safe and rich country that actually takes care of its own citizens and helps those around the world, instead of bombing and murdering them. Who needs a stable economy, universal healthcare, lower unemployment rates than the USA, and the absence of fear from being shot for nothing. The USA is a truly sad country that is economically and morally bankrupt and mocked the world over. What is the USA good for? Laughs at the expense of the illiterate trailer trash that write comments like yours.

Yhatzee
  • Reply 24 of 78
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

He had it coming to him, and you delivered. Kudos.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't know anyone outside of Newfoundland who actually says "a-boot" instead of "about."

I'm not sure why Americans believe Canadians all say that but it's about the same as assuming everyone in the US says "axe" instead of "ask."

Show me a clip of a Newfoundlander speaking whereby they say a-boot instead of about...

That's totally an Ontario and Prairies thing...
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:

Oh quit your crying. Canada is the little brother we never had. And as such you will always be picked on by us, but deep down, we don't mean it and actually, we really like you as neighbors. But make no mistake, in a fight, we would kick your ass.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Oh quit your crying. Canada is the little brother we never had. And as such you will always be picked on by us, but deep down, we don't mean it and actually, we really like you as neighbors. But make no mistake, in a fight, we would kick your ass.

You d have a rather Difficult task as the rest of humanity bar none, well, maybe Israel, would ally with Canada, easily.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't know anyone outside of Newfoundland who actually says "a-boot" instead of "about."

I'm not sure why Americans believe Canadians all say that but it's about the same as assuming everyone in the US says "axe" instead of "ask."

It was a joke. Lighten up. Many of us up here do say it that way
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Being from western Canada, and visiting the US frequently and buying neat things we can't get up here, I clearly have an understanding of all these previously-written posts. What people fail to mention in their RedNeck vs. Newfie paraphrases, is that we all are one people, separated by nothing but a conjured up border. If your blood is red, I don't care about the skin colour or language. I should point out that Apple is trying to achieve that very same thing with the technology in Siri. It's about the language AND geographic location...not the discrimination written on this website> Shame to all that don't contribute any valid point, other than verbal (i.e.. written) conflict and disrespect.

So all of you that find this posting for your bitches and complaints (pick your country description here), ...it's about a software-phone application, not an international showdown or comparison!
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:

But make no mistake, in a fight, we would kick your ass.

Really? The last time you tried to kick our ass we marched all the way to Washington and burned your precious White House to the ground - learn your sad history.

The "we will kick your ass" is precisely why you are bankrupt, economically and morally. Starting wars all over the place to "fight for our country" or "fighting for freedom" is a brilliant brainwashing feat by your corrupt leaders and Wall Street to bring your sons and daughters back in body bags so they can fill their pockets.

As for kicking our ass, you could not even win in Afghanistan, Somalia, eye-raq, Vietnam, Korea... need I go on?

Save your useless knuckle-dragging threats for someone who is afraid, we are not.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alburnell View Post

I should point out that Apple is trying to achieve that very same thing with the technology in Siri.

True, as long as you are not Chinese working in their Foxconn slave camps.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    ungenioungenio Posts: 49member
    why, when you ask Siri about what time is it, it says 10:49, but shows a clock telling 5:49??
  • Reply 33 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Yeah what do we matter... guess we will need a multi trillion dollar debt, shitty economy and limited energy resources before we are something eh ?

Now you're catching on!
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I heard from a reliable source that it takes 3000 lines of code to get Siri to say 'a-boot' instead of 'about'.

I never understood the a-boot thing.

http://www.ic.arizona.edu/~lsp/Canad...rds/stout.html has the pronunciation of stout that I hear almost all Canadians say.

If that sounds like "stoot" to Americans, then I can understand why everyone thinks we talk like that.

Now, as for saying "eh", that I understand completely. I also hear eh on some British shows.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

Show me a clip of a Newfoundlander speaking whereby they say a-boot instead of about...

Show me a clip of someone from Ontario saying that. :-)
  • Reply 36 of 78
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

Not sure where you are from but that is not even close to true.

Watch Corner Gas, for starters. In the states we are constantly mistaken for Calinfornians (from Saskatchewan) We sound just like people on TV.

Ontarians in my experience also have a small accent, so they say "Torana" for Toronto but nothing like about
  • Reply 37 of 78
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Pfftt, people from Minnesota and the South have accents, most Canadians just speak english. Some of us are also bilingual, but the other language is french, not spanish.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:

Well said! If only Siri could say it too!
  • Reply 39 of 78
    I am looking forward to Siri's geolocation being expanded out of the US but have another problem.

I an a British English speaker based most of the time in China and the rest in the UK. I am happily able to use Siri with UK English but am not a good enough Chinese speaker (Mandarin) that I will be able to to Siri when it is open to Mandarin.

It seems that at the moment Siri is geolocated in the US based on one choosing US English. This will be a problem for me (not important to Apple or the rest of it's users) but it will be important in the future.

Siri is a useful tool which I like and use in the car and for making appointments, reminders and notes, but the geo based services will be really useful especially to those away from their locale, either on business or holiday/vacation.

So I really do appreciate it will be an enormous job to integrate the rest of the services in lots of other countries but it will be even more useful to a lot of people if the language and location are separated when this is implemented.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:

"Siri, where is the nearest Tim Horton's?"

"Tim Horton's? Sure, thanks for asking, how are you doing?....Sure, you betcha, well anyways there are two Tim Horton's within two miles of your current location."

you mean kilometres