Apple stock closes past $600 milestone for first time

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And they're worth, what, 17x what Dell is now?

The awesomest part? Michael Dell can never unsay that. Ever.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am sorry my initial comment started this for you, it seems to have become a bit rough ... I was seriously just suggesting you skip the financial posts as I always try to skip anything that looks like turning into a USA style right v left political hate fest ... and regarding your reply to my suggestion you join us with a few shares, IMHO Apple has a very long way to go and it is not too late to make a significant gain and now with dividends no less

Oh that's ok, thanks for your comment. I didn't intend to stir up a debate. It's a shame this forum often gets so personal. The way the world economy is going Apple seems to be one of the few companies doing so well. It?s still not for me but I hope the shares keep going up for you. It?s nice to see Apple users doing so well. I hope they spend the rest of their cash pile on some interesting acquisitions. I've just about run out of Apple products left to buy so a few more choices would be welcome. I won't bother to post again on share related threads.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:

I often debate which is funnier ... that one or RIM's comments about Apple not understanding the phone market when the iPhone was released. .

I won't even give any of Ballmer's foot in mouth comments a mention ...

Palms's former CEO Ed Colligan said that in 2006.

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,'' he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.''
  • Reply 44 of 57
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 238member
    Wow, there have been some truly incendiary posts today. All over the decision to return capital to Apple's shareholders.

Whatever your interest in this website--investor, user, troll (a seriously overused descriptor), etc--I think you can all agree that this is a big day for Apple, Inc.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I can admit when I'm wrong, and I've definitely made a couple of wrong moves lately. I guess my excuse is that I am new to this whole thing, so it was kind of exciting.

I did sell today, so I'm holding nothing at the moment. But, I am definitely going long soon, when the next opportunity presents itself. I am not waiting for a huge pullback, because that might not happen, and people will end up waiting forever, but I am waiting on a little pullback at least.

Forget a pullback, just buy and hold. The stock is cheap, the foreseeable future is bright.

I bought almost 200 shares when AAPL peaked in the $400's just before their BS "miss" (which wasn't a miss). I had to sit through a whole quarter seeing my account decrease by well over $10K after the weird manipulated stock drop. So I bought more shares in the high $300's. Sure, at the time I felt pretty dumb for buying at the stocks peak price, but I knew my logical side was telling me to "chill". Now, obviously, it has payed off so far.

Don't play the petty games with AAPL stock, which is what I learned in my experiences. Buy it when you feel its a good value, keep it simple. It usually works out best this way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I will do just that coz honestly all this share price and dividends stuff bores me to death.

If you didn't invest 2 or 3 years ago before the share price skyrocketed there really is no point investing now. To get the same returns APPL would have to rise to $1200.

Good luck with your shares. I hope they make you very rich. It's not for me though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Is it really. I thought it was just someone expressing an honest opinion. I don't think the share price will reach the levels some of you believe so I have better options. However I don't like to tell others what to do or not to do so if anyone wants to buy APPL good luck to them but it's not for me.

Firstly, excuse the tone, but I'm gonna be blunt. I'm speaking from experience here as your remarks remind me of what I was trying to tell myself when I was watching AAPL go through the high $300's after I made the mistake to sell numerous times earlier.

Man, you REALLY have NO idea of what you're talking about here. You are a classic pessimist toward a stock because you're too scared to jump in and are bitter at everyone else reaping the rewards because they decide to take on a risk that they believe in. AAPL will one day be over $1K, most likely, and you will be bitterly saying how "it's not for me, and at $600 it could have been a good buy, but not at these levels".

This is the INVESTMENT section of the forum! Don't be afraid to dip a toe in! You might just like it and decide to jump right in. Being a fan of a company you invest in can be a beautiful thing. Just do your homework and due diligence. There's a reason that people call AAPL the best all around, multi-level investment in the market, especially at these LOW levels (the dividend just really made it all that much more dynamic to own), and it isn't because of some BS emotive garb.... or if it is, then that isn't why the smart investors are investing.... it's because of classic, very hard fundamentals, which is why the stock is appreciating (correcting) right before our eyes.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The threads about the shareholders meeting or the Apple board of directors are probably the most revealing. You can tell who actually owns shares and who doesn't.

About this, how does one attend those meetings? Is it open to any shareholder? First come first serve? I received the ballot voting thing in my Email, but never bothered to look into how one can attend that if they wanted to.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Steve did manage to manage shareholders. About Tim, that's another story.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,'' he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.''

