AT&T sets single-day record for iPad sales, activations

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I do suppose if I lived in Appalachia I'd opt for the AT&T version since I wouldn't be able to get LTE coverage be either anyway. No one else could afford an iDevice to hotspot onto me either. That's a lot of what ifs....

I see only one: if Verizon has better service where you live, go with them. If AT&T has better service where you live, go with them.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I activated an AT&T iPad just to test it against the Verizon one right before I took it back to the store
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:

Tru dat- with the exception being that one cripples the device while the other one enhances it.

So, just like how Verizon has crippled the iPhone....no data and voice multitasking on 3G?
  • Reply 44 of 51
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

I find it truly ironic that anyone on this site would accept AT&T's crippling an Apple iDevice because of their incompetency or trickery/thievery. That's all. It would only make sense if you had a grandfathered unlimited plan but now they may throttle you on that too.

I could care less what they call their 3.5G network.

Clearly you do care since you've renamed it above and called them out for, what was it?, deceptive advertising. When faced with challenges to your premise, you have just bypassed. Now they are liars and thieves - just AT&T that is. I suppose if anyone of import cared about our opinions we'd all be sued for libel at one point or another. I've been AT&T Wireless, Cingular, Verizon wireless, tmobile, Vodafone and now AT&T wireless (again) in my life. If possible, I won't connect my gear to a mostly crippled and deadened technology (CDMA-2000). IMHO LTE is too early in it's rollout to rely on it with any carrier.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, just like how Verizon has crippled the iPhone....no data and voice multitasking on 3G?

Exactly and in that case I chose AT&T - I'm not prejudiced.

Nor do I make up excessive inane excuses for them either on how it will come to be, how it's not their fault (these are 2 diff technologies actually not really comparable - VZ did not have an option to offer it), etc etc.

Bottom line- AT&T should have offered it at launch- there is NO excuse.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I activated an AT&T iPad just to test it against the Verizon one right before I took it back to the store

What were the results?

Which did u return? AT&T it reads like but just want to make sure.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Bottom line- AT&T should have offered it at launch- there is NO excuse.

Offered what? They did. Do you mean Verizon? How would that have worked? Physical impossibility seems to be a valid excuse.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Offered what? They did. Do you mean Verizon? How would that have worked? Physical impossibility seems to be a valid excuse.

HOTSPOTTING

Dude- where have you been for the last week?
  • Reply 49 of 51
    [QUOTE=tyler82;2076015]ATT is the most unorganized garbage company I have ever dealt with. I don't know how a company run by idiots can become so successful. Strong arm tactics maybe? Bullies were never considered smart.[/of class makes this forum cringe.

You're ignorant.

Pay your bill !
  • Reply 50 of 51
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    The article states

Quote:

Predictions have called for Apple to sell one million of the new iPad over the launch weekend alone.

The have sold over 3 million without including preorders since friday.

It also says
    Quote:

Investors generally expect Apple to sell 10.1 million total iPads in the current fiscal quarter, which concludes at the end of this month.

There already 1/3 of the way there without preorders in just two days lol.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    And the REAL REASON LTE sucks on AT&T and for their data caps and throttling... drumroll please...

GREED

"The real limitation with LTE is the backhaul that?s running into the bottom of the CellPhone towers"

"AT&T and other carrier throttling has little to do with their actual network capabilities and much more to do with maximizing the profitability of the infrastructure that?s already in the ground."

http://thepbxblog.com/2012/02/05/ban...lous/#more-508

"throttling is an excuse to delay upgrading the network to meet the demands of the users. It is clear that AT&T could alleviate the network issues that they?re having through strategic investments and would simply rather throttle users to increase the return on their investment. This is an extremely profitable short term strategy, but it is a recipe for disaster long term. AT&T actually profits more when people use their equipment than when they don?t. This push away from unlimited data and towards buckets of data is nothing but naked greed."