Apple stock touches $600 in early morning trading ahead of iPad launch

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

aapl 585.56 -$4.02 -0.68%

I bought 10 more Shares at $583. Been getting annoyed that I keep waiting to Buy more, but pass it up. Yeah, it could go down a bit next week (or it could go up next week) but I figured, it's just 10 Shares, $10 price differences are very little on the bottom line, I just wanted to add a little bit more.

This morning the Stock was flirting with $600, I put in the order at $582.99 not thinking that it would hit, but thinking that in the case there was a selloff after the $600 psychological point, it might.... I guess I was right, though, I missed the rock bottom of the day by $4 (that could have been an extra $40 to my upside!!!! ).
  • Reply 62 of 74
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What "bubble" are you talking about? Care to elaborate?

cameronj's chewing gum?

No seriously, I guess he means the dot-com bubble. But only god knows why he compairs that financial desaster with what is going on with apple. It's like compairing apples with jet streams IMHO.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

I bought 10 more Shares at $583. Been getting annoyed that I keep waiting to Buy more, but pass it up. Yeah, it could go down a bit next week (or it could go up next week) but I figured, it's just 10 Shares, $10 price differences are very little on the bottom line, I just wanted to add a little bit more.

This morning the Stock was flirting with $600, I put in the order at $582.99 not thinking that it would hit, but thinking that in the case there was a selloff after the $600 psychological point, it might.... I guess I was right, though, I missed the rock bottom of the day by $4 (that could have been an extra $40 to my upside!!!! ).

Bought my initial AAPL at $17 and change in 2003... been buying, after price drops, selling to take profits ever since -- some good, some bad decisions.

But, this portfolio from 2003 (now heavy AAPL) has increased 14 x (after withdrawing initial investment).

Ahh... but for a few profit taking sales....

By comparison the same investment in gold for the same length of time increased 5 x"

• Reply 64 of 74
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Actually. one of the reasons I like investing in AAPL is that there is so much information available -- Tim sneezes and his neighbor falls out of bed...

Seriously, Apple is always under a microscope so anyone who follows AAPL, who has a basic understanding of tech and business, can pretty much determine how the stock will perform in the next 6 months.

If that's actually true then there's no reason to expect Apple to outperform the market. If the whole market knows what to expect, why wouldn't those expectations already be priced into the stock? If EVERYONE expected Apple to be worth $800 based on $60 EPS, why wouldn't it be worth $800 today?
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:

Buy is not a proper noun. Nor is Stock, or Sell. Or a few others you keep capitalizing...
  • Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

If that's actually true then there's no reason to expect Apple to outperform the market. If the whole market knows what to expect, why wouldn't those expectations already be priced into the stock? If EVERYONE expected Apple to be worth $800 based on $60 EPS, why wouldn't it be worth $800 today?

The information is accessible...

That doesn't mean that "EVERYONE" knows it, understands it or is willing/able to act on it!

• Reply 67 of 74
    Quote:

The information is accessible...

That doesn't mean that "EVERYONE" knows it, understands it or is willing/able to act on it!

Or agrees with it?
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Or agrees with it?

I'll show you mine... If you show me yours!
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Sometimes I wonder how some of you guys have lived through being shareholders of anything with some of these "born yesterday" comments. Lol.

So, because AAPL is expected to get to $800.... They won't get to $800?

.... Wait, what?!
  • Reply 70 of 74
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Some potential Apple announcements to bump the stock before WWDC/iOS 6/OS X Mountainlion:
    • New MBAs

This year is going to be quite exciting for Apple (the company, users, fanboys, shareholders, etc.) - the New iPad is just a preview of things to come.

I could see there being a new 15" MBA, as has been rumored.

I also predict that the MBP line will get "Retina" (4K) displays, to provide differentiation from the MBA and also to maintain higher ASPs. The extra thickness of the MPB (even if it ends up being thinner than the current version) will allow for a bigger battery to power these displays. We already know that Ivy Bridge will support 4K video, so this isn't as far-fetched as it might seem. It also seems that I'm not the only one hoping for this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5437/t...-of-ces-2012/3

Along the same likes, I can also see a iMac refresh with 4K displays in the future, though this is probably more likely to happen next year once the cost of the larger 4K panels comes down.

Then there's the iPhone 5 being released later in the year. This will likely be a change in form factor, plus many iPhone 4 subscribers will be at the end of their contracts and ready to upgrade. Therefore big sales.

And don't forget the explosive growth in China, India, and other countries.

Yes, this is going to be a great year for Apple!
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:

Sometimes I wonder how some of you guys have lived through being shareholders of anything with some of these "born yesterday" comments. Lol.

So, because AAPL is expected to get to $800.... They won't get to $800?

.... Wait, what?!

I assume you're talking about my comments?

I didn't say or imply what you suggest. If Apple is expected, by everyone, to get to $800, it will BE AT $800 tomorrow. Because if you knew something was going to be worth $800, wouldn't you buy all you could at $600? Thus the price rises quickly to the price everyone thinks it's worth.

The point is, despite the echo chamber that is this forum, there is plenty of disagreement about the future of Apple, and the fair price that everyone's votes add up to is $600. That could change, but only if Apple surprises some of the non-believers with more positive outcomes than they expect.

There are lots of things that could go wrong. Just read Apple's financial statements, they have a whole paragraph laying them out.

I just think there are so many amateurs (to investing) here that it's a dangerous situation for anyone holding the stock. In my experience with two crashes, once you start hearing from investing newcomers about how much of a sure thing a stock is, and how they need to pile in before they miss the boat, that's exactly the time to get really worried (and hedged).
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Thing is, nothing is a "sure thing", but AAPL is a good fundamental bet. Nothing more, nothing less. Newcomer investors who want to invest in such a good fundamental story, are being smart. Simple as that.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:

Thing is, nothing is a "sure thing", but AAPL is a good fundamental bet. Nothing more, nothing less. Newcomer investors who want to invest in such a good fundamental story, are being smart. Simple as that.

Exactly. So if you do your research and you find that Apple is worth more than $600, you should buy. But if you're just reading a message board where a bunch of admitted Apple fans are talking about how great of a stock that is, its important to note that you're not in a place where anyone is going to mention the reasons why you might not want to buy the stock. Or the people who do mention it don't get patted on the back but get shouted down. And researching both the ups and the downs of any investment is smart before you make the jump.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Of course, and agreed. Of course there are downsides, as there can be anywhere, however I think it's clear that the pro's heavily outweigh the cons, and even with this great run-up, AAPL is still heavily undervalued.... and the catalysts to move the stock up in 2012 itself are terrific. That's why people will argue that the downsides to AAPL SHOULD be very limited, however, when talking about where a stock will go, it's always technically hypothesizing.