Static electric discharge: $250,000

Mild discomfort of any kind: free iPod Touch

Mild embarrassment: free $50 iTunes Gift Card

you seriously made me lol
  • Reply 123 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ewiz77 View Post

this is a joke.

Why not, our court system will award someone for doing something as stupid as taking the lid off their coffee, putting it in their lap, then driving off. Why wouldn't they give someone money for this? Personal responsibility has left this country, it's been replaced by the gimme culture. Everyone get your handout!
  • Reply 124 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

There are very obvious labels on the glass. This woman is just stupid and should be embarrassed rather than angry.

A sure sign of immaturity is not being able to laugh at yourself. 80 years old & still not grown up.
  • Reply 125 of 160
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Just when I think Americans can't get any dumber. We are so lazy in this country and nothing is ever our fault. How fast could she have possibly been walking and how forward was she leaning to have hit her nose on the door first and to have broken it? I hope she doesn't get a dollar out of this. Or maybe, it would be even better to pay her one dollar less than whatever fees she is having to pay for legal representation.

All I have to say is.... don't believe everything you read on the internet. Also at that age it's possible that her vision and depth perception are pretty bad.
  • Reply 126 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

appleinsider really should have posted the picture of the store front. (macrumours)

yes the glass is clear... but there are four rows of grey balls on the floor where the display window section is... i would guess four feet worth... and i would assume that they are there to prevent or make it very hard for a smash-and-grab. thus, even if the glass was not there, if woulf be very difficult to walk over those balls. thus it is common sense that you should use the door, and not wall over the balls.

I think apple should change the white lines on the glass to hollow apple icons...

i wonder if this lady has problems with the sliding glass door in her house... i've walked into those. (a note to the family of that granny... make sure to supervise her entry/exit to/from the patio... she has a history of crashing into glass)

Good point, if it wasn't for the glass she would have flipped over the bars & busted her face open. There isn't any real way to look at this without realizing these people are opportunists just look looking to make easy money.
  • Reply 127 of 160
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

No not case and point. Read the facts of the Hot Coffee case. I even posted a nice link for it earlier. 180-190 degree coffee caused burns over 22% of her body in 2-3 seconds, including 3rd degree to 6% of her body. The boiling point for water is 212. Sit down on something that will trap the water and pour near boiling water in your crotch and see what happens. Spilling it was her fault (which was why McDonald's was viewed as only 70% at fault), but it was significantly over the temperature it should have been served at, which was all their fault.

And there is a lot more to this story. The woman was not driving, she was in the passenger seat. She spilled the coffee just taking the lid off to add milk and sugar. The coffee was hot enough that her clothes adhered to her body. Originally, she was only trying to get McDonalds to help out by paying her medical bills, but they refused to do so offering only $800. Prior to the lawsuit, they tried to settle again, primarily to pay for the medical bills, but McDonalds refused to settle. A mediator tried to get McDonalds to settle for $225,000 (the hospital bills were in the $130-150k range), but they refused. Once it went to trial, the jury found out that McDonalds had had a number of complaints and lawsuits before without taking any action, so they awarded 2 days worth of coffee sales (2.7M) in punitive damages because of the callousness in their dealings with the lady. In the end, the settlement was reduced to punitive damages of less than half a million.

That said, the McDonalds case and treatment for 3rd degree burns running more than $100k is a far cry from a broken nose ... In this case, the lawyer does not question that there are markings on the doors, but he claims that his defendant sees well and still did not see them. Personally, I think the point is that even if she sees well, that does not mean that she was paying attention to where she was walking. This case could just as easily be a lawsuit against a city for uneven pavement ....
  • Reply 128 of 160
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

No not case and point. Read the facts of the Hot Coffee case. I even posted a nice link for it earlier. 180-190 degree coffee caused burns over 22% of her body in 2-3 seconds, including 3rd degree to 6% of her body. The boiling point for water is 212. Sit down on something that will trap the water and pour near boiling water in your crotch and see what happens. Spilling it was her fault (which was why McDonald's was viewed as only 70% at fault), but it was significantly over the temperature it should have been served at, which was all their fault.

I'm plenty aware of the case. Some other points never mentioned are:

-she was ony awarded $160k- her out of pocket medical

-she was awarded $2.7 million in punitive damages (a rare judgement that sends a message to the corporation)

That $2.8 million total the judge lowered to $640k

"$2.8 million for spilled coffee? What an outrage!" you might say. What if I told the doubters that there were 700 cases the prior 10 years that received a settlement and McDonald's knew and actually told their franchises that regardless of the complaints and settlements, they still wanted the holding temperature to be 180 degrees- even the you would suffer at the least a severe 2nd degree burn and possible 3rd degree burns.

Now flip the script- its your 20 something wife who spilled the coffee in her lap. It ruins her reproductive organs and you can't bear children. Then you find out all McDonald's had to do was lower the temperature 10 degrees and it wouldn't have done that. Well guess what- that $2.7 million (reduced to $650k) made McDonald's end up changing their holding temperature to 170 degrees. Case solved. Law suits are a great thing in a lot of cases and put us on the same playing field as billion dollar companies. Don't let the money (corporations) blind you with misinformation and part-truths. Educate yourself and keep your rights as an American. Tort reform blows.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Reread his comment. He's agreeing with you.

