AT&T sets single-day record for iPad sales, activations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Don't forget, Verizon also has major network LTE outages....4 since December! Ask those customers how it felt to bounce back to CDMA!

Sorry an outage is doable , lack of an option on my iPad is not.

Been there done that -when Europe and everywhere else could tether their iPhones while we w AT&t could not. Then we had no choice. It's a whole new ball game.

What is your option once you gobble up 250mbs? $15 more?
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Does Vz dynamically update the map during those outages?

You get a credit.

How much do you pay AT&T once you gobble up 250MB? Another $15?
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slesherinyork View Post

As far as Verizon or AT&T... If not in a LTE market which I am not I'm sticking with my AT&T plan because of the iPad falling back to a HSPA+ network. Between by iPhone 4S and the new iPad I ping on average 70 to 90 and average around 5Mbps.

I had no issues again transferring my unlimited data plan to the new iPad. Did it through the web portal on the web but found out later I could have done it right through the iPad which was my only complaint about AT&T is that they didn't inform of the process they would have in place. I was however told by several different people at AT&T if you have an unlimited plan and transfer you will not have your data throttled since the orginal agreement didn't have data caps hence as to why they pulled the plan a couple of month later. I'll test this out here shortly when I'm in NYC and Orlando and plan to stream a lot from NHL.

Make sense - as you're on an unlimited. Hopefully you won't get throttled.

I only keep my AT&T iPhone ONLY because I too am grandfathered in.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

You get a credit.

How much do you pay AT&T once you gobble up 250mbs? Another $15?

Ahh, another option I would not have going with AT&T.

$0.00 I would not bother with a 250MB plan. Being an iPad user since rev 1.0 I'd know that 250MB wouldn't last a week. I size my plan better.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You might be better off with the 3GB and $10 per additional gig because they won't throttle you. If you are on the unlimited plan and reach 3 GB they can throttle you down to almost unusable speeds. That is what am thinking I may do if I go over and they throttle me. Either that or call them up and complain since I never even get close to 3 GB ever so if I did it would be a rare exception, but you never know with LTE, it could add up quickly.

I haven't had that problem and I even stream a lot. I suppose its an easy switch if it became a problem. I still prefer wifi though due to battery utilization.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:

$0.00 I would not bother with a 250MB plan. Being an iPad user since rev 1.0 I'd know that 250MB wouldn't last a week. I size my plan better.

You could get 10GB for $80 w VZ- no? Is that sized too high for you?
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:

Sorry for the double post n errors - home w a cold.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:

Sorry for the double post n errors - home w a cold.

One iPad sized at 3GB, one that gets turned on and off when hitting road trips so it's monthly, one iPad at unlimited. The big seller for me is decent network speed when I'm out of LTE areas. If you never wander out of LTE or AT&T UMTS/HSPA/HSPA/LTE coverage in your area blows, then who can disagree with your choice? Be happy and stop calling other people's choices "crippled"
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

One iPad sized at 3GB, one that gets turned on and off when hitting road trips so it's monthly, one iPad at unlimited. The big seller for me is decent network speed when I'm out of LTE areas. If you never wander out of LTE or AT&T UMTS/HSPA/HSPA/LTE coverage in your area blows, then who can disagree with your choice? Be happy and stop calling other people's choices "crippled"

OK. Makes sense.

But I wasn't calling their choices crippled, it's their iPads that are. At least for now.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

It an option you don't have and how do you know your going to get it soon? Link?

And if AT&T charges you? You say you don't want it yet seem like you do???

How is it easy to leave their footprint? Link again please.

Their map is extraoridary for LTE. http://network4g.verizonwireless.com...verage_Map.pdf

That is impressive, especially coming from the one of the biggest CDMA holdouts.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    Actuallynat&t said that ipadsmare not been throttle on the unlimited plan. I did transfer my unlimited just by login to my AT&T account on the new iPad. No need to call them...

Speeds I'm getting 16m down and 14m up. In other cities in the US people aremgettingn40-50m down. Since 16 is way more than my home wifi I'm thinking of ending the service...
  • Reply 32 of 51
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    Arguing which is worse - AT&T or Verizon - is a complete waste of time. They both are terrible. Pick your poison, but remember your choice is really poison.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

That is impressive, especially coming from the one of the biggest CDMA holdouts.

I think that's the part I find most ironic about some posts - quick to slam AT&T for labeling HSPA+ as 4G but so willing to a accept slow ass CDMA 2000 as 3G. Turnabout is fair play (unless you're married; then it's only fair if it's her).
  • Reply 34 of 51
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Actuallynat&t said that ipadsmare not been throttle on the unlimited plan. I did transfer my unlimited just by login to my AT&T account on the new iPad. No need to call them...

Speeds I'm getting 16m down and 14m up. In other cities in the US people aremgettingn40-50m down. Since 16 is way more than my home wifi I'm thinking of ending the service...

Are people really getting 40-50m down with AT&T's service? I can't seem to get that if I begged. I was struggling to get 9 or 10 with AT&T but with Verizon I was getting 29 down and 20 up...
  • Reply 35 of 51
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I disagree. The AT&T entry point is lower than Verizon's ($15 versus $20). Most of us use free wifi and only want 4G when we are in between wifi networks. AT&T also gives you 1GB more than Verizon at the $30 price point. Where I live, AT&T 4G LTE was much faster. 9to5 Mac also reached the same conclusion. If you leave a Verizon 4G footprint (still easy to do), you are stuck with their awful 3G CDMA.

The hot spot feature will be offered by AT&T soon. However, I don't think that many people want to lug around an iPad for a wifi hotspot.....the iPhone is a much better alternative.

Can you point me to the article on 9to5mac that says AT&T has faster LTE than Verizon? I haven't been able to verify that.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:

I think that's the part I find most ironic about some posts - quick to slam AT&T for labeling HSPA+ as 4G but so willing to a accept slow ass CDMA 2000 as 3G. Turnabout is fair play (unless you're married; then it's only fair if it's her).

I find it truly ironic that anyone on this site would accept AT&T's crippling an Apple iDevice because of their incompetency or trickery/thievery. That's all. It would only make sense if you had a grandfathered unlimited plan but now they may throttle you on that too.

I could care less what they call their 3.5G network.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Can you point me to the article on 9to5mac that says AT&T has faster LTE than Verizon? I haven't been able to verify that.

I couldn't find it either- sounds very Mike Daisyish.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

Arguing which is worse - AT&T or Verizon - is a complete waste of time. They both are terrible. Pick your poison, but remember your choice is really poison.

Tru dat- with the exception being that one cripples the device while the other one enhances it.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Tru dat- with the exception being that one cripples the device while the other one enhances it.

Which one does what depends on where you live, so each poison tastes good (well, for poison) depending on where it's made.

You wouldn't really consider deep dish pizza proper Chicago style unless it's made there, and you wouldn't eat saltwater taffy from Nebraska.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which one does what depends on where you live, so each poison tastes good (well, for poison) depending on where it's made.

You wouldn't really consider deep dish pizza proper Chicago style unless it's made there, and you wouldn't eat saltwater taffy from Nebraska.

I do suppose if I lived in Appalachia I'd opt for the AT&T version since I wouldn't be able to get LTE coverage be either anyway. No one else could afford an iDevice to hotspot onto me either. That's a lot of what ifs....