Artist changes Apple, Foxconn monologue after admitting falsehoods [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] "Daisey lied to me and 'This American Life' producer Brian Reed during the fact checking we did on the story, before it was broadcast," Glass wrote in a statement. "That doesn't excuse the fact that we never should've put this on the air. In the end, it was our mistake." [...]

Lies? No fact-checking? Never should have been put on the air?

Maybe Daisey can get a job at Fox News.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

What is nice about this site is that we can all exchange ideas about a culture we all share and enjoy without bringing divisive politics into it.

Your comment appears to be shark chum.

If he had said Rush Limbaugh instead of Michael Moore would you have posted this comment?
  • Reply 43 of 81
    I get where a lot of you are coming from but there is plenty paths to criticize Mike Daisey. Going on about his weight is lazy and uninspired. And it screams of the suggestion that you don't really know the details, nor care to.

C'mon. We're better than that.

I think it's been interesting to see that overlapping segment of the This American Life listener/Apple user Venn diagram become so conflicted. What a relief this outcome must be.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What a lying douchebag! I'd never even heard of that loser before, and I hope not to hear anything about him in the future either.

I have a great idea for his next act. I suggest that he commits suicide live during his show, in order to bring attention to the alleged workers suicide at Foxconn. I would tune in for that show and that is a worthy cause that I would consider financially supporting.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It's not "theater" it's lying.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Doubtful. The liar already had the full support of the New York Times, which helped to spread his lies, falsehoods and slander to many ignorant people and readers.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    I listened to the retraction of his show from This American Life. He is not apologetic and infact stands behind his work as is, these are his words not mine, and He refused to say he Lied which he did every time he went on the air with other news services and told them everything in his monologue was true.

When asked on This american life repeatedly if he lied about specific things his answer was always

"well I wouldn't put it that way" Never once did he admit he outright LIED. He even went on to say "all i can tell you is that i stand by what i told you that all of these things happened literally" He is a bald faced liar and should not be given any recognition and any legitimacy in any news outlet or even theater.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So you're saying that Apple's use of cheap labor in China via Foxconn is not a political issue? I beg to differ but it seems that many people bashing on Apple 'conveniently' forget that Apple is among among a vast multitude of corporations that use use labor in China and other developing countries. Also, it's not just computer technology; clothes, shoes, food, appliances, and so forth. Apple has indeed a political target for people like Daisey and Michael Moore if you read his website.

Of course it's political, as is spitting on the sidewalk in some places. That's no excuse for using the issue as a political football, as you did.

It's true that some people "conveniently" forget that Apple has to fight on the same turf as its competitors. I'm not one of them.

Again with the Michael Moore false equivalency! Cool it!

You've lost the opportunity to be taken seriously by letting your political bias get in front of the issue. I'm a liberal, and I'm also uncatagorically in Apple's corner on this one. Now, in the interests of fair disclosure, I'm also heavily invested (for my economic strata) in Apple. But there's zero doubt in my mind that Apple is being used as a scapegoat for much larger more systemic problems, and perhaps beyond that I strongly suspect that there are deep pockets egging on this attack behind the scenes. Apple has an enormous number of extremely powerful enemies and frightened competitors.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can't believe all the priceless publicity this lying lowlife is getting (recognizing that I am contributing to it too).

Very clever on his part.

?I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.?

― P.T. Barnum

Fits this guy to a tee.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

More accurately from right wing fraud James O'Keefe who took down a great organization with a completely fake video then himself committed voter fraud in another video scam.

It must hurt so bad to wish so hard that that was the truth.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Lies? No fact-checking? Never should have been put on the air?

He's already been head-hunted by the New York Times.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If he had said Rush Limbaugh instead of Michael Moore would you have posted this comment?

You have to ask?
  • Reply 53 of 81
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I remember when an "artist" used to be someone who painted stuff.

There are all kinds of artists, and they don't all just paint.