This
  • Reply 129 of 160
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

And there is a lot more to this story. The woman was not driving, she was in the passenger seat. She spilled the coffee just taking the lid off to add milk and sugar. The coffee was hot enough that her clothes adhered to her body. Originally, she was only trying to get McDonalds to help out by paying her medical bills, but they refused to do so offering only $800. Prior to the lawsuit, they tried to settle again, primarily to pay for the medical bills, but McDonalds refused to settle. A mediator tried to get McDonalds to settle for $225,000 (the hospital bills were in the $130-150k range), but they refused. Once it went to trial, the jury found out that McDonalds had had a number of complaints and lawsuits before without taking any action, so they awarded 2 days worth of coffee sales (2.7M) in punitive damages because of the callousness in their dealings with the lady. In the end, the settlement was reduced to punitive damages of less than half a million.

That said, the McDonalds case and treatment for 3rd degree burns running more than $100k is a far cry from a broken nose ... In this case, the lawyer does not question that there are markings on the doors, but he claims that his defendant sees well and still did not see them. Personally, I think the point is that even if she sees well, that does not mean that she was paying attention to where she was walking. This case could just as easily be a lawsuit against a city for uneven pavement ....

I typed mine before I read yours.
  • Reply 130 of 160
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Yeah I gotta call bullshyt.

How do you not see the window, nor the actual DOOR HANDLES on the glass door?

Based on that picture it wasnt initially clear to me whether the balls were inside or outside of the shop and I have better than 20/20 vision.
  • Reply 131 of 160
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ewiz77 View Post

this is a joke.

How so? It is common knowledge that you should place visual cues on large expanses of glass that someone might otherwise mistake for open passage.
  • Reply 132 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

How so? It is common knowledge that you should place visual cues on large expanses of glass that someone might otherwise mistake for open passage.

For birds, perhaps.
  • Reply 133 of 160
    This angers me to no end. So some old bag walks her greedy self into a glass door.

So if she was walking out the of store, what did she think would protect the entrance? A magic door of hopes and dreams?

Then to make matters worse, not only is she stupid, but she's greedy. Or should I say maybe her wretched kids who are putting her up to this are greedy little idiots.

I mean, does anyone every take any personal responsibility for anything in the USA? Then a million dollars for a crusty, old, chewed-up, can't smell, purple nose? Give me a break.

Stankin' old greed bag!

-Alex
  • Reply 134 of 160
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Is it also hard to believe that a store has a door? In all her 83 years has she never entered a store or seen a glass door?

I"m curious about whether the door was closed. Every Apple store I have been to has either sliding doors or they have the doors locked in an open position all the time when the store is open (unless it is raining or snowing)
  • Reply 135 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look at the pictures on Macrumors:

http://www.macrumors.com/

Now explain how she has a reasonable claim. There are several feet of silver balls on the floor.

Moot since that is part of a display and might not have been present at the time of her incident or in the area where she was walking.
  • Reply 136 of 160
    Yes...it could have been prevented. If only she was watching where she was going.

Any Apple store I have been to has always had something just on the other side of those glass walls. What...was she planing on navigating he agile little old self between all those cables and hanging displays, and kicking her way through the silver balls on the floor?

Old or not, if she "sees well", she obviously wasn't paying attention.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Actually, I don't think this claim is entirely without merit.

A clean plate-glass window that has no visible frame and goes from ground to ceiling is, essentially, invisible. I've walked into such things before, albeit with no after effects beyond bruised pride, and I'm no dunce about modern architecture (it was my first choice of career).

In the UK, such plate-glass 'walls' generally have patterns or lines etched into them at approximately eye-level so that there is, at close quarters, a visual barrier which prevents most if not all people colliding with them.

Apple undoubtedly has third-party liability insurance for this sort of event and it will almost certainly settle long before the case comes to a formal hearing. That doesn't mean that the 'little old lady' is taking them for a ride though. She was injured and the injury was something that could have been foreseen and prevented with a small amount of care and forethought.

It's not a joke, and it's not an 'only in America' thing either. I'm one of Apple's biggest fans (I've spent ungodly amounts of money on Apple kit!) and I'm still capable of seeing that she has genuine cause here. The $1m is a lawyer's starting-pistol it's not her ultimate game plan, I'm sure. I dare say she'll settle for a fraction of that. After all, broken noses cost money to fix! I'd say it will probably be settled for the cost of her treatment, plus a reasonable sum for inconvenience, pain and distress, so probably treatment plus $25k maybe. And we'll probably never know, since it'll be tidied up nicely in a confidentiality agreement!

• Reply 137 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Based on that picture it wasnt initially clear to me whether the balls were inside or outside of the shop and I have better than 20/20 vision.

THat the doors just to the top of the balls are locked in an open position would have been your clue if you were actually there
  • Reply 138 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Just when I think Americans can't get any dumber. We are so lazy in this country and nothing is ever our fault. How fast could she have possibly been walking and how forward was she leaning to have hit her nose on the door first and to have broken it? I hope she doesn't get a dollar out of this. Or maybe, it would be even better to pay her one dollar less than whatever fees she is having to pay for legal representation.

There's an episode of Justice League Unlimited where John Stewart is standing trial on an alien world and the judges say that they solved their lawyer problem by forcing the lawyers to adhere to the same penalty of their clients if they lost. In some cases, this would be one of the best things that could ever happened to this country.

Apple should offer to settle with an iTunes Gift Card

Edit: @msantti beat me to it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

1 million dollar iTunes gift card!

• Reply 139 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple should offer to settle with an iTunes Gift Card

A custom gift card, just for her. Something like this.

• Reply 140 of 160
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I say go for it old lady. Those greedy bastards at Apple have more money than they know what to do with, so screw them for all you can get. I hope you enjoy the payout.