Australian government accuses Apple of 'misleading' 4G claims with new iPad

1468910

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 197
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post


    Good point. The iPad 3 will NEVER be LTE compatible in the UK in its current format



    Fixed.
  • Reply 102 of 197
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Fixed.



    Fixed what?



    You missed the point. The iPad in the UK & everywhere else except the US & Canada should NOT say 4G anywhere on the box, on the website, on their adverts, on anything at all. They should make no mention of it whatsoever.
  • Reply 103 of 197
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Basically, the Australian "authorities" are idiots and cannot read fine print or do not understand what "up to 4G" really means.



    Up yours, Aussies.
  • Reply 104 of 197
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post


    Fixed what?



    You missed the point. The iPad in the UK & everywhere else except the US & Canada should NOT say 4G anywhere on the box, on the website, on their adverts, on anything at all. They should make no mention of it whatsoever.



    What are you basing your 4G definition on? Who is your source for 4G definition? Link please.
  • Reply 105 of 197
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post


    Fixed what?



    You missed the point. The iPad in the UK & everywhere else except the US & Canada should NOT say 4G anywhere on the box, on the website, on their adverts, on anything at all. They should make no mention of it whatsoever.



    <sigh>



    OK, once more from the top...



    The ITU, the international body responsible for defining telecommunications standards, has redefined 4G to include HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA, in addition to LTE (and Wi-Max). If that offends your delicate sensibilities, perhaps you could more effectively take the matter up with them?



    In the mean time, as long as Apple isn't advertising LTE functionality in the UK -- LTE service which, I might add, doesn't even exist outside Bristol and possibly Cornwall -- why shouldn't they sell this as a 4G-compatible device, which it is? Or don't Three, Orange, Everything Everywhere, etc. support DC-HSDPA and HSPA+?
  • Reply 106 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post


    Okay, it notes on the Apple Australia website, "4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the US; and on Bell, Rogers and Telus networks in Canada. See your carrier for details."



    http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/compare/





    Only in the fine print and that doesn't fly in this country. You cannot have a big banner saying one thing and tiny small print saying something else.



    ISP's were prosecuted here for using the term "unlimited" but then using throttling when you went over a capped limit.
  • Reply 107 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Telstra also has 4G (within 5km of capital city centres), but that doesn't stop them advertising it Australia wide.



    Show me where Telstra have said that?? It's quite clear on there website to me.



    http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-in...dband/bigpond/
  • Reply 108 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Hill60, why is it a footnote, intended as a technical clarification? Do you really honestly believe that a footnote is proper notice considering the site is only for Australian buyers of iPad's intended for use in Australia?



    You are correct and this is very much illegal in this country.
  • Reply 109 of 197
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post


    Only in the fine print and that doesn't fly in this country. You cannot have a big banner saying one thing and tiny small print saying something else.



    ISP's were prosecuted here for using the term "unlimited" but then using throttling when you went over a capped limit.



    So Apple sells a device that is capable of a particular network connection but is not allowed to advertise that fact because carriers of a particular country aren't capable of supporting it. So Apple can't advertise there Macs can get 802.11n with spatial streams if I don't own a router capable of that connectivity, or is the connectivity still inherent to the device? Could someone who is from a rational country or traveling to one be confused to see the iPad (3) with only 3G?



    PS: I'm stil confused as to why So many countries have made a marketing term cannon while ignoring the ITU-R's definition of 4G.
  • Reply 110 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post


    And as it states right under the ad on the Australian site, which is the same as the US and Canada sites,





    And on the Australian iPad Store, it clearly lets you choose a model and further states:





    This is a world-wide launch. Attempting to satisfy all the idiosyncrasies for every country and having to modify each and every time it changed would be ludicrous. One would think that Aussies never leave their continent.



    And this is a country (as all countries) that post laws such as:





    P.S. No one is immune from such stupidity.



    By the way, my car has a top speed of 220 km/hr. Should it have a sticker on it that states, "Not in your driveway".



    So Apple is above the law in each country is it? The Italian government didn't think so....
  • Reply 111 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    If you buy it somewhere else and travel to the US, it suddenly becomes 4G compatible and you CAN use it on 4G i.e. it is 4G.



    btw, what about parts of the world with only 2G available, would they need another disclaimer?



