Mike Daisey apologizes for his exaggerations and falsehoods involving Apple in China

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Good Point!! But he is rather rotund isn't he.

He does look like he could chow down a ton of egg rolls.

Where is the class action lawsuit from the theatergoers to get their money back?
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Good Point!! But he is rather rotund isn't he.

Quite.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

This lying fk has been charging $70 and $80 dollars a ticket to his one man show. He in fact is the one who has been exploiting Chinese workers! Regardless of his weight, he is a sensationalist, a profiteer, and a disgusting human being.

QFT. Apple is giving jobs to tens of thousands of people who stand in line for the jobs because they would otherwise have to do backbreaking farm labor.

Daisey is using them to line his own pockets - and giving them nothing in return. In fact, by steering people away from Apple, the customers are likely to be buying products where the employees are treated worse.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Remember Jerry, it's not a lie if you believe it.

--George Costanza
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Dear AppleInsider,

People in this post are railing on this guy Daisey and call him all sorts of nasty things but I post this in another post:

Quote:

That is rather offensive.

Special needs children are infinitely more intelligent.

and you give me an infraction.

Either you are currently getting RSI writing infraction notices for this lot or you are a hypocrite.

Not that I condone Daisey's actions though.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    droodroo Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Sorry for the harshness of this post, but I think Apple and Tim Cook should sue the living crap out of this blowhard moron to make sure such lies and distortions are never "free" for someone like him ever again. Punch him in the pocketbook hard and mercilessly. He'll think twice next time before baselessly defaming someone who cannot answer back.

I like Apple products as much as anyone and I think Daisey should pay professionally for his lies. But no, Apple should not be the one to perform the slap down. Because then Apple becomes the bully, instead of the victim.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    There's no need for the vituperation. I think this is the end of this guy's career in legitimate mainstream theater*. Oh, they won't hang him out to dry. Some will even say nice things about him to defend him but the gigs will dry up after this one. He'll just be toxic material that's all. Legit non-profit theaters have a hard enough time raising funds from corporations and wealthy donors, it'll be even harder if they are associated with this guy who will forever be known as the guy who lied. Repeatedly, brazenly and profitably. Prominent donors give lots of money because they want to smell good. There's no smelling good if your name is linked to this guy's.

*Well, except maybe if he writes a new monologue entitled "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Being Me".
  • Reply 48 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Droo View Post

I like Apple products as much as anyone and I think Daisey should pay professionally for his lies. But no, Apple should not be the one to perform the slap down. Because then Apple becomes the bully, instead of the victim.

Refunds for anybody who saw his show would probably be a good start...
  • Reply 49 of 63
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    If I wanted to hear some buffoon yap, I wouldn't pay to hear this moron, I would just go to a Microsoft annual shareholders meeting a listen to Steve Balmer.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I'm all for facts. The guy has a weight problem. But I don't think we should be dicks about it even though he lied through his teeth about something. He used lies to bully people into seeing his show, and the bully is often the last to know they are the bully. I don't think we should return the bully favor. Take the higher ground.

Sometimes the high road is the best way.

Sometimes it's fun to get down and play in the mud.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Sometimes the high road is the best way.

Sometimes it's fun to get down and play in the mud.

There's no question it can be fun. Daisey was having a blast until it was widely known he was being a dick.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    He still has to apologize to Apple, Foxconn, the workers, people he suckered in who care about the workers, and everybody who buys Apple stuff and then has to deal with the fallout of his delusional guilt trip. Oh, and to Steve Jobs and his family. Then maybe he can hit bottom.

He's still in free-fall. A more unpleasant landing can't be imagined.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    What has happened to that petition that was set up blasting Apple for working conditions?

It was pretty much in reaction to this guy's "work".
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Again with the picture.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Sheesh, some of you people need to chill out. The guy lied, he should be held accountable. If there is a legal recourse for this it should be taken. Enough with the slurs against him directly. Call him a liar, call him unethical, call him a jerk, but don't go further than that. You make yourselves look like bigots. You know who you are...

As a long time stock holder of AAPL, and what it did and could have potentially done to MY money, there aren't enough words, personal or legally to call this idiot. He's lucky he doesn't walk on my street. People like him who have zero self esteem need to fill the gaping hole in their ego with attention seeking. He should work on losing some weight and feeling better about himself. If it's a hormone thing, I apologize. Right.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    They would sue Daisy even if Daisy was telling the truth. Having blatantly lied it will be interesting to see Apple's response.

I hope they take the high versus Samsung's suing the poor bloke who merely wrote the truthful about a company hell bent on domination, often through particularly anti-human, anti-controlled corporate means.

http://consumerist.com/2010/05/samsu...ted-of-cr.html
  • Reply 57 of 63
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY OF STEVE JOBS

Now that he's apologized to everyone aside from the company and individuals he slandered, Mike Daisey continues to grotesquely capitalize on his lies and fabrications regarding America's most mysterious technology icon in this hilarious and harrowing total fiction of pride, beauty, lust, and blatant deception. He illuminates how an unsuspecting dead guy and his obsessions can be the target of a cruel misanthrope and alleged "artist", while sharing stories of his own travels to China and a bunch of other bullsnot he just made up. Daisey's mildly inconvenient journey shines a light on our love affair for scandal and the human cost of apologizing for them. The New York Times had no idea what they were talking about when they hailed Mike Daisey as "the master storyteller", but he's certainly a real piece of work.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drow View Post

THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY OF STEVE JOBS

Now that he's apologized to everyone aside from the company and individuals he slandered, Mike Daisey continues to grotesquely capitalize on his lies and fabrications regarding America's most mysterious technology icon in this hilarious and harrowing total fiction of pride, beauty, lust, and blatant deception. He illuminates how an unsuspecting dead guy and his obsessions can be the target of a cruel misanthrope and alleged "artist", while sharing stories of his own travels to China and a bunch of other bullsnot he just made up. Daisey's mildly inconvenient journey shines a light on our love affair for scandal and the human cost of apologizing for them. The New York Times had no idea what they were talking about when they hailed Mike Daisey as "the master storyteller", but he's certainly a real piece of work.

Brilliant!

You should email it to Mr Daisy so he can use it!
  • Reply 59 of 63
    I don't get it. On viewing a Daisey clip way back before NPR, way back before Real Time, I saw a carpet bagger who was quite obviously screwing the truth while picking Apple because it brought him attention. Secondarily, his own problems are showing through his act.

How is it that anybody had any faith in his BS, or took him seriously, at all? Daisey is?and was?a damaged item.

Suddenly the revelation that he was a fraud becomes Big News? Next, you will be saying that Rush Limbaugh had a bunch of sane, appropriate ideas over the years.

I say, when it looks like a Beck, quacks like a Beck and waddles like a Beck; it's a Beck.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Sorry for the harshness of this post, but I think Apple and Tim Cook should sue the living crap out of this blowhard moron to make sure such lies and distortions are never "free" for someone like him ever again. Punch him in the pocketbook hard and mercilessly. He'll think twice next time before baselessly defaming someone who cannot answer back.

You really think Apple want a court to go through what parts of Daisey's commentary were true or not?

The conversation on the street goes something like this now...

Person 1: "So how about those horrible work conditions in China? It really makes me think of the impact of my 1st world purchases"

Person 2: "Oh, didn't you hear? That Daisey guy made it all up. Everything is actually fine. BTW he is really fat"