Oh right that's right, It was of the keyboard comments from RIM .. you know ... the need for a physical one I was thinking of
  • Reply 49 of 57
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

What's ironic is that the phone guys never figured it out...
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Well, the funny thing is that I've made this comment several times before (here at AI and elsewhere) with the same deliberate inaccuracy and no one has called me on it.

Which goes to show how little people are paying attention to such matters.

Well I did infer it was hard to believe but I was too busy to run and check fact you at the time. I can't speak for 'people' but speaking personally, the number of shares held by private individuals has never been a factoid that influenced my buying of AAPL. I go by 33 years of working with Apple as a company and with their products.

If it floats your boat to make stuff up who am I to burst your bubble?

Not sure I can see why you'd do that but hey... I've seen weirder past times. I will make a note to ignore your comments from now on as you confess you just make stuff up. Thanks for the tip off.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

About this, how does one attend those meetings? Is it open to any shareholder? First come first serve? I received the ballot voting thing in my Email, but never bothered to look into how one can attend that if they wanted to.

I always get the details along with that ton of paper work regarding proxy votes. I vote on line but I wish they would have a way to consolidate all the various trenches of shares into a single vote. Maybe there is a way to do this but if so it's kind of as easy to find as how to change your Apple ID
  • Reply 52 of 57
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Only 25,000? That is fascinating stuff. The way people go on about it, you'd think that the entire world owned a few shares. I feel pretty special now.

That number is grossly misleading and essentially meaningless. if you're a person who likes all the fuss and bother of obtaining, holding and disposing of physical, paper share certificates, by all means you can be a "shareholder of record," but don't be upset when you're charged an arm and a leg for transfer costs or if your broker sneers at you. See this Q&A from Apple's most recent proxy statement to understand why:

What is the difference between a shareholder of record and a beneficial owner of shares held in street name?

Shareholder of Record . If your shares are registered directly in your name with the Company’s transfer agent, Computershare Investor Services, LLC (“ Computershare ”), you are considered the shareholder of record with respect to those shares, and the Notice was sent directly to you by the Company. If you request printed copies of the proxy materials by mail, you will receive a proxy card.

Beneficial Owner of Shares Held in Street Name . If your shares are held in an account at a brokerage firm, bank, broker-dealer, or other similar organization, then you are the beneficial owner of shares held in “street name,” and the Notice was forwarded to you by that organization. The organization holding your account is considered the shareholder of record for purposes of voting at the Annual Meeting. As a beneficial owner, you have the right to instruct that organization on how to vote the shares held in your account. Those instructions are contained in a “vote instruction form.” If you request printed copies of the proxy materials by mail, you will receive a vote instruction form.

If you actually want to sit on a folding chair at the annual meeting and avail yourself of the free coffee and doughnuts, however, according to Apple you have to be a registered owner.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

If your name is registered as a shareholder, you can attend.

Just send an email Apple Investor Relations asking them for details. I am sure they would be very happy to tell you.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:

I always get the details along with that ton of paper work regarding proxy votes. I vote on line but I wish they would have a way to consolidate all the various trenches of shares into a single vote. Maybe there is a way to do this but if so it's kind of as easy to find as how to change your Apple ID

See your broker. Get any physical shares out of your house, safety deposit box or buried under your backyard garden and into your brokerage account. They'll keep all your stuff organized by record date and number of shares, while consolidating your proxy materials. So what if you don't get invited to the annual meeting? You'll find better coffee and snacks at your local Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:

And by the way, a trench is something you dig. A tranche is a financial classification, in particular a portion of a stock issue or a loan like a bond issue sold in steps. If you bury your tranches in your trench, far be it from me to hold you back!
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

And by the way, a trench is something you dig. A tranche is a financial classification, in particular a portion of a stock issue or a loan like a bond issue sold in steps. If you bury your tranches in your trench, far be it from me to hold you back!

Thank you for the spelling correction, it was actually a typo I used the word a lot when I ran a large company with a room full of chartered accountants on the payroll but I confess I never dug a trench so I should have caught that one.

By the way, the word 'tranche' comes from the French word to cut or slice and is where the English word trench (ditch) comes from So your little quibble is ironically quite funny. Touché.. or should that be touch?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

See your broker. Get any physical shares out of your house, safety deposit box or buried under your backyard garden and into your brokerage account. They'll keep all your stuff organized by record date and number of shares, while consolidating your proxy materials. So what if you don't get invited to the annual meeting? You'll find better coffee and snacks at your local Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

I manage all my own shares on line thanks, all very well organized.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Apple needs to purchase TomTom, Twitter, and a major gaming studio to further their interests. Dividends were a bad idea.