    So I have to travel to another country to use the feature of the product?? Dumb argument...
  • Reply 112 of 197
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    It's like Ground Hog's day around here. Again, the ITU is the definition that everyone first grabbed onto but they changed their definition in 2010. So why do you continue to use their antiquated and out of data definition? Also, since when is a cardinal number followed by a letter protected by and governed by the US government? Could you not call the iPhone 4 the 4G iPhone without being sued by the US government? Did we not refer to many iPods in this way without it being confusing we weren't referring to the ITU's definition of 2G, 3G, and 4G?



    The ITU has not yet completed this work, the recommendation based upon the work in 2010 is still in process.



    "These technologies will now move into the final stage of the IMT-Advanced process, which provides for the development in early 2012 of an ITU-R Recommendation specifying the in-depth technical standards for these radio technologies."



    http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/p...s/2010/40.aspx



    Perhaps if the governments spent more time supporting the standards groups to get this work done we would have a world wide standard that manufacturers could build upon.
  • Reply 113 of 197
    It's only been 10 days or so... More BS is about to come from crybabies around the world looking for a payday!

    I've seen the ads and they say "up to LTE" speeds and state what carriers it will work with.
  • Reply 114 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    So Apple sells a device that is capable of a particular network connection but is not allowed to advertise that fact because carriers of a particular country aren't capable of supporting it. So Apple can't advertise there Macs can get 802.11n with spatial streams if I don't own a router capable of that connectivity, or is the connectivity still inherent to the device? Could someone who is from a rational country or traveling to one be confused to see the iPad (3) with only 3G?



    PS: I'm stil confused as to why So many countries have made a marketing term cannon while ignoring the ITU-R's definition of 4G.



    Correct, it's illegal...in this country anyway.



    Apple's biggest crime is the iPad 2( I have one) didn't get the personal hotspot with 5.1 too! :P :P :P :P If they left it out on purpose just to promote the new iPad then thats just a very shitty cynical thing to do!
  • Reply 115 of 197
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post


    The ITU has not yet completed this work, the recommendation based upon the work in 2010 is still in process.



    <snip>



    Perhaps if the governments spent more time supporting the standards groups to get this work done we would have a world wide standard that manufacturers could build upon.



    btw, based upon the 2009 proposal, even current LTE and WiMax proposals are not considered to be 4G. The specifications of the 2009 proposal call for 1Gb/s stationary and neither of those standards meet that mark. Until LTE-A and WiMax2 are released, according to this proposal, there are NO 4G devices anywhere in the world.



    Is Australia ready to sue every manufacturer and service provider that is currently advertising 4G for their products?
  • Reply 116 of 197
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post


    So I have to travel to another country to use the feature of the product?? Dumb argument...



    You have to travel to the US or Canada to use LTE (a very specific acronym) but you can use 4G in any country that supports HSPA+ or better, providing your local networks support the bands in the device.
  • Reply 117 of 197
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post


    Correct, it's illegal...in this country anyway.



    OK, then show me laws that state only LTE Advance can be called 4G and that you can't call something 802.11n capable if the customer can't connect to said network. In guessing you won't be able to find either.
  • Reply 118 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    OK, then show me laws that state only LTE Advance can be called 4G and that you can't call something 802.11n capable if the customer can't connect to said network. In guessing you won't be able to find either.



    The main point the ACCC is making is you can't sell something in big bold letters then say it won't work in the fine print. It's misleading and luckily for us Aussie's illegal.
  • Reply 119 of 197
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post


    The main point the ACCC is making is you can't sell something in big bold letters then say it won't work in the fine print. It's misleading and luckily for us Aussie's illegal.



    Has the ACCC begun proceedings to sue Telstra for misleading 4G claims since their network does not meet the ITU-R's requirement for 1Gb/sec in the recommendation that they are still writing? Otherwise they are all working off an ITU-R document that states that HSPDA+ is considered 4G.
  • Reply 120 of 197
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post


    The appropriate amount used as necessary.



    Regarding the labelling of the cellular-enabled iPad in the United Kingdom, it should be labeled '3G' because the 3rd generation of mobile telecommunications is the highest generation of standard mobile telecommunication services the iPad supports in the United Kingdom.



    Furthermore, the cellular-enabled iPad supports frequencies within the spectrum band of 700 MHz to 2,100 MHz. However, the scheduled 4G LTE network in the United Kingdom will use the 800 MHz, 1,800 MHz and 2,600 MHz cellular bands whereas the iPad supports 4G LTE on the 700 MHz and 2,100 MHz bands.



    They aren't advertising 4G LTE in the UK (or other countries), why don't you look up the 4G standard in particular, the definition pertaining to HSPA+ which IS available in the UK and Australia.
Sign In or Register to comment.