As for Mr Daisey. My issue with his monologue is that he marketed it as truth and not he's saying no, it is 'art' so not all the facts are facts at all. Plus he played games like saying he didn't remember the name of his translator or the person's number (because he didn't want anyone talking to her about what happened). When called out on the lies he pulls this "I'm not a journalist" excuse when he painted this as truth and never once claimed it was merely 'based on truth and recent rumors in the press etc'

And then there's the fact that he was stupid enough to think he would get away with this. That no one would find his translator or that she wouldn't find out what he was saying or would just shrug it off. It's embarrassing that this man, who some were treating as some kind of workers rights messiah, could be that dumb. it's up there with Gizmodo admitting that they paid money for a stolen prototype right on their blog rather than posting the info and claiming a source sent it to them so they could use shield laws.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

hat's probably OK to keep on since Daisey seems to cling to the lies when he says his translator doesn't remember what he does. I guess calling her a liar would be too ironic!

Now we know why he wasn't using filmed moments with the folks he talked to. it would have been a much more powerful moment to see a clip of the man with the mangled hand talking about what happened. And seeing him see that finished iPad.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    mkunertmkunert Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Sure. Just as soon as all those deriding Michael Moore link to a legitimate news source that he is a liar.

Kinda childish response, but okay...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...nheit_911.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvmQHo8I9TI

And there's this Daisey like denial:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/20...-piers-morgan/

Your turn.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tortlebow View Post

Yep, it is all about the money... Daisey was making $$$$$$ from this and "This American Life" was making $$$$$$$$$$ from this. (Public Radio and Ira Glass are for PROFIT - maybe not actual dollars for these two but certainly reputation and success in fund raising!!!)

So, profit wins over truth - every time! I listened to the "retraction" this weekend. Ira and company did give Daisey opportunity for retraction and asked "tough" questions AND then spent 20 minutes whining that they had been used. AND THEN spent 20 minutes trying to show how "most" of Daisey's monolog was "substantially correct."

They were squirming like a worm on a hook and like most over-the-hill organizations applying MAJOR spin doctor techniques to make it look "as good as possible." Desperate damage control!!!

The subtext:

"See how honest we are. We were USED and by the way we weren't that dishonest. We found a way to look BIG by attacking the most successful company on the planet. And look how we were able to damage it. Aren't we important?" ??!??!

Case Study: FOX NEWS.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Of course it's political, as is spitting on the sidewalk in some places. That's no excuse for using the issue as a political football, as you did.

It's true that some people "conveniently" forget that Apple has to fight on the same turf as its competitors. I'm not one of them.

Again with the Michael Moore false equivalency! Cool it!

You've lost the opportunity to be taken seriously by letting your political bias get in front of the issue. I'm a liberal, and I'm also uncatagorically in Apple's corner on this one. Now, in the interests of fair disclosure, I'm also heavily invested (for my economic strata) in Apple. But there's zero doubt in my mind that Apple is being used as a scapegoat for much larger more systemic problems, and perhaps beyond that I strongly suspect that there are deep pockets egging on this attack behind the scenes. Apple has an enormous number of extremely powerful enemies and frightened competitors.

Why do you keep talking about Michael Moore and politics? The people you reply to aren't mentioning anything about politics.

Saying I think Daisey and Moore have a lot in common and are both insincere, lying idiots is in no way a political statement. As far as I know neither are politicians or claim to represent a political party. Why do you insist on trying to make it political?
  • Reply 58 of 81
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I knew the Apple store protesters were morons.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I knew the Apple store protesters were morons.

If they are doing it because of Daisey's words then they were duped fools but I wouldn't lump all protestors into that same pile. I'm sure there are some that are noble in their posture even if you and I don't agree with their message.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Case Study: FOX NEWS.

What does FOX NEWS have to do with this story?

It is the New York Times that is directly connected to this story. It was the New York Times that gave the proven liar, Daisy, a platform, helping the liar to spread their lies. It is the New York Times that seems to have an agenda against Apple, with their BS stories. No wonder Apple recently dissed the New York Times by blacklisting them for a certain event. Screw the New York Times. Don't deflect away from the truth by mentioning something that has nothing to do with this topic.

It is the leftist media and liberal douchebag activists who are attacking Apple and spreading lies.