First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display

1101112131416»

Comments

• Reply 301 of 307
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Fonts/typefaces are pretty complicated. I've been working with them in raw Postscript since back in the eighties and Fontogrpher in the early nineties. Fonts are generally loaded and handled in the OS. Regardless of whether we are talking about Opentype, Postscript, TrueType or bit mapped fonts for print or screen the whole management of rendering, scaling, antialiasing is completely separate from any discussion of resolution except that the smaller typeface are clearer and more legible especially at smaller sizes as the pixel density increases on the display.

Yes, I know, I've been designing fonts since the mid eighties as well, though I haven't bothered for some time now.

I don't know what we're disagreeing about.
  • Reply 302 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's an odd time... 30 min before market open...

I am hoping for a 50:1 split...

But I could see anything from a dividend, charitable trust, repatriating of overseas $ (pay taxes), acquisition or investment in manufacturing (in US)

I'd rather see almost anything but a dividend, as it would need to be regular to satisfy the large funds -- and that would concentrate the holdings even more.

It would be interesting if they could negotiate lower repatriating taxes in exchange for US manufacturing jobs.

Well, I don't want to see a buyback, as that never does anything, and I don't want to see some massive purchase.

Cook already has said that they investigated a split, and that they didn't see an advantage to it. I would agree with that. Maybe when it gets to $1,000.

I don't want to see them in manufacturing, though investing in others plants is what they do. They paid for half of Samsung's plant in Texas where their SoC's are made.

But none of that would be enough to hold a conference. It has to be something substantial. By that, I don't mean they they have to do some major change to their usage. I mean that they have to make a substantial statement as to what they are going to do, no matter what it is—even if it is to announce that they are doing nothing after all. I don't think that would be it though.

Possibly a one time payout, or a dividend, or some combo of the two.

I don't see how they could get manufacturing jobs. American workers, almost as much as European workers, simply won't work under the conditions required to make themselves competitive. How many workers would be willing to leave their families and live in barracks? How many would cut their wages by half? We don't have what is needed. China has tens of thousands, possibly more, of these semi-engineers who have an education that's between a high school degree and a college degree. They are line engineers. They walk the lines that the hundreds of thousands of workers are on, and take care of problems as they come up. We don't have people like that here.

Apple can build billion dollar server farms that have a few dozen people in the plant at any time. It's easy to afford those highly skilled and trained personnel. But not hundreds of thousands of line workers.
  • Reply 303 of 307
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know what we're disagreeing about.

Nothing significant, I'm sure, only clarifying some nuances between pure vector and predefined glyphs in terms of performance and scaling because if fonts were being handled like SVG you would have too much overhead to even be able to type an email message.
  • Reply 304 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, I don't want to see a buyback, as that never does anything, and I don't want to see some massive purchase.

Cook already has said that they investigated a split, and that they didn't see an advantage to it. A would agree with that. Maybe when it gets to $1,000.

I don't want to see them in manufacturing, though investing in others plants is what they do. They paid for half of Samsung's plant in Texas where their SoC's are made.

But none of that would be enough to hold a conference. It has to be something substantial. By that, I don't mean they they have to do some major change to their usage. I mean that they have to make a substantial statement as to what they are going to do, no matter what it is—even if it is to announce that they are doing nothing after all. I don't think theat would be it though.

Possibly a one time payout, or a dividend, or some combo of the two.

I agree on the buyback -- just shuffling deck chairs...

A substantial split would open the stock to the smaller investor -- advantages and disadvantages...

We discussed before an OTPC (One [iPad] Tablet Per Child) offering -- they could set up and administer a matching fund... supplying iPads at cost (or below) and setting up infrastructure in underdeveloped countries. There could be some substantial tax benefits to this if structured correctly. And, as we discussed I really like the long term potential for Apple and for humanity.

They could open up the iTunes store to "hard goods" -- Amazon done right!/// Nah!

They could become a massive MVNO (possible), investing in a cableco (not likely), buy content or broadcast rights -- I like this the more I think about it.

Or, LOL, they could (to paraphrase Michael Dell) "payoff the shareholders and take Apple private".

• Reply 305 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Nothing significant, I'm sure, only clarifying some nuances between pure vector and predefined glyphs in terms of performance and scaling because if fonts were being handled like SVG you would have too much overhead to even be able to type an email message.

I agree. I wasn't really talking about that. We were sort of talking by one another.
  • Reply 306 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree on the buyback -- just shuffling deck chairs...

A substantial split would open the stock to the smaller investor -- advantages and disadvantages...

We discussed before an OTPC (One [iPad] Tablet Per Child) offering -- they could set up and administer a matching fund... supplying iPads at cost (or below) and setting up infrastructure in underdeveloped countries. There could be some substantial tax benefits to this if structured correctly. And, as we discussed I really like the long term potential for Apple and for humanity.

They could open up the iTunes store to "hard goods" -- Amazon done right!/// Nah!

They could become a massive MVNO (possible), investing in a cableco (not likely), buy content or broadcast rights -- I like this the more I think about it.

Or, LOL, they could (to paraphrase Michael Dell) "payoff the shareholders and take Apple private".

I'm going to stick to the other thread for this. I didn't see it when I first started this here.
  • Reply 307 of 307
    tony12tony12 Posts: 31member
    The Retina display is what I expected, would like to see if it can give me some more surprise!

And that 1080p playable is really cool, think can make the Apple TV to be a more cool HD movies centre!